HELP! Confused about Protein powders..?

Options
I've recently been really wanting to purchase a kind of protein powder that I can make shakes with or watever because reviewing my diet, I defintaley know that I am not getting enough protein. After doing some research on all the powders out there.. I AM SO CONFUSED AS TO WHICH ONE I PERSONALLY SHOULD TAKE! type? brand? ugggh.
Anyway I'm 22 years old, Height:5'0" Weight:148 Goal: 115.
Can anybody help me? Suggest product you are taking? Have tried? Anything? Anyone? =)
THANKS!!

Replies

• redpaisleyrose
    Options
    I can't help but recommend Herbalife. That is what I use and since Aug 24, have lost 10 pounds. My husband lost 50# this past year and being stubborn and waiting until "i was ready" did not start when he did. I can say I actually look forward to my shake, and I feel much better, and my knees don't crunch anymore.
  • bevskiwolf
    bevskiwolf Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I use the GNC Pro Amp. They are pricey but with a gold card and bulk buying, you can't go wrong and the price drop is phenomenal. They have extra enzymes and it's just yummy!

Be sure whatever you do, go for WHEY.

I used to use the Whey one from Wal Mart. Don't remember the brand. Worked great the first 18 months. Then we found GNC and just love it and haven't looked back.

Don't forget to log it and and if you can get milk called Skim Plus in your area, I highly recommend it.

xoxoxxo
    Bevy
  • chicago_dad
    Options
    Did a ton of research on this. Optimum Nutrition *natural* vanilla Pro Complex. That's the only protein powder I'll use.
  • glockster972
    glockster972 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I use the GNC Pro Amp. They are pricey but with a gold card and bulk buying, you can't go wrong and the price drop is phenomenal. They have extra enzymes and it's just yummy!

Be sure whatever you do, go for WHEY.

I used to use the Whey one from Wal Mart. Don't remember the brand. Worked great the first 18 months. Then we found GNC and just love it and haven't looked back.

Don't forget to log it and and if you can get milk called Skim Plus in your area, I highly recommend it.

I also use this one. The choc. and cookies and creme are pretty good.

xoxoxxo
    Bevy
  • knjantz
    knjantz Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I've recently been really wanting to purchase a kind of protein powder that I can make shakes with or watever because reviewing my diet, I defintaley know that I am not getting enough protein. After doing some research on all the powders out there.. I AM SO CONFUSED AS TO WHICH ONE I PERSONALLY SHOULD TAKE! type? brand? ugggh.
    Anyway I'm 22 years old, Height:5'0" Weight:148 Goal: 115.
    Can anybody help me? Suggest product you are taking? Have tried? Anything? Anyone? =)
    THANKS!!

I highly suggest light muscle milk. Get the already made kind. It tastes good and has a ton of protein without a bunch of calories. You can find it on bodybuilding.com just put it in the fridge and after a work out, its ready to go.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    Costco sells a good protein for cheap. It's made by Cytosport, makers of muscle milk. A 6lbs. bag for $40. 78 servings, 27 grams of protein per serving, very little carbs, good BCAA ratio as well.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,699 Member
    Options
    Like chicago, I like Optimum Nutrition products. IMO, go to GNC, buy a good whey protein powder in a flavor you like and test it. If you don't like it, GNC will take it back and either refund you or exchange it for another brand.
  • heyghoge
    heyghoge Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    i've been taking the Body Fortress brand (go for vanilla)... purely b/c it's a couple bucks cheaper than the other brands (about $16 for 2 lbs. compared to $18-21+). i bulk it up by blending with 80-100g or so of frozen fruit -- easy way to get extra fiber/fruit in one sitting that way too!
  • is4031
    Options
    I've used this for years and really like it:

Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Whey Protein - Extreme Milk Chocolate

The vanilla is good for mixing with other stuff (fruit smoothie/shake.)
  • ltl_leah
    ltl_leah Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I really like Met-Rx Isolate Whey Protein and Gold Standard Whey Protein. They have several tasty flavors and mix really well because isolate proteins are in a purer form. They are all less than 130 calories a scoop, low carb, and low sugar.
  • MrsRipdizzle
    MrsRipdizzle Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Gold Standard - sooooo goood! Tons of flavors...I've tried double rich chocolate and caramel toffee fudge...both are great!! 24 grams of protein to a scoop but you can take more than a scoop at a time and it mixes very easily with water or milk. Amazon has a GREAT price on it in the bigger container!!
  • MissD89
    MissD89 Posts: 102
    Options
    Great info!! THANK A WHOLE LOT GUYS!!! I'm going to look on Amazon see if I can find that optimum Gold Standard. For now, I might try and purchase something cheaper while I wait for my order to come....I have 3 kids which equals a LOW BUDGET :sad: :smile:
  • Giddeaon
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Whey Protein

It's hard to beat Optimum Nutrition. They make a great product that stands up year after year to studies on the actual contents of protein powders (not all companies are honest about what they put in) and in customer reviews. I've got 5 or so favorite flavors (all are quite good, though I'm not a vanilla fan).

If what you want is a protein powder without a lot of "extras" added in to make it taste like ice cream, or to load it up with carbs and chemicals, I'd check out Optimum Nutrition. Google search to see the overwhelmingly good reviews.
  • katemanning3
    katemanning3 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    You need to be careful with protein powders if you aren't working out every day. They can cause you to pack on the pounds. So stick with whey protein, made for lean muscle and watch the calories and fat. If you are going to use them, I would reccomend using it after your workouts, not before. I would look for one more designed for women. Alot of those powders are designed for men and body builder types. You can also try balance bars or Zone bars. They are more like a meal/snack replacement, not really meant to add to your body mass, just make up for what you aren't getting. You can also try slimfast, same thing. I would definately make a trip to GNC and ask them exactly what they would reccomend for the body type your going for and your activity level.