Resistance bands advice?

Options
I've never used these before, in fact only recently heard of them. I would specifically like to use them for dips and pull-ups... Right now I can only manage about 1 rep.
Looking online I'm totally confused as there are different types and thicknesses for different purposes.

Can anyone advise what I might look for? Length, strength, how many...

Replies

• MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Options
    You may need to buy a few of the non-looped bands with different tensions because, well, everyone is different (as are the tensions provided by each company selling these pieces of plastic at high markups) and you don't yet know your ability for assisted variations of the exercises you mentioned.

Despite that, they are worth it: I have both the looped and non-looped varieties in different tensions/colors.

Have fun experimenting!
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    Here's a really good FAQ:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/ResistanceBand/comments/fnyk7f/how_to_switch_from_weightlifting_at_the_gym_to/

It helped me out last March when I switched from the public gym to just dumbbells and loop bands at home. You just need a set of loop bands and a door anchor (small looped thing that goes in a door to hold the actual band in place for certain exercises.
  • SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Do you have a pull up bar? I use bands for assisted pull ups. I have a set of long ones in differing strengths. You can use more than one if your strongest band does not give enough assistance. Here's a good illustration
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ego8lAVVtpc
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options

@feisty_bucket : that is a great link! I use resistance bands in my standard upper-body workout in combination with body-weight exercises (push-ups, sit-ups) and some weights (primarily for curl). It's amazing how many muscles you can work out with them! It's very helpful to install a hook on a wall that is screwed into a stud.

Note that, as soon as they start to look old, you should replace them. I've broken a lot of them! Also, don't trust doorknobs or under-door fobs too much. They can fail! Think about where the band will snap if a failure occurs. Don't aim it at someone's face!
  • Mr_Boy
    Mr_Boy Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. At the moment I don't have a pull-up bar but I do have a dip station so I want to try that first. I used to be able to do enough reps body-weight, but I am heavier and weaker than back then now :)
  • deminimis
    deminimis Posts: 47 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    I have a red and a black "Rubberbandtz" bands for dips at work (I only use the red one now, if at all, if I find myself doing dips at work). Just loop one or both (or more if needed) around your dip handles, put your knees on them, and off you go. They have heavier bands as well (can't recall the color(s)). I'd rec you use as many as you need to prevent shoulder injuries while building strength. Start getting rid of bands as your strength improves until you are rid of them. Many poo-poo bands, but I think you're better off doing 7-10 good band-assisted dips per set than only 1 or 2 non-assisted. Just plan on doing away with them as soon as you are able. For example: o06c683rxevf.jpg
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    Also consider a suspension trainer. Can be used anywhere and you control the resistance by foot placement.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • luceegj
    luceegj Posts: 246 Member
    edited February 2021
    Options
    I would suggest the tube style bands with handles. This usually comes in a pack with various resistance and you can progress through these.

Lucy
    [edited by MFP mods]