Pain while running

Options
People, I recently started running and, despite the pre-workout heating stuff, I get this weird pain: its a tingling between my foot and the beginning the shin, exactly on the border, and it feels like there's something there stopping my foot (when I'm lifting the toes), and it's so intense I almost fell once. Does anyone know what this could be?
Ps. - shoe size is perfect and propper for running.

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Shin splints?
  • Erachma
    Erachma Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Shin splints?
    No, the description of that doesn't meet what I feel. I don't feel soreness on the leg, it's just that random tingling and sudden freeze of the foot @.@.
  • Drex_617
    Drex_617 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Erachma wrote: »
    People, I recently started running and, despite the pre-workout heating stuff, I get this weird pain: its a tingling between my foot and the beginning the shin, exactly on the border, and it feels like there's something there stopping my foot (when I'm lifting the toes), and it's so intense I almost fell once. Does anyone know what this could be?
    Ps. - shoe size is perfect and propper for running.

That could possibly be a tendon strain or a stress fracture.. it’s hard to tell from your description
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Were the shoes fitted by a professional running shoe store where they analyzed your gait to be accurate for “your” foot. Not all proper running shoes are appropriate for every foot.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    Possibly something called exertional compartment syndrome, which is basically where your shin muscle swells while running, which pinches a nerve or blood vessel, causing tingling & pain in that area. Try taking an anti-inflammatory, and also ice your shin muscle for a few minutes before running, to reduce any swelling. If you take any supplements containing creatine, stop, because it makes it worse.
    Let us know how it goes..
  • bcalvanese
    bcalvanese Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Put your finger on the spot that hurts and point your foot up and down. If you can feel it moving (or kind of creaking) then it could be inflamed tendon. I had that once and it hurt like hell. If that is the case you need to take it easy until it heals.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    It's not likely a shoe thing (we runners obsess over shoes), it's the "new runner" thing. You have to work into it very slowly. A "C25K app" works you through run/walk intervals, which is perfect. You can go through it however slowly you need to avoid stress injury, which can sideline you for a long time.

As for your current problem: See a doctor or nurse. Then a PT. Over zoom, if necessary.

But, the most common treatment will be Ice, Advil, and Rest. Put ice on it right after running. Take Advil if it keeps hurting. Take a good break between workouts to let your body recover. Typically, you skip 1-2 days as a beginner and maybe forever. You can sometimes get away with walking on your non-running days.

Best of luck.
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    Have you experimented with not lifting your toes so high? I had a pain diagnosed as "shin splints" that went away when I stopped lifting my toes so high.
  • luceegj
    luceegj Posts: 246 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    Try some Kwan Loong Oil on the area and most certainly have a break from running. Maybe try some other form of cardio. Many people take up running because of the accessibility but unestimated the impact it has on the body.

[Edited by MFP Staff]