Fast and healthy lunches/dinners

Options
My life is basically a Six Flags roller coaster on crack, it goes 100mph and then stops abruptly and the day is already over. Within that 100mph time, I have 30 minutes of lunch, if I even get one, and maybe 4 hours at home after work to do chores and eat dinner and socialize and well...you get the idea. My time is limited!!

I'm honestly looking for the advice of people who meal prep and have killer ideas to make lunches and dinners ahead of time, for the week ahead. My plan is to make the meals on Sunday, put them in bento boxes or meal prep containers and then grab them and microwave them for my meals. I figured this will give me more time as well as food that is healthier choices than I have been making and less likely to have food delivered and will help me progress in my goals.

I've failed at this whole thing multiple times and this time I really don't want to, so i'm all ears for your suggestions and thank you in advance for entertaining this and providing help.

Replies

• foreverhealthy3
    foreverhealthy3 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I made this recipe today and was surprised that it was quite tasty. I only used half the spaghetti squash, as there isn't much sauce, but, it should make two regular size meals. https://reciperunner.com/chicken-spinach-spaghetti-squash-alfredo/ could add sauteed mushrooms also,
  • Releven
    Releven Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I've never made spaghetti squash, It's on the list, thank you!!!!
  • melaniedscott
    melaniedscott Posts: 1,310 Member
    Options
    I think it really depends on what you like and how much weekend prep you're willing to do. I tend to cook larger meals (4-6...+portions, but there are just 2 of us. I never got the hang of cooking small) and create lunch boxes from leftovers. Some people like salad (mason jar salads are a thing now). Some people love sandwiches or soup. I can make a pot of soup on the weekend and eat a bowl for lunch every day. My husband won't touch it.

I like to cook lentils and rice together and the add stuff in (raw peppers, celery, shredded carrot, corn...cooked beans and add a vinegrette. Easy to make, easy to eat. Keeps in the fridge for several days.
  • littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    It really depends what kind of thing you like to eat.

The things I find work well for dinners are sort of stew based things. Bolognese, Chilli, Sausage casserole, beef stew, ratatouille, you get the idea. They are easy and keep well, essentially once you've got them started off cooking you can just wander off and do something else.

For lunches I will often do a big batch of soup in the winter. Other favourite is to roast a load of veg, peppers/courgettes/aubergine/onion/squash whatever you fancy, and make up a batch of quinoa. Salad then gets assembled every night from both of those and some added fresh stuff.

I know some people do have a lot of success doing the whole week at once. My personal preference is to cook extra quantities for dinner, or make something else while I'm cooking anyway. So in practice it's every 2 or 3 days and not quite so repetitive. So it's worth experimenting a bit to see what suits you best.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,625 Member
    Options
    I've been making toasted grain salads for lunch and they keep for a few days in the fridge if you add fragile items such as green leaves at the last minute. The sample recipes are at the bottom of the article.
    https://www.tastecooking.com/best-thing-make-air-fryer-isnt-fried/
    hdwdw2a0vn18.jpeg
  • weatherking2019
    weatherking2019 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    I’ve been meal prepping using skinny taste meal prep book. So many easy and tasty stuff in here.
    https://www.skinnytaste.com/?s=Meal+prepping+
  • Trish1c
    Trish1c Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Especially in winter soups & stews are great to have all week for lunch.

If you don't already own one, invest in a big slow cooker. You throw the ingredients in, turn it on low, go to work & come home to dinner!

I will also marinate chicken breasts all day & then throw them on a grill (indoor or outdoor)
  • annieu613
    annieu613 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I like prepping food for Buddha bowls. I'll do a grain (quinoa, farro, brown rice, etc), prep/cook some veggies, protein (I'm vegetarian so mine are usually tofu, hard boiled eggs, tempeh, etc, but you could definitely do chicken or something). It's easy to put everything together during the week, based on what I specifically want on each day. I usually spend around 1.5-2 hours on Sunday prepping everything.
  • thehumanpickle
    thehumanpickle Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    We eat a lot of stir fry in our house and it packages well for lunches with leftovers.

Inidividual meatloaves in mini/cupcake pans are a big hit, too.

Another favorite is to get some deli meat, cheese, etc and some Joseph's pita bread and make a quick 'sandwich' with a pickle on the side if I'm at work and just need a smart lunch in a hurry.