My mental health is terrible

Options
I’m broke, can’t even afford more iceberg lettuce until payday on Friday, weigh 205 pounds (my highest ever) can’t afford more than one therapy session a month, and certainly can’t afford a nutritionist. I’m sick of trying and I really hate my body right now. I don’t know how to get more support in a country that views me as nothing more than a dollar sign. I feel awful nonstop.

Replies

• mnbvcxzlkjhgfdsa12
    mnbvcxzlkjhgfdsa12 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I’m sorry to hear you are struggling with your mental health. Know that many people have similar challenges and you are not alone. It’s good that you are looking for help, cost is a challenge in a country where healthcare is first a profit-making industry. Have you spoken to you local psychoanalytic training institute? I have no direct experience but understand that they may be able to put you in touch with someone willing to work with you at a low cost. https://apsa.org/content/low-fee-clinics

When it comes to your nutrition, I don’t know your individual circumstances or challenges but there is a lot you can do to have positive impact without paying to see a dietitian. of course if you are dealing with medical issues be sure to discuss your individual needs with your doctor. Don’t follow fad diets, just aim to focus on eating appropriate portions of “real food” - I.e avoid processed and junk foods. A balanced diet can also support your mental health.

Healthy foods don’t need to be expensive, in fact processed foods are usually more expensive and often less healthy. There is no need to eat lettuce, unless you want to.

If you can try to get out everyday, just a short walk if you don’t feel like doing more. Walking is great exercise and exercise is proven to be good for your mental well-being.

Things will get better. Wishing you strength on your journey.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,259 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you're feeling so poorly. You are not alone. Take each day one by one, hour by hour if you have to. You are more than a dollar sign. Your presence on this planet is a gift to the rest of us. Take care of yourself. We need you here. You're worth the self love that you aren't feeling :heart:
  • AlwaysWanderer
    AlwaysWanderer Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Breathe. Drink water. Go out for a walk to a forest, or a park. Read, stay away from social media and news, reach out to a friend.
    This is what helps me when I feel like you do. It’s hard to get yourself out of the pit of despair, and I’m so sorry you’re feeling like this. It will get better. Focus on the things that are in your control for now.
    Everything will be ok in the end, and if it’s not ok, it’s not the end.
    Sending you lots of hugs 🤗
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,509 Member
    Options
    When you're at your lowest, the only way is up from here. It does require that your outlook be a good one though. Achieve a small goal and watch how you can build confidence.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Marcus_Eating_Donuts
    Options
    Thanks for your candor. The constant message from society that we are merely the sum of our purchasing power and our happiness is tied to that is horribly wrong. You are more than that.

We also separate your bodily health from our mental health, and we shouldn't. I know it seems insurmountable, but please take the first steps to well-being: sleep well, cut out alcohol, choose whole foods, log it all on MFP, and seek assistance from your community and your doctor. You may find there are subsidized counseling programs or clubs that match your needs and goals.

PM me if you would like an online friend who has struggled with poor diet and depression.
  • ebriggs2381
    ebriggs2381 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you. Sometimes I just need to know that someone else is struggling with depression, and that I am not alone. Hang in there. I'm rooting for you.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    We live in a difficult time right now, and I mean COVID, the way it has changed our world for the worse. the isolation and fear wears on us all. So many are more depressed right now, and you are not alone. Things are going to get better. There are food banks and charities in your community that can help you with food and counseling. Please ask them for assistance they are there and want to help.

come here and count your calories.... communicate in the forums and get the support here you need too.

• AlexandraFindsHerself1971
    Options
    What my grandmother said, and I find to be true, I now pass on to you.

When you feel rotten, get out of bed, take a shower, put on real clothes (no pajamas!) including shoes, and have a meal. Either you won't feel as bad, or you'll be able to confront the problem from a better place because you're showered, dressed, and fed.

I live in a household of severely mentally ill people, and we recognize that some days getting up and taking a shower and getting dressed is all the anxiety or depression will let us do that day. Some days we want to do selfcare and can't because our brains are being oppositional about it. We know very well that going to bed on time is the foundation of good health, but that's hard to do in the middle of a manic episode, and we just work around the schedule disruptions and problems it causes. Managing your mental health is hard work. But it can be done.

If you can't afford a therapist, a journal can help, because as you lose weight things will come up, as if the fat melting away uncovers them. It can be very useful to dump your thoughts out onto a page and sort them out, and I try to find one thing to make me smile and laugh every day. Usually that is my half-grown kitten trying something, but videos of a bulldog farting himself awake grumpily will do it every time too. (grin)

(And when I say mental health: 3 people. 2 autistic, 1 ADHD, 2 bipolar, 1 major depressive disorder, 3 anxiety disorders, 2 DID, 3 PTSD in varying strengths, and one person's secondary personality has borderline traits.)