Super-Fast Breakfast options

Options
First time posting here, how y'all doing?

I am working on meal planning. It's going okay, but the big problem I am having is with breakfast on the days I work. I have severe sleep apnea and narcolepsy, which I use a machine and take medication for. However, I still have issues waking up in the morning, meaning that sometimes I am late coming in to work or don't have enough time to cook eggs.

What are some healthy high-protein, low cal and sodium options? Preferably something I pop in the mic for a couple minutes and can be on the road with.

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    I often make scrambled eggs the night before and then all I have to do is reheat in the microwave in the morning...mostly on my big commute days. Not so much anymore, but I also used to boil a bunch of eggs for my prep and just take a few to work with me.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,425 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    We have a little gizmo ceramic jar thingy from Pampered Chef. Husband puts an egg or whites in it, microwaves them, and has scrambled eggs in seconds. He somehow puts grits in it too, sometimes. I’m neither an egg nor grits fancier, so I don’t know the protocol.

I keep grilled chicken sausages in the fridge, can microwave them and out them in a slice of light bread with some Dijon. I also make several days worth of grilled chopped chicken breast, too. Put it on a Low Carb tortilla with a small spoonful of lite mayo or BBQ sauce, maybe some chopped cherry tomatoes and lettuce, roll em up, and I’m good to go. This morning’s chicken breast tortilla was 199 calories and 33gr protein. Held me til lunch.

Either are super tasty and filling.

Otherwise, a quick scrambled egg white with some chopped ham and a pinch of shredded cheese, rolled in a tortilla.

Stale bread dipped in egg white and “fried” in a dry nonstick pan, with a hit of jelly or maple butter.

Leftover pancakes with jelly or maple butter, or with some shaved deli ham, rolled.
  • goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I prep batches of breakfast burritos on the weekends, wrap them in parchment, freeze them, and eat them for breakfast during the week. 2 minutes in the microwave, flipping halfway, and you're good to go. I've gotten the prep process down to about 2 hours start-to-finish, including dicing up vegetables, weighing and cooking all the fillings, and assembly.

My burritos usually clock in under 500 cal. The bulk of the calories are in the large flour tortilla (220 cal), so I could shave off probably 50-80 cal by using an alternative wrap, but they're all significantly more expensive than the flour tortillas I buy, so for now I spend the calories and save the cash. 50g scrambled egg is about 80 calories; an ounce of cheese is about a hundred calories. I change up the meat I include between bacon or sausage, but that's usually around 60 cal, and you could omit it altogether if you're watching sodium. I also roast some potato with onion and peppers, that's about 60 cal; sometimes instead I'll do sweet potato and black beans for the same amount of calories.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Egg McMuffins - grease a 9x9 square pan. Add 9 eggs + 9 egg whites, season and bake. When cool cut into 9 squares and place each square in a zip-lock bag and freeze.

The night before, take a zip-lock out of the freezer and put in fridge to thaw.

Morning - Toast English muffin while heating an egg square in microwave. Add a slice of cheese and go.

Greek yogurt and berry parfait. The night before, place wet ingredients (Greek yogurt and berries) in a covered mug. Store in fridge. Place dry ingredients (Granola or high fiber cereal + chopped nuts) in a zip-lock snack bag. In the a.m. sprinkle the dry ingredients on top of the yogurt and stir.
  • MsCzar
    MsCzar Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I oven-bake an entire package of bacon and bag it in the fridge for use all week. I also own one of those microwave egg poacher thingies that cooks an egg solid in less than 90 seconds. So one of my fave fast/to-go breakfasts is a home-made McMuffin - egg, cheese and bacon on a toasted whole grain English muffin: ~340 calories/20g protein.

If you don't mind a non-egg cold wrap, you can prep and bag the chopped veg the night before and quick assemble in the morning. This morning I had sliced deli turkey with shredded carrots, cheese, lettuce, onion, pepperoncini, pickles, jalapeno mustard in a low carb wrap. ~340 calories/30g protein.
  • schmanciepants
    schmanciepants Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I like Quest bars....they are my go to grab and go
  • foreverhealthy3
    foreverhealthy3 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    if you check pinterest there are a lot of overnight oatmeals, I prefer steel ground oatmeal for the best nutrition. Just reheat in microwave to eat in morning and top with nuts, some fruit is optional
  • AshHeartsJesus
    AshHeartsJesus Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to cook aldi has a good protien yogurt
    Hard boiled eggs you can buy them already made
    Deli meat roll up with veggie sticks and grapes
    Cottage cheese with berries
    Banana with a small portion of pb
    Meal Prep
    Protien pancakes
    Anabolic french toast
    Eggbake
    100 calorie blueberry muffins
    Overnight oats
    Oatmeal bake
    Scrambled eggs wraped in a tortilla

Don't forget leftovers for breakfast 🙆

Lord Jesus bless 💟
  • melaniedscott
    melaniedscott Posts: 1,314 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    A lot of good ideas here...

