Foot pain on the elliptical

Options
Has anyone else experienced this? If so what can I do to fix it? Seems like after a certain amount of time on the elliptical machine the balls of my feet and some times my toes start to burn and hurt. I remember feeling this when I worked at at the gym several years ago too...what causes this? Any ideas what I can do to stop it?

Thanks!

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    Has anyone else experienced this? If so what can I do to fix it? Seems like after a certain amount of time on the elliptical machine the balls of my feet and some times my toes start to burn and hurt. I remember feeling this when I worked at at the gym several years ago too...what causes this? Any ideas what I can do to stop it?

Thanks!
    It's the consistent pressure on those areas. Unlike running or walking, the whole foot takes the pressure, but on ellipticals and bikes, the main pressure is on the balls of the feet. Try moving your feet around from time to time or push from your heels occasionally to reduce it.
  • Kywesley
    Kywesley Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you may be having some friction between your foot and your footwear. You might want to try a friction reducing sock liner in a well fitting shoe.
  • Womona
    Womona Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options

Thanks!
    It's the consistent pressure on those areas. Unlike running or walking, the whole foot takes the pressure, but on ellipticals and bikes, the main pressure is on the balls of the feet. Try moving your feet around from time to time or push from your heels occasionally to reduce it.

Thank you for that advice! I have the same problem and it's really annoying, especially since I get the best cardio workout at the gym on the elliptical. I thought it was just me!
  • Womona
    Womona Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you may be having some friction between your foot and your footwear. You might want to try a friction reducing sock liner in a well fitting shoe.

I'll have to look for those! Another good suggestion!
  • secondrowchick
    secondrowchick Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem - also when walking for long periods of time. I found some insoles in a walking shop that helped reduce pressure points on the balls of your feet/big toe which really helped. They were made out of two types of gel. This is what I used but there are others on the market.
    http://www.trekmates.co.uk/online-shop/insoles/trekmatesreg-double-shock-gel-insole
    Jenny
  • twocsmom
    twocsmom Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Thank you everybody! Will give all your suggestions a try!
  • cuddlyrunner
    cuddlyrunner Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I posted this same question a couple of days ago! I've changed my trainers to some New Balance walking ones and today was better-my feet weren't desperately painful until after the first hour, someone did suggest I wear fitflops on the elliptical to see if that made a difference as they are toning shoes-I'm tempted but I don't want to be laughed at!
    Also, make sure that your shoes are not tied tightly as this restricts the blood flow x