Ok explain this, cos im clearly thick....

Options
So, if i have a packet of noodles and it says 100g of noodles = x amount of calories, i weigh the nest of noodles, ots 62g, but then the packet says prepared weight of 62g cooked noodles = 183g so its x amount of calories. How? How can water rehydrating noodles increase the amount of calories?

Then take convenience noodles (think like micro noodles or super noodles) and its a nest of noodles plus a packet of flavouring, in my case the packet basically makes it a spicy noodle water lol, the noodles themselves weigh 69g which should be 75cal per 100g, but when cooked the bowl of noodles weighs 350 including the water.

Do i take dry noodle value or do i take the prepped weight and why?

Replies

• AsthmaticHippo
    AsthmaticHippo Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I take the unprepped count of everything that goes in the pan. In this case I would add the 62g noodles @ X*0.62 + 0 for the water

Only if the packaging is being very misleading and they are actually stating that 100g prepped =X. Which would equate to a little over half of the unprepped noodles
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Options
    🤔 This is why I try not to mess too much with processed food. Do you have a picture of the package's nutritional values that you can post, @PaulThomp23?

If not, I'd just take the dried value and call it a day (especially since all you did was add plain 'ole water).
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    the packaging should state whether the nutritional value is based on prepared or as packaged/uncooked. it should also state the serving size (I know I've seen some packages of noodles that are intended to be 2 servings instead of the one that most people would consider it)

a photo of the nutrition facts on it would definitely help us answer your question better :)
  • PaulThomp23
    PaulThomp23 Posts: 38 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    So youll see it says 100g of prepared product = 75 calories. The noodles when i weigh them dry are 69g, so if i boil them and they then weigh 300g, why would adding simply water mean the calories go up so much.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,127 Member
    Options
    So youll see it says 100g of prepared product = 75 calories. The noodles when i weigh them dry are 69g, so if i boil them and they then weigh 300g, why would adding simply water mean the calories go up so much.

Prepared noodles contain a lot more moisture 'mixed in' with the calories - they are less calorie dense. Uncooked noodles usually have around 350 calories per 100 grams. By cooking, those calories are spread over a larger volume (adding water volume).
  • cmhubbard92
    cmhubbard92 Posts: 5,018 Member
    Options

Prepared in your case means with the water.
    The 69g of dry noodles has all the calories, but they expand when you add and cook with water. So, 100g of cooked noodles will give you 75 calories by your example. You would still have 2 other servings(200g) left. The added water isn't giving you extra calories. I would suggest you just weigh the noodles as prepared, to follow the nutritional info.

Here is a random noodle nutrition label I found. Your label probably looks similar the way you describe(obviously the calories are different). If you follow the preparation directions, you would have weights similar to this package. This label does not give a dry value, so you wouldn't be able to say 100g dry = 133 calories, it would be much higher.
    t48ddmujmb8t.jpg