Prep (weekend/night before) Muffin cup egg bake with veg and/or other protien and cheese. Like a mini quiche or souffle. Use tortilla or phyllo or puff pastry if you want a "shell".

Freeze a bunch of mixed fruit/spinach in single serving bags. Drop in in the blender/food processor with juice/milk/yogurt (or a mix) and maybe some flax seed meal or something. Puree for a couple minutes...smoothie. You can also buy frozen smoothie fruit/veg mixes but I think they're overpriced and frequently include bananas, which I hate. Not so much high protien...unless you go for a greek yogurt.

Toaster waffle? Prep pancakes ahead, microwave for a minute...There are high protien options...like Kodiak?

Peanut/almond/cashew butter or nutella on toast? Maybe go for eziekiel bread or one of those crunchy granola nuts and seeds breads.
  • SouthWestLondon
    SouthWestLondon Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    If you don't mind having a liquid breakfast, I have protein smoothies a lot. They take five minutes to make (and you can pre-measure most of the ingredients the night before if you prefer) and have been pretty good at keeping me full.

My go to is 100g frozen strawberries, 1 banana, 250 unsweetened almond milk, 30g whey isolate protein powder.

You can add spinach, chia seeds, yoghurt etc - the basic smoothie though is less than 250 calories, fairly low in sugar, extremely low in fat and high in protein.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    Lots of great ideas on this thread but I really love this egg mcmuffin one!
    TeaBea wrote: »
    Egg McMuffins - grease a 9x9 square pan. Add 9 eggs + 9 egg whites, season and bake. When cool cut into 9 squares and place each square in a zip-lock bag and freeze.

The night before, take a zip-lock out of the freezer and put in fridge to thaw.

Morning - Toast English muffin while heating an egg square in microwave. Add a slice of cheese and go.

Greek yogurt and berry parfait. The night before, place wet ingredients (Greek yogurt and berries) in a covered mug. Store in fridge. Place dry ingredients (Granola or high fiber cereal + chopped nuts) in a zip-lock snack bag. In the a.m. sprinkle the dry ingredients on top of the yogurt and stir.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    If you don't mind having a liquid breakfast, I have protein smoothies a lot. They take five minutes to make (and you can pre-measure most of the ingredients the night before if you prefer) and have been pretty good at keeping me full.

My go to is 100g frozen strawberries, 1 banana, 250 unsweetened almond milk, 30g whey isolate protein powder.

You can add spinach, chia seeds, yoghurt etc - the basic smoothie though is less than 250 calories, fairly low in sugar, extremely low in fat and high in protein.

Yes, I did smoothies for breakfast for years. With sufficient protein and fiber, they keep me full for quite some time. Chia seeds are one thing I add for fiber. I presoaked the next day's chia seeds 24 hours in advance when I made that day's smoothie.
  • I_Want_A_Donut
    I_Want_A_Donut Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I love egg bakes in the morning. Usually make a pan on Sunday and lasts all week. Eggs, cheese, some sort of meat and veggies (you can really put whatever you want in it).
  • GlowskiMcGlitter
    GlowskiMcGlitter Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Quick like less than 5 minutes? Honey wheat toast with sunflower seed butter, and 1/2 sliced banana either on the side or on the toast.

If you've got 10-15 minutes, fry an egg in olive oil, and make a quick breakfast sandwich with a toasted whole wheat english muffin.
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    My go to is a good culture cottage cheese cup with a sheet of graham crackers used for my 'spoon'. 20 grams of protein, some fiber, some sugar/carbs, and < 200 calories. Ideal? No, but I'm not a huge breakfast eater.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    My fastest breakfast would be something like some cottage cheese, a clementine, and pre-cut carrots and celery, but it depends on how low you mean. That's obviously harder to eat on the road, so maybe drinkable greek yogurt and a banana or perhaps a protein bar.
  • goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    How would you make Greek yogurt drinkable? You would have to chug a pint of the stuff to get the same amount of protein - it's pretty much just yogurt with less water in it, that's all.
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    Options
    I love egg bakes in the morning. Usually make a pan on Sunday and lasts all week. Eggs, cheese, some sort of meat and veggies (you can really put whatever you want in it).

yes to that - even if you don't care for an egg bake, it would make your life SO much easier if you prepped your breakfast recipes/ideas when you DO have the time.

Lots of ideas of prepping for the week online to 'research'.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited February 2021
    Options
    How would you make Greek yogurt drinkable? You would have to chug a pint of the stuff to get the same amount of protein - it's pretty much just yogurt with less water in it, that's all.

Yeah, I didn't mean Greek yogurt, I guess, but something like the Siggis drinkable yogurt, which has less protein per cup, obv.

You could have a simple smoothie ready to go with greek yogurt, berries, and spinach or some such, however. Add water and blend and that's drinkable, if you have a good to go container to drink out of.

Fast breakfast I can do, but I'm not so good with ideas (other than the smoothie or a protein bar) if one wants protein and has to eat it on the go.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    You could make egg bites the day before. Greek yogurt is another option. You could also do overnight oats with a scoop of protein powder.