Powerlifting for weight loss/ Motivation

Options
Kind of a long post..

I am 6ft6 and 323lbs AKA clinically obese (down from 364lbs). I have been following a beginners powerlifting program for 6 or more months. Although my primary focus should be on losing fat rather than building strength, I find that you can do both. Admittedly, I am losing weight slower as Im not always in a caloric deficit (in order to build muscle and perform better). On my off days I will go into around a 500 to 700 calorie deficit and usually be fasting for about 18+ hours. But I am definitely getting stronger, much stronger! Seeing the progress, which I write down every workout and increase each workout is extremely motivating. I went from barely being able to bench press the bar to benching 260lbs for example(Not that impressive to a real powerlifter). And suffocating on the elyptical machine after 5mins to doing 30mins+ a day. Not to mention my legs are getting THICC lol and my arms and shoulders aswell. This is what motivates me, to actually see progress and doing something fun.

I think alot of people get caught up in what they think they need to do and just end up getting burned out because it doesnt motivate them. This may seem obvious, but for people who are like me and have been over weight/obese their whole lives may not realize or think there is other ways. Its easy to over complicate working out with all these different programs. You dont even NEED to go to the gym if you love playing soccer for example. Just go to a field and kick a ball around for a couple hours a day. If you love swimming make your self go swimming everyday. If you have a gym membership than look at it as something that helps you improve your swimming or your soccer, boxing, rock climbing, baseball, powerlifting, strongman, basketball, bodybuilding, running, etc. Dont look at excersise as a linear thing, it can and should be applied towards something. If you dont have anything like that to apply it towards, remember not to over complicate your workouts and remind yourself why you are doing this. Also I recommend finding some kind of exercise related hobby that you would enjoy as it will help boost your "lifestyle change" which will keep you motivated..

What keeps you guys motivated?

Replies

• SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Kettlebells and boxing sparked my love affair with exercise. I started lifting last year and have been able to get a reasonable amount of kit to work with at home during lockdown. I'm loving it.
  • Cody0103
    Cody0103 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Oh thats cool, ive wanted to do some boxing classes. My gym actually let me come and take a bunch of their stuff to my house to use during lockdown. They are open now so i had to return it, but have been thinking about kitting my spare room out with a power rack and some weights.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,811 Member
    Options
    Cody0103 wrote: »
    ....If you have a gym membership than look at it as something that helps you improve your swimming or your soccer, boxing, rock climbing, baseball, powerlifting, strongman, basketball, bodybuilding, running, etc. Dont look at excersise as a linear thing, it can and should be applied towards something.

I started going to the gym specifically to build upper body strength to achieve yoga arm balances. Who knew I’d learn to love the gym, too?

And it worked!
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    Glad to hear you are in it.

Especially resistance training during your weight loss which is often overlooked and sometimes regretted in some compacity.

Training for me relieves chronic pain, depression, helps slow joint deterioration, etc...I gravitated to it some 40 years ago and it in itself is motication to live a better quality of life.