Tips for Exercising NEEDED

Options
Hello everyone. I was wondering, how do you push yourself to work out during the week? I always do so well on weekends and maybe working out a couple times during the week but on days that I work in the week, I always make excuses to not work out and I just get so busy with work that sometimes I forget to even take a break to work out haha so I am trying to get in a routine to working out at least 5 days a week, but I would like to do some type of movement each day. Please don't respond with, "just do it" because it's easier said than done. So I would love to get some insight from anyone that has been in my shoes and how has your routine been? and, or what works for you?

Replies

• rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I'm a swimmer. My ymca my now requires lap lane reservations. Once I make that reservation, I feel very obligated to keep it

Post COVID, that discipline of scheduling my workouts and then honoring that in my calendar is my big takeaway
  • Drex_617
    Drex_617 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Hi, I think the thing that works for me is to have a goal each day.. so set a goal for today and kick its *kitten*.. then tomorrow set a goal and kick *kitten*..

One day at a time
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Baby steps.

Plan on just a small workout - even 10 minutes. My goal used to be 60 minutes a week. 6x10, 4x15, 3x20, etc.

I kept a spreadsheet, but you could mark it on a calendar like stevko suggested. Make regular activity a normal part of you routine. Then increase your goal time.

I used a variety of exercise videos. Youtube is great for that. Keep trying new things until you find something you really like to do.
  • AshHeartsJesus
    AshHeartsJesus Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I am doing Sydney Cummings workout challenges now and I at least do that every day and I like to add on some other type of movement. It is just something I want to do. If I "had" to do it or pushed it off until late in the day I would not be successful. I do mine in the morning after breakfast and coffee 😎

LORD JESUS guide 💙
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    Hello everyone. I was wondering, how do you push yourself to work out during the week? I always do so well on weekends and maybe working out a couple times during the week but on days that I work in the week, I always make excuses to not work out and I just get so busy with work that sometimes I forget to even take a break to work out haha so I am trying to get in a routine to working out at least 5 days a week, but I would like to do some type of movement each day. Please don't respond with, "just do it" because it's easier said than done. So I would love to get some insight from anyone that has been in my shoes and how has your routine been? and, or what works for you?

Why the bolded?

The answer to that may help know what to do.

Some people think exercise is needed to lose weight, and that's the only reason they do it - at some point that can lose motivation - like eventually reaching goal weight.
    Some people want to improve their health, and don't know what level is really needed to accomplish that so go all in.
    Some people want the stress relief.
    Some people want to eat closer to normal level with their family so they do more to eat more for more options.

Why did you start working out and why every day?
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    What helped me get started on a routine was doing short hard workouts first thing in the morning. I made myself do fifteen minutes stationary bike, because the bike is right here, doesn’t require workout clothes, and I can’t use weather or injuries as an excuse not to ride it, and I can measure how hard I am going. I figure I could handle being actually on fire for fifteen minutes, riding a bike hard is nothing! I would ride it hard enough to get sweaty, then go shower and start my day.

If you don’t have a bike a short active YouTube video would work. If fifteen minutes seems like too much, pick a ten minute or even five minute video. The main thing is to get started and do it. You will probably end up feeling like, hey, I’m here, I might as well keep going. Feel free to do that! The thing is, promise yourself you will do five minutes, even if you do nothing else, then do it.

The other thing that helps me now that I have more of a routine and am a runner is pretending I’m not going to work out. Seriously! I tell myself, I’m tired, I don’t feel like running, the weather is yuck and my knee feels tight, I will just take an extra rest day. Meanwhile I am putting my hair up in a ponytail, putting on my gear, and driving to the trails. Oops! Now I’m running, how did that happen?

Do whatever you need to do, to trick your brain so that it can’t sabotage your goals.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    Options
    I like doing many of the things I do, and want to do them for fun, so it doesn't take willpower.
    I feel better if I exercise. I like feeling better.
    Sometimes, I have "appointment workouts", either a class or an agreement to meet a friend, so it's harder to decide to skip.
    I want to stay strong so even-older Ann has a happier and more satisfying life. Sometimes I work out for future me.
    Lately, I'm feeling the need for fresh air and natural light as a mood enhancer, so I take walks outside when the weather isn't too challenging (Winter here, snow/ice/cold, and I walk on the road shoulder, so sometimes it isn't comfortable or safe).
    Most days, I do a few "snack sized" exercises in spare moments, when I might otherwise be waiting or if I can do them while doing a chore (Example: I do side leg raises while pulsing the button on my electric coffee grinder, calf raises while working at the sink.)

I row, and love the on-water part. Winter is harder, because rowing machine realistically isn't as much pure fun. Sometimes I do it for some of the reasons above, but I also do it so that I don't have to start from scratch in fitness at the beginning of the next on-water season.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    you dont have to work out to lose weight. you lose weight in the kitchen.

the key is to find something you enjoy, and make it a habit. It could be a walk on your lunch break during the day. Or before or after work in your neighborhood. It could be an exercise class ( I used to LOVE zumba. I'm as graceful as an elephant but had fun!).

For me, when I work out (maybe 3-5 times a week and very rarely on the weekends), I have to do it in the morning. Any other time of day and it simply won't happen. What I found, when I first began, was that doing something I enjoyed (even if only a couple of times a week), over time, made me WANT to do it more, and add days. I didn't put a number or self imposed guidelines of when and how to get my exercise in. For me, that works best, and I still go by that and lose weight at a consistent pace.
  • SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I train best fasted, so have to do it in the morning. Even if you find something you like, motivation will only get you so far, so you have to make it into a habit. My habit was to go to the gym first thing. During lockdown, with no gyms open, I might start a little later, but it has been a habit since 2016 and I have realised that exercise is necessary for both my mental and physical health, so I'm sorry to say this, but I do "just do it". It is as much a part of my day as cleaning my teeth. You can try things to push you until you form the habit, like putting time aside in your diary, or putting out your exercising clothes the night before so they are staring at you the next day.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    You have to make it a habit, something that requires as little "motivation" as possible.

Take a good hard look at "why" you end up not working out on work days and figure out how to fix it. Maybe a different time of day? Maybe focus on at least getting a shorter work out in until it becomes a habit, then build from there. Do you enjoy your exercise? Forcing yourself to do something you don't like doing is never going to work. Maybe you need to try different workouts. Do you feel good when your workout is done? Can you come up with some way to remind yourself of that feeling before you start?

It can also help to have a backup low effort "at least I did that" plan. For me it's a 10 minute walk after dinner, or if weather messes that up, I'll march, step-touch, and kick in front of the TV for awhile. I also try to take a quick walk when I wake up - I brush my teeth, throw on some sweats and a hat and hope I don't see anyone I know.

I'm a night owl, so scheduling workout time a half hour or so after dinner works for me on work days. Obviously that would be disastrous for a morning person, who might do better waking up early and working out first thing.

I would never be able to "work out" on my lunch break, but on most days I take a quick walk on my break. All those quick walks can easily add up to 20-30 mins on most days, plus weekend workouts and one or two workday workouts per week.
  • LisaGetsMoving
    LisaGetsMoving Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    I just walk, fit in what I can when I can. It all adds up.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I don't normally have to push because I enjoy my exercise. Why don't you enjoy yours?
    (I also simply get a feel good factor from being fit and strong, that reward is a motivator on those odd days where being a sofa surfer is appealing.)

What are your exercise goals? Training towards a goal I find a lot more motivational than simply exercising.

Now I'm retired I can plan my day around my exercise but when I had a desk job my exercise was either in my lunchbreak or in the evening. I'd frequently be the last to leave at the 10pm closing time.
    My boss was happy for me to have long lunch breaks some days to fit in the gym and other days I'd have short breaks to make up the time.

I don't enjoy or perform well early in the morning, you may be different and planning and getting it done first thing might be an option for you.

• vanmep
    vanmep Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    One of the most fascinating things about weight loss is what goes on in my mind. How is it even possible that ME and ME are having an argument with each other about whether to eat that or whether to get up and go for a walk???

Sometimes self talk is enough to get me out of that - Enough of that sass. Don’t you talk back to me. You could have done a whole workout in the time you have spent thinking about it.

I also have picked activities that I enjoy so I don’t have to push myself as hard. And sometimes, if I’m really sluggish I will pick the easiest workout I do, just to get unstuck. Anything is better than nothing.

The law of inertia (very loosely interpreted) is that when something is stopped, it needs a push to get it going and when something is going it’s likely to keep going unless something stops it. It is the transition from being inactive to active that is hard. And once I am going, I am usually happy to keep going. So I tell myself it is only about three minutes of discomfort while I get myself going and then I’ll be happy.

And if I still am having a hard time, I put on my mom voice and say, “you get your butt up and moving NOW!”
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I like exercising but often found myself finding excuses, that were valid. Especially on work days. Someone on MFP years ago said they roll out of bed and exercise, because they’re always free first thing in the morning.

I get up at 4:40, roll out of bed, feed my cats, and get on my Peloton. I’m too tired to really think about it. 4 days a week before work, that’s what I do. It’s been working for 7 years for me. Also, my goal is to get on my bike, not go fast, work hard, etc.. If I do have a good ride, all the better, but my goal is to just ride for 30 min..
  • Fit_Happens_2021
    Fit_Happens_2021 Posts: 303 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    I think about what the reason is that I am trying to avoid it.

If it is just that I would rather sit and watch a video than workout I give myself a pass, but only one pass per week.

If it is because I am intimidated by a certain section of the gym then I find a way to do those exercises at home. I saved up and bought some weights to use at home.
    (I have never gathered the courage to go to the free weight section of the gym, most probably because I have never had anyone to show me around and I don't know where to start)

If it is because I hate a particular type of exercise - eg. cardio, I find a way to make it fun. I am using a VR headset to do boxing and I really enjoy it.

Change it up now and then and try new things to see what you enjoy.
  • SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    @Amanda_Brit_Expat - what headset do you have and what boxing programs do you have? I got an Oculus Quest specifically for boxing and have both Creed and The Thrill of the Fight. I love it.
  • Alinouveau2
    Alinouveau2 Posts: 6,216 Member
    Options
    I put on my workout clothes and that guilts me into getting myself going.
  • Fit_Happens_2021
    Fit_Happens_2021 Posts: 303 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    @SnifterPug I have the Valve Index and I got BoxVR then more recently PowerBeatsVR. I would say these two are more similar to Beat Saber, so more of a rhythm/music/cardio work out than true boxing, but I have heard good things about The Thrill of the Fight and would like to try it. Which do you like most between TTotF or Creed?
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,470 Member
    Options
    My local yoga studio has in-person classes, and permits me to book up to thirty days ahead of time. I find that scheduling workouts that download to my calendar creates a commitment, especially if there’s a financial penalty for cancelling at the last moment (many studios in my area do this-even if you have an “unlimited” pass).

Also, simply creating a habit helps. I feel at loose ends if I don’t have a morning walk or run now.

Fitness trackers work very well for me. I find closing rings and participating in challenges very motivating. I have a personal goal of closing my movement ring X number of times per day, or reaching X number of move calories burned.

I even invested in an exercise bike to use on days the weather prevents outdoor walking, or to wrap up that last 100 or so calories I need to meet my move goal some days.

Know thyself, and give consideration to what makes you tick. And finding things you enjoy doing and look forward to. Took me decades to learn that exercise isn’t punishment. It can be joy.