Scale or something else?

Options
Okay, quick scenerio.

Scale says a 20 pound gain since summer.

All my clothes fit the same as they did 20 pounds ago. I've been at that weight before and I know what wouldn't fit. I should be, at this weight, a good 2 pant sizes up for me.

Any chance my scale is just messed up? Normally I'd sigh and say yeah, I had fun, but I did track off and on most of the time, did keep active.

I ordered a smart tape to start tracking measurements anyway since I freaking hate weighing myself. I usually only weigh myself when clothing doesn't fit (one way or the other). This was more of a "eh, it's the new year, maybe I should get around to weighing myself again).

Even my wife says I look like I somehow lost weight instead of gaining 20 pounds.

Ideas?

Replies

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    Well, I see two options:
    - your scale is acting up
    - you have been doing resistance training which has resulted in more muscle mass and less fat mass (1lb of muscle is more compact than 1lb of fat, so more weight for the same 'volume' of body).
  • goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    There might be something wrong with the scale - low batteries, needs calibration or cleaning. Did it move in the last 6 months, is the floor uneven? Were you like, super bloated and retaining hella water last summer, maybe?
  • temazur
    temazur Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Lietchi wrote: »
    Well, I see two options:
    - your scale is acting up
    - you have been doing resistance training which has resulted in more muscle mass and less fat mass (1lb of muscle is more compact than 1lb of fat, so more weight for the same 'volume' of body).

My wife is on team resistance training, but I know my training has been half-assed enough, combined with being AFAB, I shouldn't have converted over more than maybe a pound of muscle, if even that.

Leaning towards team "replace the scale" here.
  • eryn0x
    eryn0x Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    If you suspect the scale, you could try my tried and true trick: pick up something heavy, weigh yourself with that, then set it down and weigh again. I find this recalibrates my scale. Best of luck. They say weight is just a number and if you're feeling good, then that's perfect evidence.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Could be the scale...but I'd say more likely it is just a different body composition (fat mass to lean mass) difference at that weight.

I'm up about 15-20 Lbs at around 198 Lbs compared to my normal maintenance range of 178-183. I haven't been at this weight in years...the last time I was at this weight was during my initial weight loss and I was definitely in a size 36 waist for my jeans and other pants. That was back in 2012.

When I first got down to my maintenance range in the spring of 2013 I was in a comfortable 34 waist...by the time 2016 rolled around I was in a 32 waist for most of my jeans/pants. That was probably the best aesthetically that I've been and I right now have a picture of that on my bathroom mirror as something to strive to get back to.

In 2018-2019 I stopped hitting the weight room on the regular...I'd go here and there, but not regularly. I maintained my weight range, but by the end of 2019 I was back in a 34 waist and 32 didn't fit anymore without being very uncomfortable despite being in the same weight range I was for 2016. This obviously means that I lost some muscle mass (not unexpected) and put on some fat mass.

In early 2020 I made myself get back into the weight room...relatively short lived for a few months until everything got locked down. I'm just getting back to it now. I still fit in most of my 34 waist jeans/pants, despite being about 15-20 Lbs heavier right now. I'm definitely fluffier and it's quite obvious when I look at that 2016 picture daily...but it's also obvious that my body composition is quite a bit different than it was the last time I was at this particular weight in 2012/2013...my 34's are a bit snug, but a 36 is too loose when there was no way I was getting into a 34 waist the last time I was at this weight.

No fooling myself though...I'm definitely over fat...and like I said, this is quite obvious when I look at that picture from 2016 on the beach where I'm definitely lean with good definition and visible abs (though not what I would call a 6 pack ripped). I don't look horrible or anything right now...and much better than I did years ago at this same weight...but definitely have some love handles going on and a bit of a "turtle shell" for a belly.

TLDR: You're most likely up 20 Lbs and carrying it differently due to changes in body composition...but probably best to be honest in terms of whether or not you have some excess fat to lose or if you're just comfortable where you're at with things.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    Put a gallon of water on your scale and see if it reports 8.3 pounds. Stand on the scale with and without one or two gallon jugs of water and see if it changes by 8.3 pounds per gallon.

The impact of 20lbs depends strongly on your height and on your workout regime.
  • temazur
    temazur Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

TLDR: You're most likely up 20 Lbs and carrying it differently due to changes in body composition...but probably best to be honest in terms of whether or not you have some excess fat to lose or if you're just comfortable where you're at with things.

I'm not too upset if clothes fit the same and I look the same. I could always stand to lose weight and could always stand to be in better shape, but I try to focus less on the number and more on the how I feel, how far can I run/bike, how much can I lift, etc kind of thing.

Going to change batteries, weight some water, then figure out if I care what the scale says or focus on pants sizes and maybe seeing if I can get down another size/belt notch. :smile:

Thanks for the ideas, everyone!