I have trouble keeping weight off

Options
Hey guys I’m having trouble with keeping weight off. Does anyone ever get used to eating less than they used to?

Replies

• claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    Have you experimented with different foods? Some people find carbs filling, some prefer protein or fat. And fibre is great at filling you up. There’s a thread somewhere on the nutrition comments about volume eaters - have a look at what people say on there for ideas.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Can you move your calorie intake around to eat more when you are hungrier and less when you won't miss it as much?
    (e.g. I can skip breakfast very easily to shave off a few hundred calories but would feel very restricted taking off the same calories in the evening.)

An alternative solution.....
    Is it possible for you to add to your CO (daily activity and/or exercise) so you don't have to restrict your CI so much?
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    To add to @sijomial’s last paragraph.
    This thread (below) is helpful for just moving more with everyday activity, not adding extra workouts into your day.

I’m a small older woman so get few calories even in maintenance. Just working on my daily activity level gave me a couple of hundred extra cals a day without really noticing.
    Such a shame all those efficiencies I’d built up over the decades were thrown out the window :)

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10610953/neat-improvement-strategies-to-improve-weight-loss/p1

Cheers, h.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    For maintenance, I don't really eat less than I used to...but I move a lot more than I used to. My issue was never going crazy with food...my issue was going from a very active lifestyle to sedentary pretty much overnight. Choosing not to be sedentary has fixed that issue.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    Options
    Hey guys I’m having trouble with keeping weight off. Does anyone ever get used to eating less than they used to?

I guess yes, since I'm in about year 5 of maintaining a healthy weight, after about 3 previous decades of obesity. There have been ups and downs in weight, but all within a healthy range (BMI 20-23, mostly), and I've stayed the same clothing size (tighter at some times than others, but not absurdly tight).

I do eat different portion sizes and proportions of foods, and frequencies, but haven't dramatically changed which foods I eat. I expect to keep calorie counting indefinitely. (I've counted/logged most days since mid 2015, though not every single day - I skip some. It's down to enough of a routine that it probably doesn't take more than 10 minutes or so daily, and that's well worth it to me, for the many benefits.)

I feel like treating weight loss as maintenance practice helped me, i.e., I didn't do anything to lose weight that I wasn't willing to keep up permanently, other than a sensible calorie deficit. I used the weight loss period to experiment, and figure out what kept me full & happy, while hitting a calorie goal, getting adequate nutrition, and being practical. Not everyone chooses or needs to do that, but it served me well.

What do you perceive that you're struggling with, that makes maintenance difficult for you?
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    I drink coffee in the morning and if possible eat breakfast at work closer to 9 or 9:30 am. Little shifts like that help, as done eating dinner early, right at 5.
  • bostonpaul22
    bostonpaul22 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Try increasing your daily caloric intake and also increasing your cardio/energy expenditure, it will allow you to eat more food it just comes with an expense of you having to be a bit more active throughout the day