Walking to lose weight

Options
Hello everyone,

I was wondering if you had any tips on how much I should walk per day (km) in order to lose weight.

I weight 125kg now but would like to get into shape and get to 85kg within the next two years.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated. :)

Thanks for your time, in advance.

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    To lose weight, you need to walk enough while controlling your calories in to stay at a calorie deficit. Set MFP to a goal of losing 1 lb per week.

For health and fitness, I believe the recommendation is at least 150 minutes of activity per week.

I'm no expert mind you, but I'd recommend to just start walking as much as is comfortable for a few days, and then start to slowly increase how long you walk sometimes. You can also try walking intervals, where you you push your speed up for a minute or two every once and awhile, then return to a more moderate pace.

When I get out of shape and want to get back in gear, I start with two 10 minute walks per day, and go from there.

Good luck!
  • LisaGetsMoving
    LisaGetsMoving Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    This is what's working for me to lose about 1.5 lb per week, which I think is 3kg per month: I'm eating about 1400 kcals per day and drinking 60-70 ounces of water. I started walking 15 minutes per day 6 weeks ago and added 5 minutes per week. I am now walking 45 -60 minutes per day, 6 days per week. I weigh a little less than you and am short and 63 yrs old. Someone younger, taller, more active would need to eat more than I do.
  • Indialove901
    Indialove901 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I agree that you should start off walking. As far as eating habits, I started my journey doing intermittent fasting. I didn’t cut out any foods initially and lost 20 pounds. I hope you find what works for you.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Tip - MyFitnessPal's calorie estimates for walking are badly inflated (it's a gross calorie estimate which is double counting the calories you would have burned in that time frame anyway).

I prefer to use the net calorie option from this calculator to overwrite the suggested cals - https://exrx.net/Calculators/WalkRunMETs

Walking is a great habit for health (and even for the environment if you can leave your car in the garage) but if you are intending your walking to create a calorie deficit then be prepared to invest the time. Building it into your daily routine as opposed to specifically for exercise can be very time efficient and establish a good habit.

Walking away from the kitchen is very effective for weight loss. :smiley: