Can oatmeal plus protein powder be good?

I love oatmeal with milk, but I don't often have it recently because the protein to calories ratio isn't to my liking. So I figured I'd add a scoop of vanilla protein powder. And it was utterly horrendous.

It seems I did screw up by adding the powder at the start instead of the end when it was boiling. I added some extra milk too, though maybe not enough. Perhaps it's that this specific vanilla powder (Costco Dymatize 100 with stevia) tastes like crap imo, although I didn't think it would overwhelm the oatmeal goodness like it did.

Can this combo actually be good? Or should I never try this again?

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,023 Member
    I can only do around a third of a serving of protein powder to be edible in oatmeal. I actually mix it into the water/milk before combining it with oats and a little peanut butter and microwave it.

Having said that, different powders work differently and even different flavors of the same brand. In my experience you kind of have to play around with it
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    If it tastes like crap, I don’t think adding it to oatmeal will make it taste any better. You could take it back to Costco, they have a very generous return policy.

Putting lipstick on a sow. Lol
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,907 Member
    edited January 2021
    I add the protein powder to three ounces of milk and whisk it well.

Then I cook the oatmeal with the regular water.

At the very end I put the milk/protein powder in and just stir it well enough to heat. I've found if I let it cook too long it breaks. The flavor is good, though. I use whey vanilla powder. The plant based one which has stevia tasted yucky to me in oatmeal, though I like it with fruit and water.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    I use protein powder in my overnite oats instead of milk. I mix almonds, chia, cinnamon, dried blueberries, frozen raspberries, and chopped tart apple with 20g oats and 10g whey protein powder (french vanilla or white chocolate and raspberries). I like it.
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,430 Member
    edited January 2021
    Thanks. Pre-mixing the milk and powder sounds like a good idea. I'll try that next time. And maybe just a half serving of protein.

My wife did attempt to return the powder but they said no. It was an online order. However a friend did the same thing and was successful, so maybe it was a ymmv thing. Not a big deal, it was their pre-Xmas I think special of buy 2 get 1 free, and we returned 1 of the 3 for a full refund, end result got 2 for half price each. I'm never getting the Costco Dymatize again though. All of the Dymatize I've gotten from Amazon have been delicious.
  • Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    I make overnight oats high protein by adding in 1/2 scoop of protein powder and about 1/2 cup greek yogurt to a 1/2 cup of oats. I've found different recipes on pinterest. There's usually some almond milk involved and other flavorings, like vanilla extract, fruit, peanut butter, and even chocolate chips. You could also try adding in unflavored powder to cooked oatmeal, but you have to be careful with the ratios as it does change the texture. I
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    I can't handle it. I buy the protein fortified oatmeal and it's fine, but I cannot do the powder in the regular oatmeal.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,443 Member
    Agree with mixing powder and milk first, AND do not overcook!
  • ExpressoLove11
    ExpressoLove11 Posts: 337 Member
    I make my porridge like normal, on the stove, then mix in my protein powder when the porridge is in the bowl. The quality of the protein powder makes a huge difference, ie one of my brands will cook and go lumpy whereas the other blends in like a dream.
  • rhauser44
    rhauser44 Posts: 43 Member
    Protein powder does not combine with everything tastefully. Why not just mix the protein powder with water and drink it separately?
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    I can't handle it. I buy the protein fortified oatmeal and it's fine, but I cannot do the powder in the regular oatmeal.

I can't either, but I'm also not a fan of most protein powders/bars in general.

I'm also thinking that adding a smaller amount at the beginning of the process could help though. Hopefully that works better. If not, definitely worth trying the amazing Costco returns policy.
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Generally, I don't like heating protein powder.

So when it comes to adding it to hot/warm foods like oatmeal, I do so at the end. I don't put it back in the oven, microwave, stove, etc.

Regardless of the protein powder, I use a full serving and make it work 🤷🏿‍♀️

Example: I made a batch of baked Amish oatmeal last week. To that, I've been adding a scoop of my son's "strawberry" whey powder as the finishing touch (because he doesn't like the taste and I don't like wasting money).

It gives the oatmeal a bit of flavour, I suppose, and turns it pink so it feels like I'm eating kid food lol
  • wunderkindking

I'm also thinking that adding a smaller amount at the beginning of the process could help though. Hopefully that works better. If not, definitely worth trying the amazing Costco returns policy.

The big difference with the oatmeal protein is that it's not a powder. There are some kind of little pearls in there and the end result is slightly chewier than usual oatmeal. I don't know how, I don't know why. But I'm a fan. At least it's not powdery and doesn't taste 'proteiny'.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    I think it can work. Add extra liquid and mix it in at the end, and make sure you like the taste of the protein powder.
  • misslizzierod
    misslizzierod Posts: 57 Member
    I've tried it a few times - it tasted kind of yucky and the texture wasn't the best. I have, however added protein powder in my 0% greek yogurt with a little almond milk which was pretty good (like a pudding). I've also added protein powder in oatmeal waffles and those were great.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member

The big difference with the oatmeal protein is that it's not a powder. There are some kind of little pearls in there and the end result is slightly chewier than usual oatmeal. I don't know how, I don't know why. But I'm a fan. At least it's not powdery and doesn't taste 'proteiny'.

I'm not sure if it's the same kind of thing you're describing, but I do enjoy the Kodiak products. They taste like regular food to me, and not proteiny (I like this word now!). I just bought a tub of Kodiak oats, and in fact had some of the frozen waffles this morning. Plus it seems like an easy way to slip in some extra protein without the nasty chalkiness.
  • wunderkindking

I'm not sure if it's the same kind of thing you're describing, but I do enjoy the Kodiak products. They taste like regular food to me, and not proteiny (I like this word now!). I just bought a tub of Kodiak oats, and in fact had some of the frozen waffles this morning. Plus it seems like an easy way to slip in some extra protein without the nasty chalkiness.

Yep that is EXACTLY what I'm talking about. I love that oatmeal! Better than 'normal' even!
  • luceegj
    luceegj Posts: 246 Member
    Proat are amazing!

The best method is 1min in the microwave, add the protein powder, and then 30 more seconds.

I think if you're adding protein then the milk isn't necessary, opt for water instead.
  • MercuryForce
    MercuryForce Posts: 104 Member
    edited January 2021

I love the stuff! I bought it once because it was on sale and I figured I would give it a try, even if it felt a little gimmicky. Then, it turns out it is actually delicious.

I also kept a box of the pancake mix at work so I could make occasional little afternoon mug cakes when I just wasn't feeling my "healthy" snack. I would mix it with some peanut powder and feel like I was getting a treat, but also getting in some extra protein.

• MidlifeCrisisFitness
    MidlifeCrisisFitness Posts: 1,106 Member
    my protein powder is cocoa flavoured. I use a bit extra liquid in my oatmeal and add the scoop of powder after. Works great.