Losing weight

jimsessions8
jimsessions8 Posts: 41 Member
edited March 2021 in Health and Weight Loss
Well I've been trying to lose weight twenty years now.i more or less gave up.so I saw your comment when you put your intake for the day.ot said if I ate around 1400 to 1500 calories per say I would weight 235 in five weeks.so I said why not .so I thought I'll try it for 5 weeks and see if they are lying.so the last 5 weeks I've been eating around 1500 calories a day.well what do you know.i went from 290 to 235 in 5 weeks.

Replies

• harper16
    harper16 Posts: 2,564 Member
    You lost 11 lbs a week? I don't even see how that type of deficit is even possible, or even healthy?
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    I hope you have you are using the, Guided set up, I only say this because I'm concerned for your future health. I accept you have a significant amount you can loose and this has give you such a start. Please check you are in guided set up because your height and activity levels can make such a difference to the calorific intake your body requires to be healthy working well. I fear you may make yourself unwell. Take care there is only one of you and everyone is an essential part of this and any community.
  • sunnyca98
    sunnyca98 Posts: 6 Member
    Jim, that's pretty awesome! I'm usually not 100% on plan but...good to see MFP is pretty accurate!
  • Sand_TIger
    Sand_TIger Posts: 1,072 Member
    edited July 2020
    I wonder if it was really 260 to 235? 290 to 235 shouldn't even be possible unless you are a recent bariatric patient.

(I edited this when I found that what I originally said was untrue - apparently some bariatric patients manage 5-15 pounds a week at first if they have a lot to lose, but are under close medical supervision.)
  • deepsea117
    deepsea117 Posts: 30 Member
    I'm hoping you just worked out a lot...because you might be risking your health otherwise. 290-235 in a month isn't like 490-435, or even 390-335 in a month.

Talk to a dietician as soon as you can just to know for sure it's safe and you're not causing damage.
  • philfitt
    philfitt Posts: 3 Member
    Sometimes people will find they lose a lot of weight in the first week or so, your body flushes out excess water along with a little fat. It's nothing to worry about at all. I lost 12 pounds in the first week of healthy eating and exercise, then for the following 3 weeks I lost 5 pounds a week. The rate has now gone to a steady 2 pounds a week. I make sure to eat good and healthy for 6 days a week and then one day I have a blowout, I eat whatever I want and still lose weight. You need that cheat to stop your body working against you.
  • Sand_TIger
    Sand_TIger Posts: 1,072 Member
    philfitt wrote: »
    Sometimes people will find they lose a lot of weight in the first week or so, your body flushes out excess water along with a little fat. It's nothing to worry about at all. I lost 12 pounds in the first week of healthy eating and exercise, then for the following 3 weeks I lost 5 pounds a week. The rate has now gone to a steady 2 pounds a week. I make sure to eat good and healthy for 6 days a week and then one day I have a blowout, I eat whatever I want and still lose weight. You need that cheat to stop your body working against you.

Very true - and that happened to me, though in a more limited way. However the OP was talking about losing an average of 11 pounds per week for five weeks straight, and I was wondering if the original weight might have been 260, not 290, because if it was it would match the numbers provided.
  • John772016
    John772016 Posts: 113 Member
    deepsea117 wrote: »
    I'm hoping you just worked out a lot...because you might be risking your health otherwise. 290-235 in a month isn't like 490-435, or even 390-335 in a month.

Talk to a dietician as soon as you can just to know for sure it's safe and you're not causing damage.

Agree with @deepsea117 , Check you plan with an RD.
  • jimsessions8
    jimsessions8 Posts: 41 Member
    Well trying to get blood sugar down and lose weight.trying to take it easy with stuff with sugar in it .need to exercise more .I got a step counter ..trying to do over a 1000 steps a day.and cut down on food intake.only eat when I'm hungry.
  • NexAmore
    NexAmore Posts: 10 Member
    someone needs to correct there weight 290 -235 11pounds a week 5 weeks at just 1500 calories or even a 1000 doesnt make mathematical sense either correct it or explain more details exercise routine pills drugs etc etc etc because no matter how you look at it seems to be a error on poster or just not giving full details.
  • joyanna2016
    joyanna2016 Posts: 323 Member
    Definitely a typo.
  • HerNameIsMischief
    HerNameIsMischief Posts: 158 Member
    I've lost 17 lbs in two or three weeks, assuming my scale at home will read the same as the scale where I am right now (flying home today). I did my best to eat only when hungry, but I think a lot of this rapid loss is because I've cut way, way back on my alcohol intake, which was getting ridiculous. I was drinking more calories in booze per day than I was eating. I'm hoping I've said bye-bye to the 280s and 270s for good. I'm 6'3", 268.6 as of 20 minutes ago, which is still pretty bad, but the scale IS moving in the right direction.
  • julane1974
    julane1974 Posts: 1 Member
    Today is (about) my 1 year anniversary of hitting my goal weight - hooray! Needless to say, I have had ups and downs but I have kept to my 5 pound rule (pretty much). I have lately fallen off the wagon and had too much sweet tea - it's my downfall - so starting tomorrow it's back to the basics of keto. I really have no problem with intermittent fasting and, with cutting out the sweet tea, I should be back in the swing soon. Hope you hang in there as it DOES work!