Extreme Couponing!

Izable2011
Izable2011 Posts: 755 Member
edited October 2 in Chit-Chat
I think I want to get into this couponing fad. Unfortunately all I have is Walmart. Those of you who are into couponing, do you think I could pull it off at a walmart?

Replies

• bjenny12345
    bjenny12345 Posts: 118 Member
    I am not an extreme couponer, but I do coupon and have saved about $7500 since October 2009! It is really awesome! I would recommend you check out www.hip2save.com and www.totallytarget.com also www.printablecouponsanddeals.com! They are the best! Good luck!
  • wutamunkee
    wutamunkee Posts: 440 Member
    How do yall do on coupons for HEALTHY food?
  • bump
  • My daughter coupons at Walmart all the time and saves tons of money. Usually she has a flyer which she price matches and then uses her coupon often her stuff is next to nothing and sometimes free.:smile:
  • iysys
    iysys Posts: 524

seriously! every time i watch that show it is all ramen noodles, processed frozen crap, chips and candy.
  • How do yall do on coupons for HEALTHY food?

Thats the problem. There are no coupons for fresh produce, lean meats, ect. Eating healthy isnt cheap.
  • mynika
    mynika Posts: 312 Member
    bump
  • How do yall do on coupons for HEALTHY food?

thats my problem! never for anything i'd eat!

If anyone knows how to save on healthier things, please advise!! :flowerforyou:
  • Walmart does price match so look thru other store ads and take them with you if there is something on sale. It must be the exact item.
  • I was a walmart cashier and I've seen it happen not only in my lane, but on multiple other occasions in different lanes.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member

Same here! My husband and I just had this convo he asked why I don't use coupons more often I replied because they aren't for the things I buy or that we eat. I'm not going to buy something just because I have a coupon! I suppose I should take advantage of the cleaning supply ones etc but I wish they would make healthy things more affordable!!
  • sehein7
    sehein7 Posts: 78 Member

You can't save much on healthy foods (occasionally there is a coupon for something healthy), but you can save LOTS of money on health and beauty items (soap, toothpaste, shampoo... that kind of stuff) and cleaning & laundry supplies. By saving lots of money on those things, you have more money to put towards your healthy food items. Walmart will even GIVE you cash back if the value of your coupon exceeds the sale price :wink:
  • I coupon. First you can't expect to have the results you see on that show every time you go in. THey probably don't either. On food I save about 30% of my bill, on none grocery that i can buy at walgreens and CVS I save about 75% of my total bill. I have only been doing this for about 2 months and already I have saved a ton. The websites the other girl mentioned are good, and Krazycouponlady.com is also good. Good luck!
  • jmcharles52
    jmcharles52 Posts: 12 Member
    livingrichwithcoupons.com and if you facebook different place put coupons on their pages. Or just going straight to company webpages. Or "The Frugal Army Wife" has a blog you can google or like on facebook, she post all kinds of deals not just for military. I got 2 NCAA hoodies for $32 after shipping and tax cause of her. Normally it would have been $50 for 1 hoodie. Great for christmas gifts. I'm not an extreme couponer but I try to save where I can and thats a couple of way that have helped me.
  • jrhstarlight
    jrhstarlight Posts: 867 Member
    bump thanks :)
  • I went with my friend (the one that got me into couponing in the first place) to walmart last night. She got about 90 dollars worth of stuff, and they paid her .22 cents to take it all home. It was rather fun to watch.
  • Johnnyswife
    Johnnyswife Posts: 1,447 Member
    Do those places have manufacturer coupons on their site? We have a store that doubles those but the only ones I find localy are ads for store deals...that isn't the same is it?
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Save
  • glockster972
    glockster972 Posts: 704 Member
    My daughter coupons at Walmart all the time and saves tons of money. Usually she has a flyer which she price matches and then uses her coupon often her stuff is next to nothing and sometimes free.:smile:

^^This. My wife does this all the time, she saves a ton of $$.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    I follow this...

