Overwhelmed with Macro-counting (Newbie)

Options
I am new to the world of diet and macro counting. Still reading in to this and trying to understand how it works and how best to implement this in to my life. Working out which percentage might be best has kind of scared me away from giving this a go as I’ve felt overwhelmed with all the reading.

Advice and assistance would be much appreciated.

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    What are your goals? All you need is a calorie deficit and assuming weight loss is your goal.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Dittos.

And if what you are reading hasn't asked about your goals to give a clue about advice given - stop reading those sites.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    to lose weight, calories are king.

generally the people who are most concerned with macros either have dietary restrictions or requirements or are into some variety of competitive sport (even if its only competing against themselves). in generalities, those into strength training are particularly concerned about protein. Many runners pay attention to getting enough carbs for fuel, etc. Thats certainly not true for every person who goes by macros, but it is true for many.

but to lose weight (assuming that is your goal).... all you need to worry about are calories. You find, over time, that certain macro combinations may fill you up more, or leave you more hungry. But that comes with time and logging and noticing trends.
  • goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a particular reason to be concerned about macros, like a doctor has advised you to do that, or if you're training for a particular athletic goal, you don't have to worry as much about how many grams of carbs/fat/protein you should eat. And if you just started tracking your food at all, give yourself a week or so to just gather data and see how you do eat, in terms of both raw calories and macro/micronutrient breakdown, so you have a clearer idea of what changes you should make to better meet whatever goals you have for yourself.