bananas - best for energy or for sleep?

Options
I've heard and read different things from tons of different sources. some say that bananas are a good source carbs with natural sugars so they give you energy throughout the day, therefore it's best to eat them before something like a workout. but then I've also heard that they release tryptophan into the body, which relaxes it, so they're good to eat for a bedtime snack.

bananas are one of my favorite fruits and I'll eat them all day every day no matter what time it is hahah, but I do have trouble sleeping so I wanted to clarify which of those facts is true.

thanks, and have a lovely day everyone :)

Replies

• kadoodle76
    Options
    I eat them before bed. They relax me and make me feel full. Might be different for different people.
  • klkopa
    klkopa Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    i'd say energy, i have one in the morning before a workout and it keeps me going. also tryptophan is an amino acid in proteins and bananas have very little protein. so i feel like theyd be more for energy than sleep. but i could be completely wrong, i am by no means an expert on the matter.
  • aimibean
    Options
    I'd say for energy, I always eat them for work out go-go juice. :D
  • pixiechick8321
    pixiechick8321 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I eat before surgery (watching/helping, not having) so I'd say energy, steady nerves, better blood flow...ie, awake time!