How healthy is my Veggie Soup?

Options
Syntria
Syntria Posts: 46 Member
Hey Everyone! I'm pretty new here, and I'm looking to make friends. I'm active and will comment on your stuff! I'm really thrilled to be here and I love how great and active this community is.

So, anyways. I love making soups, been making them for over a decade, though their a bit random with the ingredients. Generally though they have a tomato juice base (1/4th tomato juice and the rest water). Here's everything I used to make this round of soup. Not as good as the last one, but I think it's because I didn't include any meat.

76a1754c.jpg

Syntria's Veggie Soup Version #1

3 - Carrots
5 - Celery Stocks
1 - Turnip
1/2 Head of Cabbage
1 Can Green Beans Drained
1 Can Camallian Beans (Sp?) Drained
1 White Onion (I usually use Yellow but they were out at the store)
2 Cans Diced Tomatoes seasoned with Basil and Oregano (With Juice)
1 Clove Garlic Minced
2 Tbsp of Jalapeno Juice
5 Cups Water (At least)
2 Beef Bullion Cubes
2 Cans Veggie Stock
1 Head of Fresh Parsley
Seasoned with Oregano, Celery Salt, Onion Salt, Garlic Powder, Lots of Basil, Salt/Pepper

Other Possible Ingredients
Chopped Beef (Roast or Round Steak) cooked in olive oil/sherry wine prior to being added to the soup, with drippings or cooked as a roast with salt/pepper/onions and then added
Potatoes
Corn
Zucchini
Kidney Beans
Green Peppers
Or pretty much any other Veggies

I cook the soup in a large roaster oval roaster, on medium heat till it's really going good and turn it down to a similar and put a lid on it so the broth doesn't evaporate. I cook it for at least 4-5 Hours and generally another 3-4 Hours the following day, as I find that all the little bits get a more consistent flavor after sitting int he refrigerator over night.

Replies

• ItsMeLori
    Options
    Looks yummy to me. If anything maybe sodium. Looks pretty healthy. You can put in as a recipe and you will know exactly how healthy it is.
  • Syntria
    Options
    Looks yummy to me. If anything maybe sodium. Looks pretty healthy. You can put in as a recipe and you will know exactly how healthy it is.

Put it in as a recipe? You mean on the site? =O

Also, love the picture in your signature. Your looking great!
  • mestupscout
    mestupscout Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Sounds great! bump
  • mynika
    mynika Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Sounds really good, it is almost soup season so I will keep this in mind. thanks for posting
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options

I agree about the sodium - that's the only thing I'd be concerned about, and only if you're using canned vegetables. Canned veggies are LOADED with sodium. Try frozen or fresh veggies and if you want tomato, buy fresh and stew them yourself instead of using the canned tomato juice...gets more expensive that way, though.
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options

Put it in as a recipe? You mean on the site? =O

Also, love the picture in your signature. Your looking great!

Yes, click the food tab and then recipes, you can enter all of the ingredients and the number of servings and it will calculate the nutritional info per serving.
  • JamesonsMommy
    JamesonsMommy Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Canned veggies usually have tons of sodium.. I may suggest using a low sodium vegetable juice and simmering the veggies for a while so they make their owl veggie stock. Vegetable soup is my absolute favorite fall soup and just made a pot the other day :) Turned out great. I gave up meat about a month ago and this was the first time making it without beef broth ;( Was shocked at how much better the veggies tasted!! I let my soup pretty much cook all day on a very low heat.. Smells soo good.. lol
  • reagansmom05
    Options
    i make a lot of soups too and even when a recipe calls for it, i never use stocks, just water. i make some pretty good soups too.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    What's in the stocks you're using - and do you really need that much stock? If it's a pre manufactured stock, chances are it's loaded with salt.

It looks really tasty though - maybe just needs a bit of adaptation.
  • Iamfit4life
    Iamfit4life Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options
    I'd also worry about the sodium.

DOn't use stock, make your own .
  • Syntria
    Options
    This is actually my first time using stocks after a long time of not using any and since I wasn't going to have any meat drippings I grabbed some beef stock (which is sort of a paste, not really the cubes but I'm not sure how to describe it) and two cans veggie stock.

Honestly, I shouldn't have. Usually the tomato juice, water, meat juice is enough. I really did over do it.

This is pretty salty compared to my usual soups---good--but rather salty. I did thin it out with more water and I probably won't use any veggie stock anymore. Just a little of the beef stock when I'm not including any meat.
  • cba4994
    cba4994 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing!!!!
  • Iamfit4life
    Iamfit4life Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options
    This is actually my first time using stocks after a long time of not using any and since I wasn't going to have any meat drippings I grabbed some beef stock (which is sort of a paste, not really the cubes but I'm not sure how to describe it) and two cans veggie stock.

Honestly, I shouldn't have. Usually the tomato juice, water, meat juice is enough. I really did over do it.

This is pretty salty compared to my usual soups---good--but rather salty. I did thin it out with more water and I probably won't use any veggie stock anymore. Just a little of the beef stock when I'm not including any meat.

Out of all my favorite things to cook, soup is my number one. I love the process. I love how long it takes. I love how a really really well made soup is like a tasty piece of art.
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Looks good, but I would leave out the Beef Bullion Cubes and use frozen veggies instead of canned. Use low sodium veggie broth and probably not use the jalapeno juice (I didn't know it existed lol).
  • Syntria
    Options
    Its from a jar of Jalapenos XD I could always just use red pepper. I like to have just a hint of spice.
  • MikeInAZ
    MikeInAZ Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Doesn't seem like there's anything bad in there. Just watch the stock, keep it low sodium/fat. I would use fresh green beans if they're available. You could add garbanzo/chick peas for some added protein and or some other beans (pinto/navy/kidney etc).

Top it with some cilantro or fresh basil..

-Mike