Options

Replies

• TheresaM787
    TheresaM787 Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday everyone!
    Current Weight- 131.5
    Goal Weight- 120

I came so close to finishing 64oz of water. As I finished my seventh cup, I thought I was going to float away!

Almost hit 10,000 steps for the first time in 2021, I was just over 9,000 steps and then noticed my step counter wasn’t tracking my steps. Reset it and now it’s working again, although all previous data is lost.

Finally, stayed within my calorie goal- just barely.

Still need to eat more fruits and vegetables.

Overall, feeling happy! Plus the Lightning won again last night ⚡️🎉
  • highmaintnance
    highmaintnance Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    @TheresaM787 Great job on your progress towards your goals! You definitely have a great attitude and I enjoy reading your posts. I used to be great at getting 64 oz of water a day and then I went back to working from home three days a week and slacked. I'm trying to get back to that floating place, lol.

So far in 2021, I have not eaten anything from a restaurant with a drive thru. Come to think of it, the only thing I have eaten, other than home prepared food, is subway. Not too shabby! My daughter is not thrilled about it though. I have found that Kroger brand seasoned curly fries are really good. I make them in my air fryer so they are perfect with no oil. That pretty much satisfies my fast food cravings. I also subscribed to Every Plate and I have enjoyed that as well. I have also gone the whole month without desserts/sweets. That is a huge accomplishment for me. I'm getting back into working out, but covid left me with a low cardio tolerance, lol. I do my best.

Happy Friday everyone!
  • SpringB82
    SpringB82 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hey feel free to add me for support and motivation. Always happy to help if needed!!!!
  • PatriceFitnessPal
    PatriceFitnessPal Posts: 1,331 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    @springy82 - Welcome and thanks for your offer of support and motivation! I’ll take all I can get. 😀.

@TheresaM787 - Nice job on the water! I really should increase the amount of water I drink ... and reduce my coffee consumption. I have two cups of coffee per day (and occasionally three) so I’m going to try to replace one with water in the future. I’m just not there yet. Thanks for the inspiration on that goal though ... @highmaintnance, that goes for you, too. I remember how good you were at drinking enough water and I’m sure you’ll rebuild the habit. Congratulations on eliminating desserts and fast food! Your daughter will appreciate you as a role model when she gets a little older. In fact, she probably already does but she won’t admit it until she’s older! 🤣😂🤣 Hang in there with the cardio. This morning, I got winded running a letter to the mailbox (about a block and a half from my house) so I feel the same way. Got. To. Rebuild. Endurance. ... especially if I get back to soccer!

@TheresaM787 - The Tampa teams are all on fire 🔥 this year! I’m glad you’re able to enjoy the positive energy, especially during the pandemic when there’s not much uplifting news. I appreciate you sharing your good vibes here with us!! 🙏🏼 I’m originally from Boston so we are used to having lots of winning teams - AND Tom Brady - so I’m feeling nostalgic ... but happy he’s winning and defying age! My father was a hockey player and coach - and my younger brother coaches a minor league team (w/ a canceled season due to COVID 😢) - so it’s my favorite sport to watch as a fan. Just about my whole family has been involved in one way or another but my sons didn’t play because I could never drive as many miles as hockey moms do ... and then wait in those cold practice rinks! I’d spend too much time at the hot chocolate stand! 🥶 So far, so good on the goals but I’m procrastinating on my clean up so back to work for me ... Enjoy the weekend!!
  • Andrew45678
    Andrew45678 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone after some time and all the best into 2021!

@PatriceFitnessPal Took a bit more time to get over the Achilles tendons being sore :) Several weeks, not very painful but I felt it and wanted to give it proper time.

Had to change the training style and ended up with Fitify app. Anyone tried it? Its fully adjustable as you wish (pick your desired program, how many times a week, how long trainings etc), I went for 4 per week with medium length of training + stretching. So far I like it a lot, surely by far not so hard as Shaun T25 but its way more complex and I guess that is what I need. Also, I didnt think I was going to like the stretching so much - it made me realize how pathetic I am at this. Almost every tendon is shortened, all those years of doing very little stretching showing up lol But improving really really fast and one feels significantly better in every day situations as you do not only stretch but also strengthen all those tiny muscles all around the body.

I opted for some basic Weight Loss 5W program to start with, being a bit careful so I dont push too hard, focusing on right techniques and stretching. Some of the sequences are getting quite hard at times in 3rd week, though, so one gets pushed a bit as well :)

2021 goals:
    - lose weight, goal nr1. Currently at 117 kg, losing 10 kg would be fine
    - get training 3-4X a week, even if there is a time for a short one only at times but do not skip
    - mix cardio, strength, stretching - I have been focused too much on cardio
    - Im not eating bad at all but there are some places for improvement like eating too late
    - keep going with stretching, my new-found target. Do some poses properly like reverse table top
    - sleep more (but kids...)
    - add gym strength training later in the year

Enjoy the rest of the weekend ;)
  • kmccrom
    kmccrom Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    @PatriceFitnessPal please don’t stop rambling! Your posts are so helpful to me, and you always are so supportive.

Welcome to everyone new... let’s support each other.

My goals for this week: keep logging. Be intentional about snacks (good ideas, @PatriceFitnessPal! Limit sugar, especially soda (I’ve been having a love affair with coke de Mexico during this pandemic). Feel feelings rather than eat them.

How is everyone else doing?
  • TheresaM787
    Options
    Amazing. Was still full from dinner, yet I wanted to eat something sweet for dessert. I was full, so I knew it was just one of the habits I’m trying to break. Had a cup of white chocolate peppermint tea instead. Did it satisfy my sweet tooth? Not really, but it did keep me from raiding the chocolates and cookies in the pantry. Especially since I’m still full from dinner. 🤦🏻‍♀️
  • PatriceFitnessPal
    edited January 2021
    Options
    @Andrew45678 - It’s great to see you back here, and your goals really struck me in a positive way because they are challenging but reasonable and specific, which makes them more sustainable. It’s good to see how much your learned through your injury. I guess my ‘take away’ is that building incremental strength, endurance and flexibility will beat out quick progress that ends up hurting us. Congratulations for sticking with MFP while you recovered! I’ll look forward to seeing your updates!

@kmccrom - I appreciate your encouragement! I’m doing fairly well through a busy work week. I’m eating within my goal, just barely, without much wiggle room because I’m not fitting in much cardio. I’m including some updates on my goals below. How are you doing with your intentional snacking?

@TheresaM787 - Your post made me laugh out loud 🤣 and I definitely identify with the search for just enough sweetness to satisfy a craving without ravishing through the pantry ... especially when I’m still full from dinner. Sometimes just one small chocolate will be enough but I wish I could figure out what’s at the core of the craving. Is it some emotion leftover from childhood family dinners when dessert topped off every meal? I’m going to take a lesson from @kmccrom’s playbook and try to get to the bottom of that feeling. BTW, on the topic of a ‘playbook,’ congratulations to the Tampa Bay team going to (or, rather, staying home!) for the SuperBowl. I’ll be cheering for your team over the Kansas City youngster. Mahomes seems nice, and he’s very talented, but I’m on team ‘aging athlete’ for the win. How fun that they get to play in Tampa for a ‘hometown’ crowd of fans. It’s nice that they are honoring health care workers and other essential staff (in addition to the typical VIPs 🤑).

How’s everyone doing? Let us know if you’ve been able to meet your goals, need support, or learned something that will help the group! 🙏🏼
  • PatriceFitnessPal
    edited January 2021
    Options
    TL/DR version: The week is going well with one day to go before weigh in. On track with goals.

Here’s an update on my weekly goals:

(1) Eat within my daily calorie goal all seven days. - This is going better than expected. I was over the target 1 out of 6 days, so far, and the average is under my goal. So, I’ll take that as a win. Just one more day to go before I can add a check. The macronutrient balance was almost perfect, except 1% over in fat and 1% under for protein. That’s rare, but I don’t care about my carb and protein balance as much as trying to keep the fat to 20% or less ... still working on that one. Concentrating on increasing protein seems to help prevent sweet cravings but it could be just a personal ‘head game’ I play with myself. ☺️ I was also over the recommended vitamins A and C, and a little high in poly- and monounsaturated fats (by -1 and -4) which I really don’t fully grasp in terms of ways to change. 🤷‍♀️ Maybe I need less processed food?

(2) Send 2 cards & 5 texts or email messages to stay in touch with friends & family - ✅

(3) Clean out 2 boxes of items to toss/donate ✅

(4) Complete at least 1 task for business or career development (from ‘personal growth’ list) - This is in the works and started but needs work today.

(5) Meet with personal trainer 2x and physical therapy (PT) 2x and PT home exercises at least 2x with BONUS points for playing soccer or walking with friend on Sunday. -PT Tuesday and today ✅; Worked out with the trainer on Thursday and Saturday ✅

Added bonus: Look at the gym schedule to see if I can safely work in some cardio workouts. -I didn’t add any cardio but I joined yoga one day and really enjoyed it. The extra benefit was it helped stretch my sour shoulder. I’ll add yoga to next weeks goal to see if I can work in more opportunities for this kind of stretching, balance and building core strength. I’m sooo in need of work in the area of flexibility!

I didn’t play soccer on Sunday but I managed to sift through extra piles and fill boxes of stuff to donate so I slept well that night. 😴 ... I was a little sore from all the movement and lifting .... but also satisfied with the progress!

One real bonus (and drawback) was that just about every piece of clothing fit. I think only one very small-sized pair of pants buttoned a bit tightly ... but they zipped! 😜 Now, I’ll have to decide what to keep based on what sparks joy (overused trend = 🤮) and I really don’t know what my identity is ... So, I’ll need deeper contemplation as I continue to purge my stuff. At 54, it’s time to get rid of any shorter dresses; and, some of the more feminine items look fine when I wear them, but they feel a little out-of-place when I see them on the hanger, for some reason.

Anyway, maybe I need to organize a Zoom meeting with some friends and we can advise each other while taking turns on the ‘fashion runway’. Has anyone had success with this kind of exercise in downsizing? I’m open to all ideas! Thanks, Accountability buddies!!
  • TheresaM787
    Options
    @Patrice, That is probably it. My mom always had something sweet for us after dinner. Unfortunately, I’m repeating those habits with my kids. I just started having them alternate healthy dessert with unhealthy/home baked dessert. I need to do a better job at finding healthy desserts that look scrumptious to kids.
    Thank you! Yes, it’s incredible. Tampa is on a streak!
    You are hitting goal after goal! Plus you added yoga, it’s amazing moving so slowly can cause your muscles to burn. Have you looked at Yoga by Adrienne on YouTube? She has. As wide range of lessons.
    Your closet- the clothes. They fit!! That’s fantastic! Yes. it’s time to purge. That’s a good thing though. You can actually SEE the progress! Congratulations 🎉
  • PatriceFitnessPal
    edited January 2021
    Options
    @Theresa787 - When my son was young, he asked me why we didn’t have dessert after dinner every night (in reaction to a TV show or following a holiday dinner that included a special dessert maybe?). My response was that our family tended to eat a snack in the afternoon and, depending on the type of snack, it might take the place of dessert so we can keep a balanced diet. My brother-in-law grew up in Lebanon and he has a great habit of serving fruit, cheese and/or nuts as dessert. I really like the way he just presents it as the norm and not a substitute for something ‘better’ that we typically think of as dessert. When my sons were home from college for winter break, we layered fruit with yogurt in a glass and topped it off with some chopped nuts and it felt ‘fancier’ and ‘special’ with very little effort. We also made more apple crisp or berry crumble, which I wish I had thought about doing before they were 19 and 20!

Thanks for the yoga recommendation! I’ll definitely try Adrienne on YouTube. I went to a class at the gym that only had about four of us, spread out in a big gym area. There is also a ‘co-op’ kind of effort underway in our neighborhood to support yoga instructors who are not able to work right now. They send a Zoom link and then you donate whatever amount you can to their Venmo account. We are trying to support the local YMCA personal trainer and our neighbors for now but I’ll definitely use the YouTube videos with my rowing friend this winter and whenever I can build in an extra home workout. Our rowing group has set times for online group exercise - and everyone alternates leading the ‘class’ - but I haven’t been participating much because many of them are retired or stay-at-home parents and the times often conflict with my work schedule.

I also appreciate your encouragement about meeting most of my goals. Some weeks are better than others, for sure, but writing things out here (for accountability) really helps me process what’s going well and what needs more work. For example, my comment about not knowing enough about different types of fat piqued my curiosity, and it led me to an interesting article:

https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/articles/11208-fat-what-you-need-to-know

Usually, I have good (low) LDL and (high) HDL cholesterol when I get bloodwork for my annual physical; so, the article helped me learn about the different types of fat and their health implications. The tips for reducing certain types of fat were helpful and may have finally convinced me to try replacing my half-and-half with 2% milk in the coming week. And, it definitely convinced me not to use the powdered or liquid creamers anymore! Thanks for all your help and motivation, Accountability buddies!
  • expatista
    expatista Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi, I need to lose about 30lbs. I am going to be very active on my fitness pal and tracking fitness activity and food intake. I would love to join a group and/or find an accountability buddy. I am following a plan similar to noom called second nature in the U.K.. However, my group in Second Nature is not very active in terms of communication. I am a 51 year old male. I know what to eat and what not to eat, I just need a really active group or buddy to stay on track as no one in my family is following a program.
  • PatriceFitnessPal
    edited January 2021
    Options
    @expatista - WELCOME! It’s good to have you here. Usually, we post our goals and then check in at least weekly to report our progress.

