Do you eat sushi? If so, please help!

Options
2»

Replies

• BrewerGeorge
    BrewerGeorge Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Most sushi places I've been aren't going to take well to YOU telling THEM what to do regarding brown rice or rice portions or whatnot.

Six pieces of nigiri (I like swordfish and tuna especially), with miso soup and edamame to start should be well under 500 Cal. Really, just avoid the fried stuff and don't eat a dozen pieces and it's hard to go wrong. Be a bit careful if they serve that salad with creamy dressing...
  • Erica_theRedhead
    Erica_theRedhead Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Also, look around for the low sodium soy sauce. Keeping track of your calories and then drenching rice and sushi in pure salt is not a good idea. If they don't have it out on the table, ask becuase they should have some in the back.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I think sushi has surprisingly high calories for it's size! I always get cucumber and avocado maki, and tam ago, but then I am vegetarian. You definitely won't need to eat beforehand.
  • Jesung
    Jesung Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Sashimi is great as others have mentioned. Everything else will have some rice or deep fried so it won't be as good for you.
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    i wouldn't make yourself crazy as it's only one meal, i would just decide to enjoy it and try to enjoy getting to know him. if it makes you feel better, make time for an extra long workout during the day and day after.

I totally agree with this! Its a first date! Its ok to let one meal go here and there (just not a habit! lol). I would just go out and enjoy yourself, and not even worry about what your eating. Be adventurous and try a few different things. I like California rolls personally, but when I was on Vacation a few months ago I went on a "date" with my husband and got a sampler platter. It was neat to try each thing, and makes for good conversation too. :)

Sushi is actually pretty good too! Coming from someone who doesn't like FISH! Like I seriously do not like cooked fish, I don't like Tuna...but I like Sushi...its very weird....
  • kalilioness
    kalilioness Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I think all of the advice given is super, I would only add beware of the soy sauce. Ask for low sodium because regular will make you bloat. Other than that have a wonderful dinner and I hope the date goes well!!!!!
  • BrewerGeorge
    BrewerGeorge Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    This thread totally inspired me, so I just got back from taking my 10 yr old for sushi. Yum

Thanks for the idea!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,639 Member
    Options
    It's hard enough for me to keep within my daily calorie goal even when I prepare my own food, so I have avoided eating out since I started MFP. I have a date tomorrow night, first date. He doesn't know I'm dieting. He suggested a local sushi restaurant, Old Chicago Pizza, or whatever I'd prefer. I know enough about nutrition that I chose the sushi over pizza, but two questions: 1) How filling is sushi? Would you recommend I pre-eat before the date so I don't get famished later? and 2) I'd appreciate any healthful recommendations, really any recommendations at all. I've only eaten sushi once or twice before. I remember enjoying it well enough, but little else. What's good? What's bad? In general and nutritionally? I checked the Calorie King website just now but it wasn't especially helpful to me.
    Eat sashimi with just a little rice and you can't really go wrong at all. Just make sure to drink a lot of water though cause sodium is going to be your culprit.
  • Erica_theRedhead
    Erica_theRedhead Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Totally inspired! I was reading this at work and just convinced my coworkers to get sushi for dinner YUM!
  • Rawzy
    Rawzy Posts: 4
    Options
    When i go, I usually order a huge Pot of green tea. I make sure to drink my tea before bites of sushi, i get fuller faster, and get the benefits of the green tea!