High fructose corn syrup...

Options
Anyone else notice this on foods? I saw "no high fructose corn syrup" on the front of a loaf of bread. When I checked the ingredients, one of the top ones was "fructose corn syrup". Don't they just have to move the corn syrup up in the list to allow just the same amount of sugar to be in the bread, rather than down on the list in it's more concentrated form?

Replies

• frugalmomsrock
    Options
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/260556-what-is-the-difference-between-plain-corn-syrup-high-fructose-corn-syrup/

Corn syrup is still in glucose form, while HFCS is in fructose form. I've never heard of just "fructose corn syrup."

What will they think of next?? :o
  • TressaBarron
    Options
    I'm not sure, but when I started trying to cut out the High Fructose Corn Syrup, I found that it comes in many forms by many names to make it extra confusing! Especially now that people are more on the look out for it, they've changed the name. Here are a couple of helpful sites:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/9-common-sources-of-high-fructose-corn-syrup/

http://www.fda.gov/food/labelingnutrition/consumerinformation/ucm078889.htm
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    High Fructose Corn Syrup should be banned. It's a travesty that the FDA in the USA still allows this to be used in processed foods.

Have you ever heard of Paté de fois gras... it's basically duck liver paté where the ducks are force-fed corn so that their livers swell and become very succulent and perfect for making the rich, flavoursome paté that is such a delicacy.

Well that's basically what High Fructose Corn Syrup does to you...

Okay, that's probably somewhat of an over-dramatisation, but it's used to sweeten so many products in the USA rather than just regular sugars. Not sure if it's banned by the EU, but it is certainly not found over here, or at least I can't say I've ever seen any product that uses it.

I know I've said on MFP that no food is bad, well for High Fructose Corn Syrup I'll make an exception!
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    High Fructose Corn Syrup should be banned. It's a travesty that the FDA in the USA still allows this to be used in processed foods.

Have you ever heard of Paté de fois gras... it's basically duck liver paté where the ducks are force-fed corn so that their livers swell and become very succulent and perfect for making the rich, flavoursome paté that is such a delicacy.

Okay, that's probably somewhat of an over-dramatisation, but it's used to sweeten so many products in the USA rather than just regular sugars. Not sure if it's banned by the EU, but it is certainly not found over here, or at least I can't say I've ever seen any product that uses it.

I know I've said on MFP that no food is bad, well for High Fructose Corn Syrup I'll make an exception!

I love you.
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    I try to limit it but turns out it is in almost EVERYTHING!
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    so obnoxious. watch out, they want to rename it to corn sugar. that and partially hydrogenated oils are the source of Fat America.

I remember reading somewhere about a movement to make people more aware of these ingredients. It involved turning an item upside down and backward on the shelf when you discover that it contains an offending ingredient.

I'm not sure how effective it is, but every once in a while I see something upside down and backwards and I wonder . . . was that intentional?

I do it myself just because it makes me smile. Maybe we are a secret society, saving each other time in the grocery aisles--ha!

blessings.
  • MissD89
    MissD89 Posts: 102
    Options

RIGHT! Completely disregard ANY high fructose corn syrup. I try to stay away from it by any means!.. Why the hell wud it need to be in bread??? ummm.. NO, THANK YOU. =)
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    I try to limit it but turns out it is in almost EVERYTHING!

No -- there are alternatives. If you spend a little time checking labels you can usually find a competing brand without it. If not, simply avoid the product completely; make it at home with wholesome ingredients or buy it at a Whole Foods or similar.

blessings.
  • sarahmaryfearnley
    sarahmaryfearnley Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    so obnoxious. watch out, they want to rename it to corn sugar. that and partially hydrogenated oils are the source of Fat America.

I remember reading somewhere about a movement to make people more aware of these ingredients. It involved turning an item upside down and backward on the shelf when you discover that it contains an offending ingredient.

I'm not sure how effective it is, but every once in a while I see something upside down and backwards and I wonder . . . was that intentional?

I do it myself just because it makes me smile. Maybe we are a secret society, saving each other time in the grocery aisles--ha!

blessings.

Love this idea but have never heard of it! I would like to join your secret society as long as the initiation ceremony is not too painful.
  • sarahmaryfearnley
    sarahmaryfearnley Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    and this post totally reminds me of the SNL sketch on the subject. funny stuff.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I avoid HFCS like the plague. I've read too much about it to want to consume it any longer. I spend extra time in the grocery store reading labels and making sure it isn't there (under ANY of its names!). Now that I've stopped eating it, if I happen to miss it on a label (and it has happened - I bought a pre-made sandwich for lunch at work one day, skimmed the label and didn't see it...hey, I was in a hurry. I only had 30 mins for lunch... ) and consume it -- I bloat up REALLY bad. My body doesn't like it when I consume it.

There's nothing positive at all about HFCS.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,453 Member
    Options
    I recommend this video (well you guys already know it's bad but this is a great scientific explanation of what it does exactly): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM

It's a bit long. Not flashy but great information!!
  • duqtape
    duqtape Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Its not HFCS, it's "corn sugar" and your body can't tell the difference. Sugar is sugar!

Duh!

The TV commercial funded by the Corn Council, or whatever they are called, told me so! How is that not right? The TV told me!
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Its not HFCS, it's "corn sugar" and your body can't tell the difference. Sugar is sugar!

Duh!

The TV commercial funded by the Corn Council, or whatever they are called, told me so! How is that not right? The TV told me!

AND, I read it on the internet...
  • Cbecons
    Cbecons Posts: 12 Member
    Options

Oh, but you Brits have that horribly wonderful thing called Golden Syrup! I don't think it's an additive unless I am making flapjacks for the kiddos of course!
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options

blessings.

You would be turning almost everything upside down and backwards as most all processed foods have either HFCS or trans fats in them.................
  • Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options

Duh!

Hahaha!

Yeah, and We're from the Government here to help ... :laugh:
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I believe everything the government has to say. :laugh:

Anyway, I don't buy anything with it in it. I stopped shopping at mainstream grocery stores because it is almost in every single product you pick up.
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    [Oh, but you Brits have that horribly wonderful thing called Golden Syrup! I don't think it's an additive unless I am making flapjacks for the kiddos of course!
    we do indeed have Golden Syrup which does contain fructose, but it's not used as an additive to sweeten foods, although it is used in baking such special treats as treacle spronge pudding and yes flapjacks, both of which are so calorie dense that you need to do tripple-workouts for at least a week afterwards to compensate :laugh: