What made you ultimately decide to get fit?

Options
raulmi1
raulmi1 Posts: 2 Member
edited January 2021 in Motivation and Support
I have 2 questions for the members here:

1. Was there any particular event, situation, moment... that made you decide that you really needed a change, and made you change your life? (sort of a breaking point)

2. What is your WHY, when it comes to losing weight / getting in shape?

I guess it happens to everyone, most days I feel a lack of motivation, and I wanted to get your inputs, and see how we can all relate.

Thanks in advance for your answers!

Replies

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    My ex had a heart attack and stroke and every medical condition common to a morbidly obese person. I didn't want to be like him.

that's kind of the long and short of it. I lost weight, maintained for a few years, got lazy and it started creeping back up. Needs to creep back down now ;)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Medical stuff was the reason for losing weight. I decided to get fit because once upon a time I was a competitive athlete and I missed being physically fit and strong.

• AsthmaticHippo
    AsthmaticHippo Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I had a major accident on a motorcycle and had to, over the course of a year, get back to walking properly. I realized how fragile life is and that I needed to improve my health lose weight and move more
  • I_Want_A_Donut
    I_Want_A_Donut Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Barely fit into the roller coaster on a family trip. Decided I didn't want to miss out on things cause I was too big.
  • gigius72
    gigius72 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    First time...I was 18ish years old and obese. Girls wouldn't look at me.
  • gigius72
    gigius72 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    @AnnPT77 I'm glad you left that bad nightmare behind your back for good.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,467 Member
    Options
    I thought I was going to die and soon.
  • GigiDeborah
    GigiDeborah Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    swiftgirlm wrote: »
    In the past year, my husband and I started kayaking together and something I'd love to do is to be able to get back into my sea kayak by myself. In order to do that I need to be lighter and stronger! My motivation now stems from visualizing myself being able to go on kayak trips and being capable of carrying my gear, and performing the skills necessary to paddle safely. My focus is less on my body and more on the exciting adventures that will be possible if I am self disciplined!

Oh I like this so much!
  • raulmi1
    raulmi1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for sharing your story!
  • mel941980
    mel941980 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I collapsed in a parking lot at 38-years-old. I was diagnosed with bilateral pulmonary embolisms and a heart defect. It was the biggest wake up call/kick in the pants for me. I've lost 72lbs since then.
  • Whatsthemotive
    Whatsthemotive Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I’m 62 and about 40 pounds overweight. In my 20s, I was in a head on car accident and my heel was crushed when the engine came in on me. I had three surgeries soon after the initial injury. I have always had pain in standing and walking plus some balance issues due to a fusion that limits range of motion. In June of 2019, I had a surgery to remove bone spurs from my ankle which resulted from arthritis caused by the original injury and fusion. I was still recovering and in physical therapy when my mother’s health declined. She died in November. Then My daughter moved to London in December. And COVID hit and my husband has health issues that have caused us to be in hard quarantine since last March. And my brother died in April. I was still limping around and in pain. All the time. I was depressed and felt like it didn’t matter, because I was never going to be able to do anything ever again anyway.

Somehow around Christmas I decided that I didn’t want to be crippled and unable to do anything forever. I want to be able to travel to England and visit my daughter.

And I decided I have to lose weight and be more fit. If I weigh less, I will have less pain and more mobility.

So I started. And I’ve been doing seated exercises 5-7 times a week ever since. I’ve also been strictly counting calories. I’ve lost 10 pounds so far.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,178 Member
    Options
    I’m 62 and about 40 pounds overweight. In my 20s, I was in a head on car accident and my heel was crushed when the engine came in on me. I had three surgeries soon after the initial injury. I have always had pain in standing and walking plus some balance issues due to a fusion that limits range of motion. In June of 2019, I had a surgery to remove bone spurs from my ankle which resulted from arthritis caused by the original injury and fusion. I was still recovering and in physical therapy when my mother’s health declined. She died in November. Then My daughter moved to London in December. And COVID hit and my husband has health issues that have caused us to be in hard quarantine since last March. And my brother died in April. I was still limping around and in pain. All the time. I was depressed and felt like it didn’t matter, because I was never going to be able to do anything ever again anyway.

Somehow around Christmas I decided that I didn’t want to be crippled and unable to do anything forever. I want to be able to travel to England and visit my daughter.

And I decided I have to lose weight and be more fit. If I weigh less, I will have less pain and more mobility.

So I started. And I’ve been doing seated exercises 5-7 times a week ever since. I’ve also been strictly counting calories. I’ve lost 10 pounds so far.

That's really a lot to go through, especially in such a short time. Kudos to you for taking control of the parts you *can* control, to create improvement.

If your experience is like mine (lost at 59-60, with some arthritis and other issue), the weight loss and improved fitness will make a big improvement in quality of life, via increased capability and reduced pain.

Wishing you excellent outcomes for your efforts!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    In highschool I was very skinny. When I graduated I was 5'6" and 126lbs. I was teased a lot because from behind with longer hair, I looked like a girl. So once I was out of highschool, I started going to the base gym (which was inadequate back in the 80's) and then eventually joined a hole in the wall gym. Within a year I grew another inch and gained 30lbs and felt great. I then played more sports because I was big enough to hang.
    I continue today with a current weight of 180lbs at 5'7" and can still sprint, box jump at least 36" and kickbox. I put a lot of guys half my age to shame many times. And I want to keep going as long as I safely can being fit and physically active to keep playing sports and kickboxing.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • ClaireBri74
    ClaireBri74 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    raulmi1 wrote: »
    1. Was there any particular event, situation, moment... that made you decide that you really needed a change, and made you change your life?

I saw myself in too many web meetings with 5 chins and this isn't the me I can remember so that was my ping moment.
    raulmi1 wrote: »
    2. What is your WHY, when it comes to losing weight / getting in shape?

I used to be a fitness addict and I loved it. I want to get back to the same level of fitness / health. That was my why to get started again but I found after a few 'forced' sessions I got the old post exercise buzz back. My why now is I like the buzz and want it again! The fact I am shrinking is a bonus :)
  • Whatsthemotive
    Whatsthemotive Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Ninerbuff
    That’s inspiring. My (surviving) brother has struggled with being underweight for most of his life. At 5’ 11” he has ranged from 135 to 150. He hits his low weights at times of stress. There’s so much emphasis on weight loss that we tend to forget how difficult being underweight is, especially for a man. In college, some cruelly called him hoe handle because he was as skinny as a hoe handle.