Feeling helpless...

Options
5 years ago I lost 30kg and felt fantastic. I stuck with my controlled eating for 2 years, and kept telling people that I'm never going back, how much better I felt having control over my eating habits. I still ate McDonald's sometimes, or other treats, but was extremely strict about portion control etc. Then, Christmas 2015 I went to a friend's Christmas party and it was cheese themed.... The flood gates opened, I lost control, and since then, I've never been able to get back into gear. Since then I have steadily regained all the weight I had lost, but a little bit more. I am now the heaviest I have ever been, at 105kg.

Every day I battle with myself, telling myself I need to get healthier - I have backache, my knees are hurting, I have heartburn all the time. Type 2 diabetes runs in the family and I really don't want to get it. I am desperate for help, no matter what plans I make, what routines I write out for myself, I fail and fail and fail again. What can I do? How can I find the discipline to stop overeating, to eat healthier?

I cook fresh meals every day, and they are not the problem. My main meal of the day ranges between 400 and 600 calories, but it's what I have in-between. I am a single parent and I work full time. I don't smoke, I don't drink, and I can't afford to go on holidays - food is my luxury and my comfort. I am often lonely, and always tired. If anyone has any advice, I would be so happy. Thank you!

Replies

• Christiexx93
    Christiexx93 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    No advice but I will add you as a friend x
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    A lot of reframing is needed here, in my non-professional nosy-parker opinion. The words you choose to describe your actions, as well as yourself, are so negative...so damaging. No wonder you wouldn't progress.

You may have failed in the past but that does not have to be your present or future reality.

Perhaps check in with your work as to whether your health insurance plan (if you have access to one) gives you a cost reduction on seeing a therapist or psychologist.

That may give you an additional boost while you use MyFitnessPal!

In the meantime, welcome to the forums. Let us know how else we can help!
  • 7rainbow
    7rainbow Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Hey there,
    I'm a total comfort food eater too! Between my depression, anxiety, and PTSD I'm always turning to sweets to feel better. Snacks are my downfall. I've gotten a lot better recently, so here is my advice!:
    a) Moderation. I'm a cookie fanatic, and can legit eat 16 a day not realizing. Telling myself "I'll only have 2 a day" doesn't work, I've tried. So, right when I make them I put them all in ziplocks of 2, then there is no "cookie jar", I get one ziplock baggie, that's all. It seems simple but it works so well for me, try portioning out your snacks too, see if it helps!
    b) Grocery shopping. If it's not in the house, it's a heck of a lot easier to avoid. Try grocery shopping when you are full, such as after dinner, and avoid any sweet aisles if you can. I can't resist chocolate chips, but if they aren't in the house, I'm not going to go buy some.
    c) Substitution. Whatever your craving is, don't give it up forever, but try to have it less by finding a yummy replacement. I'm currently making a ton of homemade muffin recipies. Banana toffee, oatmeal spice, you name it! Sure, they aren't cookies, but they fill my sweet tooth craving for less calories, and I don't end up eating a ton of dough like I do with cookies. Now, I'm hoping to make cookies about once a month or two instead of every week.
    Hope these suggestions help a bit! Good luck, you've got this!
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    It helped me to actively seek out other sources of comfort. If food is your only comfort, of course you can’t let it go! I also had to get proactive to solve some long-term stresses in my life.

I don’t know your situation, but if there are other people around who can or should be helping more with the kids, laying down the law and demanding help might be worth it. Get creative with your thinking - is there any way you can get yourself some time to rest? If not, well... you have my sympathy. But if it’s not a good situation try to visualize what could lead to a better situation in the future, and take steps to get there.

In the short term, make a list of things you love which make you happy and find ways to do more of them. Instead of snacking, listen to music and dance, for example. You may think you are too tired, but funny thing, when you force yourself to make an effort to do stuff you love, you get more energy. Self care can help. I have a friend who likes to imagine herself into pictures of beautiful places.

Hope any of this helps, best luck to you.
  • jamalayesha86
    jamalayesha86 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    This looks like my story... I was always an obese child, the maximum weight I ve crossed is 105kgs.with the help of diet and exercise, I lost 35kgs.. in 2017 July,i was at my lowest weight i.e 70kgs but then I started working , and my diet routine changed couldn't find time for exercise ,started eating junk food, going out with my colleagues for lunches and couldn't follow the healthy diet, gained back all the weight which I lost in span of 3yrs ...now I m back to 100kgs. Need help to lose weight
  • barrmichelle9
    barrmichelle9 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I am like you I was down several years ago said I was never gaining again and then I got sick found out I had cancer and did treatments for two and a half years and steroids made me gain 50 pounds onto the rest I needed to lose. And now I can't exercise or walk because of bone pain from chemo, I was just about to give up. Just found this app on Tuesday and have lost 6 pounds. So don't give up. Keep working I know it's so hard. And I have 90 more to go but keep your mind on your goal, take and look at it happy each pound you lose. And remember we all have bad days count them off and start over the next day. Best of luck to you. If you want to add me as friends you can.