Overall, MFP is quite active and there are many options for engaging others with similar goals (e.g., diet preferences, age-specific groups, etc.) This particular thread is very supportive. We are all working toward individual goals while sharing what we’re learning along the way. Feel free to ‘bookmark’ the page by selecting the ⭐️ symbol above ... because many of the threads have the same title. You can also reach out and send an individual friend request if someone seems to share the same goals or interests.

I weigh in on Wednesdays and try to report my weekly goal results by the end of the week but sometimes that varies. We are not strict — and my personal approach is that this is a guilt-free zone (since guilt it doesn’t seem to be helpful or healthy) — but I still feel accountable to the group. Best wishes for success and we’ll look forward to seeing your goals and celebrating your accomplishments!
  • Cyncia85
    Cyncia85 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I need an accountability buddy.
    Add me on here and FitBit.
  • kiay131982
    kiay131982 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Evening all!!

Going fairly well so far... Getting used to tracking food again, but I am coming in within target so thats good news!

I am struggling a little bit with my workout routine at the moment. The gym classes are fixed and on zoom now, so that's ok... But lockdown 3 here in the UK means we are homeschooling three children on top of me working from home, I also do daily dog training with my dogs on top of walks... So then finding time to fit in workouts that aren't hard scheduled is proving tough! I have plans, and try to make a schedule, but inevitably a day will be stressful... Or I will feel guilty leaving my husband with the chaos so I can go run... So Im just not doing as much as I was!! My husband has had to take a second part time job, as his job has pretty much been furloughed for almost a year and he took a huge contract cut... But his second job, although he is loving it... Is on a farm and they call him in two days a week, but those days depend on the weather... So I need to be really flexible to fit around him!

Im going to try and get a run in tomorrow.... We shall see!
  • PatriceFitnessPal
    edited January 2021
    Options
    @Cyncia85 - Welcome! Do you have some specific goals in mind that you want to achieve? If so, let us know and we’ll check in with you to see how your doing. Congratulations on taking such critical initial steps in joining MFP and reaching out to others to help you stay accountable to the goals you set. This is a very encouraging group so jump right in so we can get to know you better! 👋 😀

@kiay131982 - Yikes! You and your husband certainly have a full plate, and a number of competing pressures. I feel as though there are two equally valid paths you could take in addressing your disappointment in the reduced opportunity to fit in workouts: (1) grace and self-compassion that just recognizes this as a unique (we hope!!) and difficult time; or, (2) share your goal with your children and ask them to help solve the problem by taking workout breaks with you between classes, etc.

In my experience, students really benefit from regular breaks that include opportunities for movement. You didn’t solicit advice so my apologies if I’m over-stepping but some of my fondest childhood memories are playful times with my parents. My father would do push-ups with us on his back or run while we rode our bikes, etc.. Even dancing that incorporates some of your usual workout moves might work. I guess it depends on their ages whether you play ‘Simon Says’ or challenge one another using a jump rope; but, now that my sons are older, I’m reflecting a bit on ways I could have helped them find ‘balance’ in their lives. They are needing to work on the problem-solving aspect of finding enough time to sleep, work, study and also manage laundry and other day-to-day tasks of bookkeeping and chores. In retrospect, they could have benefited from some practice in the ‘trial and error’ of self-regulation.

Anyway, we all need to try to build in (at least moments) of brief reflection, sleep, physical activity, etc. I find the Healthy Mind Platter helpful in talking to people of any age about practicing balance. Here’s a link to the Healthy Mind Platter (David Rock & Dan Siegel):

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/your-brain-work/201106/announcing-the-healthy-mind-platter?amp And, here are some simple tips that are focused on surviving the holidays but could transfer to other busy and stressful times with family: http://portagemedicalfht.ca/2019/12/19/healthy-mind-platter/

But, I’ll remind myself again that you didn’t ask! No pressure to add anything more to your plate! 🙄 🤐 🙄
  • thehumanpickle
    thehumanpickle Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    ACCOUNTABILIBUDDIES, ASSEMBLE
  • PatriceFitnessPal
    Options
    @thehumanpickle - Captain America has arrived! ... I feel better already!
  • bitaniaisaac2900
    bitaniaisaac2900 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hellooo I need friends for this. I'm planning to lose 40 pounds this year. MFP's community page is awesome because I'm meeting people to do fun challenges with :)
  • TheresaM787
    Options
    Hellooo I need friends for this. I'm planning to lose 40 pounds this year. MFP's community page is awesome because I'm meeting people to do fun challenges with :)

Welcome! I feel the same way about MFP. Glad you’re here. Sent friend request.