What's a safe late night snack?

Options
I was craving tonight, a pot noodle! I went into my kitchen half certain I would actually eat one haha but I poured out 35g of Branflakes and 100ml of milk instead with 1/3 banana slices. It's 10.30pm here and I'm up at 4.45am for my weigh in - I really hope this doesn't effect my weigh in.

What's a safe late night snack? Should it be something low carb, low sugar, low sodium etc? What's yours?

Replies

• trelm249
    trelm249 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Just go with a greek yogurt or something like that. I keep some of the Oikos sround for such occasions.
  • oneoddsock
    oneoddsock Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Make sure it's not just a case of being thirsty - I'd start out with a glass of water, and then if still hungry 15/20 mins later, I'd go with a piece of fruit.
  • channa007
    channa007 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    When this happens I drink two glasses of water and wait a half hour or try to fall asleep. Usually the water ends up working for me.
  • kathrynkatana
    kathrynkatana Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt, cucumber and hummus, 100 calories fruit things, pistachio and cherry tomatoes
  • ItsMeLori
    Options
    Yogurt, celery, piece of fruit, jello.....
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    You definitely want something low sodium, especially if it's the day before a weigh in. Sodium will cause you to retain water weight. If I'm in the mood for something crunchy and sweet, air popped popcorn topped with cinnamon is a good one. Tasty, low calorie, and low sodium.
  • tbrown1025
    Options
    Cottage cheese and a spoonful of pb work for me. I might also have a scoop of protein powder (mixed with either water or milk) instead.
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    I always try and drink water first, but if I am still hungry...apple or banana. :D
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I usually have a square of chocolate or an apple as a late night snack. I don't know what you mean by safe, though. Anything's fine as long as it fits into your daily count.
  • Splasheh
    Splasheh Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Make sure it's not just a case of being thirsty - I'd start out with a glass of water, and then if still hungry 15/20 mins later, I'd go with a piece of fruit.

I would but I drink like 4 bottles a day and when I need to constantly get up for the bathroom it drives me insane :p
  • Katiemarie4488
    Katiemarie4488 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    The best Late Night Snack is sleep ;)
  • surfrgrl1
    surfrgrl1 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    Generally I go with a glass of skim milk and slice of toast. with a little spray butter.
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    Most Vegetables are a safe late night snack. Carrots, Celery, Cucumber, Broccoli etc etc etc....

And if you don't want to eat any veggies...then your probably not really hungry...but tired or bored. lol
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    Baby carrots and greek yogurt. But, really, whatever you have calories/macronutrients for.
  • Bluejay789
    Options
    Apple with large glass of water. Fill you right up.

Small gala apple is 60 calories
  • Kate6868
    Kate6868 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    The best Late Night Snack is sleep ;)

That's what I usually do. I've found that I'm usually more tired than hungry late at night.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Bottom line is, it does NOT matter. Eat what you want that gives you the nutrients you need and keeps you in line with your calorie goal...that's all you need to do. Nothing is going to magically destroy you by eating it at a certain time.
  • HonestOmnivore
    HonestOmnivore Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    If I just have that PooBear rumble in my tummy I have a teaspoon of peanut butter. If I'm REALLY hungry and feeling empty I'll eat more bulk, like pumpkin mixed with some cottage cheese =)
  • omgitsgarry
    Options
    I don't really late night snack (unless I'm binge eating, because that does tend to happen sometimes), but my before 8 pm snack is either jello or water ice, maybe some chex mix. I like something I can eat while watching TV.
  • 2Bgoddess
    2Bgoddess Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    cereal. not the loaded power cereals. rice krispies, wheat squares, or even oatmeal.