A coupon does not save you money if you would not have bought it anyway.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    bump
  • losemybabyweight
    losemybabyweight Posts: 218 Member
    Bump! Thanks for all of the great links
  • juleseybaby
    juleseybaby Posts: 712 Member

Thats the problem. There are no coupons for fresh produce, lean meats, ect. Eating healthy isnt cheap.

Very true - coupons for produce and meat are few and far between - but don't let this discourage you. If you have an Aldi anywhere close - they often have lower prices on produce. Also - if you are saving money by price matching and couponing on health/beauty and staple items - it doesn't hurt quite as much to pay full price for the produce, etc.
  • rpphillip
    rpphillip Posts: 230 Member
    My daughter dose it,she has 5 kids and is a stay at home mom. she save on everything and her kids eat heathy and she cooks at home alot. she cuts coupons and also she gets them in the mail from marsh and Kroger. she also dose the price matching shopping and for other than food she use's the internet alot. but all of that is very time consuming.
  • Izable2011
    Izable2011 Posts: 755 Member
    One thing I plan on keeping in mind while couponing is to only use the coupon on something I would normally buy.
  • mscoco10
    mscoco10 Posts: 527 Member
    i do it a lot. I use coupons foe everything. You use your coupons to get discounts on your health / beauty / home care needs. The you you can use in store savings coupons to buy your lean meats and veggies. Couponing is fun.
  • Ooh, thanks for info!
  • bump.

We don't get the Sunday paper anymore -

Where are some good sites/resources for coupons? Do y'all go directly to Redplum or SmartSource's sites?
  • KathyEarhart
    KathyEarhart Posts: 94 Member

Same here! My husband and I just had this convo he asked why I don't use coupons more often I replied because they aren't for the things I buy or that we eat. I'm not going to buy something just because I have a coupon! I suppose I should take advantage of the cleaning supply ones etc but I wish they would make healthy things more affordable!!

I've got coupons for organic foods, meats and dairy. Granted they aren't as common as the junk food ones; but that doesn't mean they don't exist. I don't even cut coupons for junk food, that way I'm not tempted to buy it. I save the most money with coupons on household & personal items- we all (or most of us) use toilet paper, paper towels, soap (generally free), shampoo, razors (get the $10 razors for $1 or 2), toothpaste (I never pay for toothpaste and all I use is Crest), toothbrushes (also usually free), deodorant (free to .50), feminine hygiene items, and so on. I also get laundry detergent (only buy Tide and get good deals), Downy, Lysol, Clorox wipes, toilet bowl cleaner, Febreeze, Windex, Dusting Spray and etc. On the food, most of us use condiments and basics that there are coupons for. Things like mustard (free), mayo or miracle whip ($1 a jar for brand name), ketchup, olive oil, brown rice, dry beans, frozen vegetables, whole grain breads, healthy cereals, granola, and dairy products. I also have a baby and get Pampers & Huggies Diapers for $3 a bag (typically $9.99 a bag). I get formula coupons and can get the premixed formula for free to $2.97 (my baby is on the most expensive hypoallergenic stuff, so it's usually $7.97 a premixed can or $26 for a small can of powder, versus the $4.99 for regular premixed cans and $13 small can of regular powder formula.) I buy Gerber baby food for about 1/2 of retail. You name it, you can usually find a coupon for it or at least a good deal. It's all about how you do it and most people, even when eating healthy, can save a lot of money with coupons. One of my favorite things to do for produce is go to the farmers market (or a local health food store that carries local produce) and buy, it's generally cheaper, healthier and fresher.

My mom couponed when I was young, so it was natural for me to do it once I was footing the bill. I'm a stay at home mom, so every bit helps, that way we can live frugally but well and debt free. I also coupon for clothes, my girls only wear Justice, but I always buy with a 40% off coupon and generally they have an additional 40% of clearance, which makes it cheaper than Wal-Mart or Target. I'm super organized with a binder full of coupons, and put probably 2 hours into coupons a week.
  • bumpy
This discussion has been closed.