Kinda new

Options
Hello,

I just really started using this app again.

I found out in March I had Breast Cancer. Finished 11 of 16 chemo treatments, had surgery, finished 32 radiation treatments and just took first dose of tamoxifen. All this stuff puts the body into crazy changes and weight is one of them.

I lost 34 pounds after chemo doing ww app but felt old school counting calories would be best for me.

BUT, this app does not seem to work very well, buttons dont work, goes pitch black and my fitbit does not connect all the time. Its discouraging becuase I may have to try different app.

Also would love to find a breast cancer group on here, but its so glitchy.

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    The app does have it's downsides, there are often bugs/glitches.

I don't notice them that much as I use the web version during work hours and only really use the app version for logging my food.

Never had the buttons disappear or had it go pitch black on me though, perhaps try re-installing it.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    @AnnPT77 may be able to point you in the direction of the groups you're looking for?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,200 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    karma278 wrote: »
    Hello,

I found out in March I had Breast Cancer. Finished 11 of 16 chemo treatments, had surgery, finished 32 radiation treatments and just took first dose of tamoxifen. All this stuff puts the body into crazy changes and weight is one of them.

I lost 34 pounds after chemo doing ww app but felt old school counting calories would be best for me.

BUT, this app does not seem to work very well, buttons dont work, goes pitch black and my fitbit does not connect all the time. Its discouraging becuase I may have to try different app.

I'm sorry the app isn't working well. If reinstall doesn't work, maybe open a trouble report through the Help function. Those aren't normal ways for the app to behave.

But, back on the point: Unfortunately, I haven't seen an active cancer support group (breast or general) on MFP. I actually don't see that many people who mention cancer in their introductions or other posts, so maybe weight loss is not as popular as one might assume among survivors? (In non-pandemic times, I belong to a good-sized in-person breast cancer support group. Offhand, in that large group, I can only think of one or two, besides me, who lost a meaningful amount of weight post-treatment, or who even talk about trying . . . and the group's conversations are quite diverse, plus I know that the group saw me lose weight, and I remember another member who lost quite a bit of weight on WW and discussed how beneficial it had been, so the topic was opened.)

FWIW: I'm a long term survivor of stage III locally advanced breast cancer, five tumors in my left breast (largest 3.1cm), one in my right breast, one positive lymph node (left). I was diagnosed in 2000, when I was 44, had bilateral mastectomies (left modified radical, right simple), no reconstruction (choice), 6 months of chemo (3 months each of Adriamycin/Cytoxan and Taxol), around 6 weeks of multi-field radiation (left), 2.5 years Tamoxifen, 5 years of Arimidex. NED now, 20+ years later.

You probably know that weight management and exercise are believed to be risk-mitigating, both for initial development of BC, and for recurrence or metastasis. So, good show, you, for working on weight loss! I was obese at diagnosis, and stayed obese for another 15ish years, but soon after treatment newly became very active (joined a BC survivors rowing team, got addicted to the sport), even competing as an athlete. I often wonder whether that level of exercise was an element in my surviving without recurrence for this long, from a relatively advanced stage.

Back in 2015, I did pretty much what it sounds like you're doing, finally committed to weight loss, lost about 28 pounds with another approach, then decided to come to MFP. I reached a healthy weight later than year, and have stayed at a healthy weight for the 5+ years since, all using MFP. (I'm now 65, still active, but no longer competing . . . I think. 😉)

I'm not really all that active in the friend/timeline side of MFP (more of a Community forum kind of a gal), though I do accept friend requests. I wish you a quick resolution to your current technical problems with the app, and much success in reaching your weight and fitness goals with MFP!
  • Drex_617
    Drex_617 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Hello,

Hi, I forwarded you to an awesome friend of mine who is a breast cancer survivor, she’s amazing..
  • Kel_77__
    Kel_77__ Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hello,

Hey there! (Thanks D for the shout out ^^^☺️) I am his friend, a recent Stage III Breast Cancer survivor. I finished chemo in March. I put 20 lbs on from the steroids, and maintenance drugs do make it harder to lose, I agree. But, I’ve used this app since Oct and I’m down 21 lbs. I’m not aware of any support groups here, but I’d be happy to be your friend if you chose to stay and be your support buddy! 🤗💞💪🏼
  • Kel_77__
    Kel_77__ Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hello,

Hey there! (Thanks D for the shout out ^^^☺️) I am his friend, a recent Stage III Breast Cancer survivor. I finished chemo in March. I put 20 lbs on from the steroids, and maintenance drugs do make it harder to lose, I agree. But, I’ve used this app since Oct and I’m down 21 lbs. I’m not aware of any support groups here, but I’d be happy to be your friend if you chose to stay and be your support buddy! 🤗💞💪🏼
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    Options
    wow...what a year 2020 has been for you. Hugs to you