heart rate monitor

Options
I want to purchase a HRM but not spend a lot. I also want to have it count calories- any advise on brands?

Replies

• Biancalee76
    Options
    I'm interested as well.
  • chef970
    chef970 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Check out wal-marts HRM in the sporting sections...they are about $30 to $50
  • GreenGettingLean
    GreenGettingLean Posts: 252 Member
    Options

perfect timing - I was just headed out the door to walmart and also thinking that I really need to buy an HRM. now I don't have to drive to the nearest sports store, which is at least an hour away. thanks for the tip!
  • alison2429
    alison2429 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Polar. That is all!
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    I recommend anything by Polar. I have the FT7 which was $100 and I love it. Very accurate and easy to use, plus it's the brand every other site recommended when I was researching. Best money I've spent exept my awesome running shoes!
  • MissMollieK
    MissMollieK Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Great Idea- I am really not wanting to spend $100 (which I found at most sporting goods stores) for a monitor- but I want to track calories on activities that don't have any other way to do so. As well as the other benefits for tracking. Thanks!!!
  • MissMollieK
    MissMollieK Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I recommend anything by Polar. I have the FT7 which was $100 and I love it. Very accurate and easy to use, plus it's the brand every other site recommended when I was researching. Best money I've spent exept my awesome running shoes!
    Do they have a cheaper model that still tracks calories? If you don't know - I can research it. Amazon probably sells their products - or I can see if they have a site as well. Thanks!
  • SusanneWhittington
    Options
    The Sportline at Walmart are not very accurate. I got me the S12 and the SX for my husband, the SX was pretty complicated to go through in menues, the S12 you have to touch all the time to have accurate reading and after 2 months it did not work at all, suddenly in the middle of training sessions I was at 29 %, then back to 70 % HR average, not very dependable. When you want good real results I would invest in a Polar, my first one was still working after 9 years, just did not have all the features that I wanted with it.
  • helper1112
    helper1112 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I just ordered the Polar Ft7 mens from amazon.com for $67 with free shipping. The women's model is even cheaper. Everything I read on it this sounds like a good model to me.

Hope this helps
  • GreenGettingLean
    GreenGettingLean Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    hmm well now I'm on the fence. maybe I'll just wait and ask for a polar for christmas. I only ever eat half of my exercise cals back just to be safe, and I'm still losing consistently, so I'm not TOO worried about it. It would be nice to know for sure what I'm burning.
  • FlyFishinX2
    Options
    I've also been ok with only eating about half of my exercise calories back
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options

Bad awful advice.. Don't listen to it!

Look on amazon.. The Polar FT4 is around 63 and the Polar FT7 I want to say is around 80 last time I checked.
  • jeff261159
    Options
    Polar- no substitute!! Buy cheap, buy twice!! Mines the f6, counts calories, % fat burn, I love it . Hope you get one, good luck!
  • kleguisamon
    kleguisamon Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Do NOT get a cheap one from Wal-Mart. Trust me, I found out the hard way that cheap HRMs suck. The first one I got was some $10 piece of junk from Amazon that was just awful. Then, I decided to spend some money and get a $50 Sportline. It worked great when it decided *it* wanted to work. Some days were perfect, others, it would just crap out in the middle of my workouts and stop taking readings completely. Plus, the only way to get somewhat of an accurate calorie count was to touch the sensors and take very frequent HR readings. That can be tough to do when you're pumping your arms while running, or holding onto handrails on an elliptical. After I got sick of it's unreliabiltiy, I got a Polar FT4 for $63 from Amazon. Love it!!!!!! Can't say enough good things about it!!!!
  • fionat29
    fionat29 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Do they have a cheaper model that still tracks calories? If you don't know - I can research it. Amazon probably sells their products - or I can see if they have a site as well. Thanks!

Polar F4 £40 on ebay. Not fancy but its got the chest strap that you really need. No GPS but it measures heart rate and calories burnt, it's comfortable enough to wear all day if you want to and my watch part of it is a very snazzy shade of red! Lol!!
  • JCS_EVmom
    JCS_EVmom Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Last week I got the Polar FT7 on Amazon, I think it was $72 shipped. I really love it so far, easy to use, accurate,etc.