Lockdown motivation

Options
Anyone had success with lockdown/home workouts? Lockdown 3.0 in the UK right now and each new lockdown seems to make it more difficult to muster some motivation to train! I've been for the odd run, done a few bodyweight workouts... Its just not the same is it?!

Replies

• KickassAmazon76
    KickassAmazon76 Posts: 4,568 Member
    Options
    My gym is in basement, but for months and months was getting no love. I finally got tired of feeling gross and gaining weight, so I decided to start, again.

I decided on a plan... Stronglifts, boxing, and logging my food and have been going strong since about November.

I am lucky that I've built up a pretty sweet home gym over the last ten years, so I can do it all from the comfort of my home.

Big key... Finding someone who will get on your back and harass you for the first while until it becomes habit. Also being active on here makes me feel more accountable.

Lockdown sucks. We've been in code red since November and it's only eased a little.

Hopefully yours is brought under control quickly!
  • Xierrax
    Xierrax Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Running worked wonders for me! I've been a runner on and off before but since the gyms have closed I really took the time to improve. I'm now at a point where running is actually fun and provides me with a good way to take a break from looking at screens so often.

I miss weight training and body weight workouts as I used to do them in the gym and am now not able to as I live on the first floor with many neighbours below and around. I sometimes do them outside but especially now with the colder weather and non-suitable spaces in my area, I resort to running more often than not.

What helped me is picking a goal or event to train to and planning your workouts well. For me the motivation kicked in when I saw improvements in endurance and got furthermore inspired by the UK Spartan races 😉
  • levibuttigieg
    levibuttigieg Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    My gym is in basement, but for months and months was getting no love. I finally got tired of feeling gross and gaining weight, so I decided to start, again.

I decided on a plan... Stronglifts, boxing, and logging my food and have been going strong since about November.

I am lucky that I've built up a pretty sweet home gym over the last ten years, so I can do it all from the comfort of my home.

Big key... Finding someone who will get on your back and harass you for the first while until it becomes habit. Also being active on here makes me feel more accountable.

Lockdown sucks. We've been in code red since November and it's only eased a little.

Hopefully yours is brought under control quickly!

Doesn't look like it's going to be brought under control any time soon here but I have days where I'm more positive than others so I'm taking those days as positives. And my bad days.. Well I cross that bridge when I come to it. Thanks for your input!
  • levibuttigieg
    Options
    I try to remind myself that the quarantine is as much of an opportunity as it is a limitation. The opportunity comes from increased work from home, reducing the time I spend commuting significantly. I'm sad that gyms and pools are closed, but I've spent more time hiking, non-pool-swimming, outdoor jogging, and indoor and outdoor cycling than any other year. I can work upper body with a very simple set of bands and weights at home. (I already owned a little set of weights, moldering in the basement for many years. I cleaned them off, brought them up, and started using them again.)

I'm currently on a dry January kick. I may well go for several months, in fact.

When I'm in the groove, things are great. However, my resolve is frequently tested. Best of luck to you!

That all sounds really positive and inspiring. Well done and good luck for the rest of Jan. Interesting to hear everybody's stories
  • levibuttigieg
    Options
    Xierrax wrote: »
    Running worked wonders for me! I've been a runner on and off before but since the gyms have closed I really took the time to improve. I'm now at a point where running is actually fun and provides me with a good way to take a break from looking at screens so often.

I miss weight training and body weight workouts as I used to do them in the gym and am now not able to as I live on the first floor with many neighbours below and around. I sometimes do them outside but especially now with the colder weather and non-suitable spaces in my area, I resort to running more often than not.

What helped me is picking a goal or event to train to and planning your workouts well. For me the motivation kicked in when I saw improvements in endurance and got furthermore inspired by the UK Spartan races 😉

Yeah I've never been much into endurance activities but I have recently enjoyed running in the ice and snow here! Thanks for your input. Hopefully the gyms open back up soon
  • ClaireBri74
    ClaireBri74 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    A spin bike was a changer for me. I'm a UK Shielder and the last time I went out was March 5th 2020 so its been a long time.

