Recomp Confusion

Options
4 years ago I decided to loose weight and in the first year I lost 20 pounds. I’ve maintained that loss (and lost 3 more pounds) over the last 3 years. I’m think I’m ready to start lifting some weights but I’ve read so much I’m starting to get confused about where to start but mostly with the macros. Do I need to eat the same amount of calories every day? Or eat more on lift days? And how much exactly do I need? I’ve tried macro calculators but am getting different results and am started to feel overwhelmed.

Current Stats:
Female, 36
5’1 and 117.
I guess my current body fat is about 28-30% and I’m aiming for it to be about 20-22%

Any help or guidance is appreciated.

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Pick a program suitable for your lifting experience - it sounds like you are a beginner. (See the stickied post at the top of this forum.)
    Do it consistently. It's your training that initiates muscle growth, your diet just supports your training and recovery and that diet can be wildly varied between individuals.

Eat at around your weight maintenance calories, including a decent amount of protein. (1g per pound of estimated lean mass is my preference). Carbs and fat to suit your preferences.
    If you prefer a same every day daily calorie allowance or one that varies in line with your exercise it really doesn't matter.

Think of all those people in your gym lifting and getting in better shape. They are recomping and they probably haven't even heard of the term or are logging their food. Recomp really is that simple and ordinary, it's only the diet and fitness industries that try to monetise it by adding complexity.
  • MrsDan1667
    MrsDan1667 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Eat ... a decent amount of protein. (1g per pound of estimated lean mass is my preference).

This is what’s confusing me. I’m not sure how to figure that out.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    edited January 2021
    Options
    MrsDan1667 wrote: »
    Eat ... a decent amount of protein. (1g per pound of estimated lean mass is my preference).

Just aim for .8-1.2g/lb of body weight. So 95-140g. That range will be sufficient.

ETA: don't freak out if you aren't consistently in that range but rather use it is as a general guide. Given you are a beginner, you should respond to any stimulus.

And if you want something more butt focused, look into Bret Contreras programs.
  • MrsDan1667
    MrsDan1667 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Ok thank you!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Ok thank you!

I just edited my post to add more clarity
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    In my day we called this getting in shape. It's not something you need to overthink. Eat at maintenance and hit the weight room with a good program...you will get in shape over time. People do a lot of hand wringing over macros...they are important to the extent that you're getting adequate protein to help build muscle and recover...I don't log, so I only have a vague idea of what my macros are and I've had no problem re-comping in the past. My best guess from when I did log is that I'm somewhere between 120-140 grams depending on the day. When I logged I generally shot for around .6-.8 grams of my goal weight...obviously with re-comp, you're looking to more or less maintain weight while putting on some muscle and cutting some fat. When I was younger, I had zero clue what my macros were...I just ate well and hit the weight room and had no issue getting into and staying in shape.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options

To clarify.....
    Your lean mass is everything except your fat mass which you have already estimated.
    "I guess my current body fat is about 28-30%" - your LBM would be 70-72% of your weight.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    4 years ago I decided to loose weight and in the first year I lost 20 pounds. I’ve maintained that loss (and lost 3 more pounds) over the last 3 years. I’m think I’m ready to start lifting some weights but I’ve read so much I’m starting to get confused about where to start but mostly with the macros. Do I need to eat the same amount of calories every day? Or eat more on lift days? And how much exactly do I need? I’ve tried macro calculators but am getting different results and am started to feel overwhelmed.

Current Stats:
    Female, 36
    5’1 and 117.
    I guess my current body fat is about 28-30% and I’m aiming for it to be about 20-22%

Any help or guidance is appreciated.

I will address the lifting weight part. Get on a structured lifting program like strong lifts or another similar progress with progressive overload built in..