Weight Loss

Options
Hi, I have been overweight for the majority of my life. Coming from an Indian vegetarian family, my diet has comprised of foods rich in carbs, such as rice. Now, at 18, I am 5ft 9 and 210 pounds. In the past, I have tried diets involving a low caloric intake but they have never worked. Do you have tips for meals/diet plans for an 18-year-old, vegetarian to lose weight? Your advice is invaluable. Thank you so much

Replies

• gfinley49
    gfinley49 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have found the a good protein shake for breakfast for the first couple weeks followed by a healthy lunch and dinner is great way to kick start. The first couple weeks are the toughest. I was seeing a personal trainer last year, the best advice she gave me that worked was to increase protein, low carbs. Whenever you are hungry eat something packed with protein i.e. hardboiled egg, greek yogurt, snack on carrots sticks or cucumbers, Darryl's protein bars are great.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    pa9315 wrote: »
    Hi, I have been overweight for the majority of my life. Coming from an Indian vegetarian family, my diet has comprised of foods rich in carbs, such as rice. Now, at 18, I am 5ft 9 and 210 pounds. In the past, I have tried diets involving a low caloric intake but they have never worked. Do you have tips for meals/diet plans for an 18-year-old, vegetarian to lose weight? Your advice is invaluable. Thank you so much

Low caloric intake - as in extreme low - what does that mean in numbers?

Never worked - as in you lost no weight on them, or you didn't keep it off, or couldn't keep eating that way?

Eating less than you do now is required, moving more probably a good idea too.
    Extremes with either thing are seldom long lasting and usually part of the 80% failure rate to reach and keep goal weight.

Welcome to the app that will help you do both things!
  • annieu613
    annieu613 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I love Indian food, but it's super heavy on oil, butter, sugar, and carbs. You can adapt recipes by using less of these ingredients, and maybe exchanging white rice for brown rice. Also, it's important to log all of the food you eat, even if it's just a snack or a bite of food. According to the info you gave, if you're sedentary you should try to eat 1650 calories today to have a 1lb/week loss. If you're not very active now, you can try adding in some exercise, too. Good luck!

• AndreaTamira
    AndreaTamira Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    You can do this. Really, all you need to do is eating less calories than you burn.

Can you cook? Do you still live at home and eat what your parents cook or do you cook your own food? - If not you may have to start, because to count calories reliably it is important to know what is in the food you are eating and in what quantities.