Tips for getting back in shape after pregnancy?

Options
Hello to everyone! I'm currently pregnant and I'm supposed to deliver in April, I would like to be mentally prepared on what to do to get back into shape after pregnancy, and especially to avoid putting on excessive weight during and after breastfeeding.
I used MFP from February to July 2020 (after some failed attemp in the previous years), and was able to lose 5kg. I was never overweight, but I was on the high end of a normal BMI and wanted to lose just some kgs. I was only 2 kgs away from my goal when I discovered I was pregnant! So I stopped restricting and started mantaining at the beginning (you are not supposed to immediately gain weight).
I kept using MFP for a while, but then stopped when my sister in law, who is a nutritionist, gave me a personaised diet to follow to gain weight and get all the necessary nutrients for pregnancy (for instance iron). Moreover, I started a new job where we eat at the company canteen, and so I didn't know the actual calories of my lunch. However, I was never very good at following diets, and loved the flexibility of MFP, so in the end I ended up gaining a couple kgs more then what I was expecting at his point. I don't know where I will end up to at the end, but as long as it is within range is ok, I'm not excessively worried. Unfortunately I had to quit doing any sports because my favourite activity (climbing) is not suitable for pregnants women, I started swimming but then the pools (and gyms) closed due to the covid, and I never was able to workout at home, especially now.
As for the post pregnancy, I know my sister in law will help me again and create a personalised diet plan, but since I know I'm not very good in following them, and would like to start logging in MFP again, I would also like to have some tips by someone who was there before, especially if you used MFP during brestfeeding.
I'm worried because many women I know gained a lot of weight during it or especially immediately after. I know that brestfeeding consumes many calories, but it can also make you hunger levels spike, and so the risk is to eat more than you need, and also to keep eating a lot even when you are breastfeeding less and less during the months, and so consuming less calories... I think MFP would work perfectly because I can adjust my calories if I see changes, and adapt it to what I experience.
So my questions are: have you tried to lose weight after pregnancy? Or have you mantained for a while? What was you experience with breastfeeding? As for exercising, I know I will not have the time or strenght to start exercising for a while, but I would like to start again with climbing as soon as I feel like it. Did you do any form af workout after birth? What helped?

P.s. I would like to add that I know very well that with a newborn my primary thoughts will be for her, and that I will not care so much about my physical appearance, my goal is not to have the perfect beach body in a couple of months, but to avoid the pitfalls of not putting any attention to nutrition after giving birth and finding myself with too much to lose in a couple of years.... Moreover, I would like to feel strong again, after so many months of doing almost nothing....
Thank you in advance to anyone!

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Is this your first baby?

Give yourself lots of grace, and plenty of time. If you plan on breastfeeding, make sure you are not restricting calories too much. Gentle exercise and calorie adherence is enough to start.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    WebMD says 'A woman who was average weight before getting pregnant should gain 25 to 35 pounds after becoming pregnant. Underweight women should gain 28 to 40 pounds. And overweight women may need to gain only 15 to 25 pounds during pregnancy.]

You are in your final trimester which means you should be gaining weight now as baby is growing - you both need the nutrients from your calories so those should be a maintenance cals + 250 calories (approx.)

All the best for the baby coming, enjoy the joy that he/she will bring :smile:
  • Luke_rabbit
    Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    So, many a long years ago, I gained oodles of weight (50+ pounds on top of already chunky) during a pregnancy. Then I breastfed my baby, exclusively for about 4.5 months, and then regularly until he weaned himself around 13 months of age.

He was a fussy baby, so we took walks most every day, sometimes twice a day.

For the only time in my life, I felt thirst! Like constant thirst, so I drank lots and lots of water - so much water. Eating wise, I just ate basically how I always ate. I didn't try to eat more, but, honestly, I was busy and didn't really pay attention.

When he weaned, I was thin, especially my hips and thighs, which never were and never have been that thin again.

Sadly, he got very sick after that and being seriously stressed out and no longer breastfeeding, I gained about 25 pounds in less than 6 months. Boom, huge hips and thighs again. Don't worry, though, he eventually got better and is in his 30s now.
  • ridiculous59
    ridiculous59 Posts: 2,832 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    After my first pregnancy I joined weight watchers. At that time they had a plan for breastfeeding mothers, but that's neither here nor there because it sounds like you have your nutrition guidance under control. I also attended a post-partum exercise class at my local Y. It was very relaxed, with our babies in the workout area with us. We had just moved to a new city where I knew no one so mentally this was a lifeline for me. But I know that with all the stuff that's going on right now this probably won't be an option for you. I had a fussy baby but he was calmed by movement. I walked miles and miles with him every day, discovering my new neighbourhood. He slept peacefully, and I got fresh air and exercise.

It may sound silly, but one of the most important things when you're so busy with a new baby is remembering to eat. Once I was bent down picking something up off the floor and when I stood up, I fainted. I realized that it was almost lunch time and I'd forgotten to eat anything all morning. It frightened me because what if I'd been holding the baby when it had happened! That was the first and last time I ever did that. Set a reminder on your phone if you have to, but always remember to eat.

I got back to my pre-pregnancy weight by good eating, lots of walking and gentle exercise. But like another person said "Give yourself lots of grace". . The most important thing is that you both stay healthy.
  • Semele0
    Semele0 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Thank you very much for all your answers! I know that it will be a busy moment in my life and my priorities won't be on being fit, obviously... But when I wrote the post I was a bit panicking because I'm a bit afraid of when I will have to slowly stop breastfeeding, will I be able to adjust my eating? Many people I know told me their weight ballooned out of control on that time... But you are right, I should take it easy and not stress myself too much! But please keep posting, reading your experiences is very nice 😊
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    edited January 2021
    Options
    I found this thread super helpful while pregnant and breastfeeding.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10176233/gaining-weight-during-pregnancy-and-losing-it-post-partum

In my experience, the more active you can (safely) stay during pregnancy the easier it will be to get back to activity after. This is all based on your current activity level though, its probably not a great time to start new workout routines you arent used to, but if your Dr. is good with it keep doing what you are doing if you can.
    Semele0 wrote: »
    Thank you very much for all your answers! I know that it will be a busy moment in my life and my priorities won't be on being fit, obviously... But when I wrote the post I was a bit panicking because I'm a bit afraid of when I will have to slowly stop breastfeeding, will I be able to adjust my eating? Many people I know told me their weight ballooned out of control on that time... But you are right, I should take it easy and not stress myself too much! But please keep posting, reading your experiences is very nice 😊

The extra calories you burn breastfeeding will directly correlate with your output. If you aren't pumping it might be hard to monitor that. As your baby gets more dependent on solid food is when you would probably start producing less and look at decreasing what you eat a bit.

But, as others have mentioned, give yourself some grace and try not to get too caught up in every little pound. It is a hard time to estimate your body's output perfectly. And hormone changes are always fun! Things will level out in time after you have weaned and taken out all the confusing variables and then you can focus on your weight more seriously again.