I got the spin bike (now that may not be your thing but the process may work) and then I started looking for apps / videos for classes. I tried a few things and found a platform I really like.

I was always more of a studio person than gym person so have enjoyed the on demand workouts. The difference is I am doing maybe 30% of them with a friend over a web meeting. The rest of the time we do different things at similar times.

Now i'm not sure how men's changing rooms work at a gym but I almost have the chat before when getting changed, we both then do our own thing, then the chat after. Shes a pilates person and i'm cardio and strength.

I honestly don't think I could have stuck to it, increased without this.

Not sure that will help you at all but that was how I got the motivation and then the post exercise sweat and happiness is kicking in so I'm on the positive spiral :)
  • Jackie9003
    Jackie9003 Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    I'm in the UK too and the weather doesn't help, in the first lockdown I was cycling as the roads were quiet and it was sunny, I don't want to risk cycling when it's -2 or below, or sleeting or raining.
    I'm turning my hand to decorating the house instead, it's a workout with a purpose for me.
    Is there something alternative that you could perhaps do?
  • levibuttigieg
    Options
    Jackie9003 wrote: »
    I'm in the UK too and the weather doesn't help, in the first lockdown I was cycling as the roads were quiet and it was sunny, I don't want to risk cycling when it's -2 or below, or sleeting or raining.
    I'm turning my hand to decorating the house instead, it's a workout with a purpose for me.
    Is there something alternative that you could perhaps do?

Great idea. I have to say I've soent the last few months doing loads of walking with the kids, which they love. Out in the woods or to parks. Im moving house soon and hoping to set the summer house type building into a kind of home gym
  • levibuttigieg
    Options
    bubus05 wrote: »
    It is said in every crisis there is an opportunity. When it comes to these damn lockdowns I have to say by having to stay home on and off since last march, being able to focus on my health issues doing my diet regimes properly, I was able to drop off over 80 lbs. The gym closed, I invested in a home bike, some dumbbells, and though I do miss the gym atmosphere the people around me, I was able to improve my overall physical condition. What changed maybe slightly is that the emphasis is now mainly on cardio training. I can't do my beloved bench press but I can spin an hour and a half which I never did before. My main motivation was that being a fat F.F. was bad enough, being a fat piss poor F.F. was even worse. If I can't make money at least I wanted to look good. So I am doing fairly ok physically, financially not so much, but hey I guess there is always a price to pay.

I guess we all have to adapt. Maybe I just struggle more than I thought I would. As a key worker I've kept busy at work but for some reason this most recent lockdown has hit me the hardest. I think because the new year seemed like the light at the end of the tunnel. But I'm moving house soon and hoping to set the summer house type building into a kind of home gym.
  • levibuttigieg
    Options
    A spin bike was a changer for me. I'm a UK Shielder and the last time I went out was March 5th 2020 so its been a long time.

I got the spin bike (now that may not be your thing but the process may work) and then I started looking for apps / videos for classes. I tried a few things and found a platform I really like.

I was always more of a studio person than gym person so have enjoyed the on demand workouts. The difference is I am doing maybe 30% of them with a friend over a web meeting. The rest of the time we do different things at similar times.

Now i'm not sure how men's changing rooms work at a gym but I almost have the chat before when getting changed, we both then do our own thing, then the chat after. Shes a pilates person and i'm cardio and strength.

I honestly don't think I could have stuck to it, increased without this.

Not sure that will help you at all but that was how I got the motivation and then the post exercise sweat and happiness is kicking in so I'm on the positive spiral :)

That sounds really great. My son has taken up martial arts and has done two gradings now on zoom. What would we do without it?! My two boys are a beacon of light for me I have to say. Without them and my wife I think I'd be in trouble. I set up a punch bag for him in the shed but in the new house we'll have more room so I'm hoping to do some bag work and slipling. Maybe invest in some weights too