To Mayo or Not To Mayo?

Options
2»

Replies

• acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,622 Member
    Options
    But if you have room to splurge, nothing beats a homemade alioli.
    https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/grand-aioli
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    I don't mayo. I was always sorta meh on the stuff, and my spouse has a gag reflex to it and all of its creamy cousins like yogurt or cream cheese, so I've just learned alternatives depending on what I'm going for:

Creamy sandwich spread or cracker/chip base: fresh smashed avocado
    Tangy sandwich spread: a mild mustard or chutney
    Slaw or salad binder: one of the following depending on the flavor profile I'm going for) mustard & honey, vinegar & peanut butter, soy sauce & ginger garlic paste
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    I switched to light mayo, but I don't mind greek yogurt as a sub in some things (tuna is one - i like tons of pickles in my tuna so I can't really tell WHAT is binding it at that point). Egg salad? About 1/2 tbsp of light mayo and more mustard. BLT or turkey sandwich? Mayo. Period.

Basically I use a lot more acid now than I used to, but it works out for most things.
  • westrich20940
    westrich20940 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    If I'm making tuna or egg salad...I would always just use real mayo. It's classic.

I have found that I like using greek yogurt (I think Fage isn't as 'sour' tasting as some other brands) for dips and such --- but I do always still add a bit of mayo to it.
  • LazyBlondeChef
    LazyBlondeChef Posts: 2,809 Member
    Options
    I use Primal Kitchen Chipotle Lime mayo in my tuna. It's made with avocado oil. I find the major brands of mayo to be rather gross and full of the type of oils I have no interest in ingesting. I do like my homemade mayo but it's a commitment since it will only last for a week or so. When I was younger I used mustard in my tuna sometimes which was OK but not ideal.

But I don't see any reason not to use regular mayo if you like it.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Through years of logging, I learned that I often used way more volume of condiments than I needed to enjoy my food. Creamer in my coffee and tea, dressing on my salad, cooking oil in the pan, mayo or ranch in my tuna or chicken salad, ketchup on my burgers. Try putting your jar on the food scale and seeing how much you are typically using and does that calorie hit make it hard to stick to your calorie goal without struggling with hunger. Try using 3/4 of that next time, and stick to that a few times to see if you really needed your original amount. Try continuing to reduce your serving size until you reach the point where it's not enough. You might find that you can be perfectly happy with less once you get used to it, rather than trying to find some lighter substitute!
  • mydogisthebestdogever
    Options
    Curry mayo is everything. Just mix curry powder with mayo and you can use on anything. Especially good on salmon and on tuna sandwiches!
  • MercuryForce
    MercuryForce Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    KatyP86 wrote: »
    Yesss to Mayo! 😋

I use full fat mayo because to me it tastes the best. There's nothing wrong with using mayo if you just make sure you have enough calories to eat it that day. I have it maybe once a week. A tablespoon (100 calories) in a sandwich or small egg salad. Easily fits into my calories and tastes amazing 🙌

Enjoy your mayo guilt free hun! 🤗

That's what I do too. I've found with a lot of substitutes, they don't hit right and so I end up eating more or doing more snacking to make it "right"
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,714 Member
    Options
    I don't use mayo but would use Veganaise, Primal or other new plant based mayo. I love Wholefoods Dijon mustard too.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i dont make much of anything like that but I do have a chicken salad that I make for my lunches on occasion. I use half to 3/4 of plain greek yogurt in place of the mayo and the rest mayo (a 'light' one. i use dukes olive oil reduced calorie whatever its called)i didn't like it with ALL the yogurt but the half and half or even 3/4 / 1/4 mix I am good with. I've never tried it with tuna salad. again, not something I make often but when I do, I use the mayo.

on sandwiches and what not I use the same mayo. my average sandwich only has 7 grams of mayo on it, so not a big deal, no matter what I use, really.
  • whoami67
    whoami67 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I either make my own (but I'm out of the oil I use and am waiting for the proper season for my olive grower to have more available) or I use Kraft regular mayo, the best tasting may. If I'm having tuna or egg salad, it needs real mayo.
  • NunyaWest
    NunyaWest Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    It’s “Blue Plate” Mayo here - just can’t get away from it 😂