when is enough, enough?

Options
i have lost 10 pounds (118 at 5'4") and i am the lightest i have been since middle school! i have never been unhealthily overweight, either. but i still look at myself in the mirror and see things that i am unhappy with--my legs, my stomach, etc. are there some things that we just can't change, no matter how much weight we lose? when is our weight loss enough--at a number or at an image? and when is it too much??

(i am doing a regular weights program, and i am a runner)

Replies

• tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Sounds like your problem isn't weight, but body composition. Hit the weights, and your body will transform the way you want it.
  • Andythefitfamilyman
    Options
    Just my opinion if your worried about them areas then tone up, as far as the weight thing goes I think its a image thing and no matter what weight you lose it will never be good enough, so with that you should maybe seek some help, no shame in it,i do
  • garconnie
    garconnie Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm just shy of 5 feet 4 inches and my ideal weight is 105. Right now I am 122 and its overweight for me. I'm trying to at least get to 115 and then tone up. Maybe you still could lose a pound or two?
  • manjingirl
    manjingirl Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I agree with Tigersword - start a weights program in combination with cardio training. There are plenty of good programs on the net, you can find a body weights program if you don't want to go to the gym. But remember muscle takes a long time to grow - 8 to 12 weeks so don't expect quick changes. You could look at it as a long term healthy change with every workout being beneficial. Good luck with that.
  • sgha
    sgha Posts: 225
    Options
    Ditto on the weights,
  • rebysue
    rebysue Posts: 136
    Options
    I'm just shy of 5 feet 4 inches and my ideal weight is 105. Right now I am 122 and its overweight for me. I'm trying to at least get to 115 and then tone up. Maybe you still could lose a pound or two?

Not sure where you got these numbers. Everything I can find says the ideal range for a 5'4" woman is 109-145 so 118 is definitely within that range. Sounds like it may be a bit of a body image thing but it can't hurt to try the toning exercises! Best of luck to you!
  • garconnie
    garconnie Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    145 on my frame is grossly overweight. I have a small frame and to look in a bikini I have to be around 105-110 range. When I get down to 118 I'll still have more weight to lose. Every body is shaped idfferently. If you are petite have small bones, you might still have extra body fat on your body. I am 122 and still have body fat.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,412 MFP Moderator
    Options
    both to gaconnie and the original poster, losing more weight wont necessarily make you look better in those ares. Heck, I bet you could gain weigh and still look better in a bathing suit and get rid of those stubborn areas. It's all about increase muscle definition which means weight training and eating a lot of calories to increase muscle growth. If you reduce body fat, your body will be tigher and small but your weight wont necessarily be lower. If you want a good program to this, look into p90x, insanity, chalean extreme, or turbo fire. But with these programs, comes the need to eat a lot of calories (i personally eat 2800 on CLX, I would need 3200 on p90x and insanity) but I have decrease my body fat by 6% (started at 18 and now at 12 or less). In that time, I only lost 10 lbs though.

Something to think about.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    145 on my frame is grossly overweight. I have a small frame and to look in a bikini I have to be around 105-110 range. When I get down to 118 I'll still have more weight to lose. Every body is shaped idfferently. If you are petite have small bones, you might still have extra body fat on your body. I am 122 and still have body fat.

You know you are supposed to have body fat, right? Female athletes have 20% body fat.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I agree with Tigersword - start a weights program in combination with cardio training. There are plenty of good programs on the net, you can find a body weights program if you don't want to go to the gym. But remember muscle takes a long time to grow - 8 to 12 weeks so don't expect quick changes. You could look at it as a long term healthy change with every workout being beneficial. Good luck with that.

OP already stated she is a runner and is strength training.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    i have lost 10 pounds (118 at 5'4") and i am the lightest i have been since middle school! i have never been unhealthily overweight, either. but i still look at myself in the mirror and see things that i am unhappy with--my legs, my stomach, etc. are there some things that we just can't change, no matter how much weight we lose? when is our weight loss enough--at a number or at an image? and when is it too much??

(i am doing a regular weights program, and i am a runner)

There are differences between:

A healthy body

A "thin" body

An athletic body

Each will require a somewhat different approach.

In addition, we are all born with certain physical attributes and proportions. At some point you have to work with what you have and learn to accept yourself the way you are made.

As to the original question (when is enough enough?), that depends partly on your goals and partly on your reasons for wanting to continue to lose weight--and partly on your current body composition.

There is nothing wrong with wanting to be athletically lean. On the other hand, people with unhealthy body images are going to be unhappy no matter how they look--in that case no amount of training or weight loss will be sufficient. So people have to be honest with themselves about their motivation.

If you have a chance, it would be a good idea to have your body fat tested. That would give you a better idea of your frame size and how realistic your goals are.
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    Assuming that your body image is healthy, I wonder if you might want to stop concentrating on what the scale says. Do you want to simply weigh less or are you looking to get a stronger, leaner look? Someone posted the following blog post on another thread yesterday and I really loved it because it showed just how meaningless the scale alone can be:

http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

Check it out. There are pictures of the young woman (5'4) at 170 lbs, 117 lbs, 131 lbs and 142 lbs. In the last three weights, she looks roughly the same pants size, but grows progressively more athletic looking. (I'm not saying that her body is what you are aiming for or should aim for. I'm just pointing out that maybe you need some more helpful metrics to gauge your progression toward your goals.)
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    you could try a recomp style plan, lift heavy and eat right around maintenance.
  • tinamarie204
    Options
    I agree on the body fat...otherwise you end up looking like Madonna- all gnewing and griselely!
  • starwhisperer
    Options
    Assuming that your body image is healthy, I wonder if you might want to stop concentrating on what the scale says. Do you want to simply weigh less or are you looking to get a stronger, leaner look? Someone posted the following blog post on another thread yesterday and I really loved it because it showed just how meaningless the scale alone can be:

http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

Check it out. There are pictures of the young woman (5'4) at 170 lbs, 117 lbs, 131 lbs and 142 lbs. In the last three weights, she looks roughly the same pants size, but grows progressively more athletic looking. (I'm not saying that her body is what you are aiming for or should aim for. I'm just pointing out that maybe you need some more helpful metrics to gauge your progression toward your goals.)

Awesome link, thank you for sharing that!
  • Caz2678
    Options

This is fantastic!!! Just goes to show that its not all about weight! Lowering body fat and gaining muscle is the way to go for a nice toned body!!
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options

This is fantastic!!! Just goes to show that its not all about weight! Lowering body fat and gaining muscle is the way to go for a nice toned body!!

I know, right? I really just love the photo progression. Some might like her 117lb body. It's not for me, though. And this has given me even more reason to really stop paying attention to the scale. I think I'll start measuring my progress in pull-ups completed instead of pounds lost. :happy:
  • keiraev
    keiraev Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    Staci looks amazing! i wish I could look that good at 142 lb but alas!

It is definitely all about the weights though- I just wish I had time to do it more :(
  • Troll
    Troll Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    I am glad someone posted this. I found an old pair of Bongo jeans that i adored in high school (three years ago). Today, i can't get them beyond the middle of my butt. I pulled and tugged and furrowed my brow and did the "hopping across the floor because women across the world know that's helps" dance. Nothing. Then i put on a gray, faded, one-leg-bleached-because-my-mom-doesn't-understand-laundry-sometimes pair from the same year. and they buttoned. comfortably. and i could sit. and bend. and tie shoes.

Then it dawned on me. I wore the Bongo's at the worst point in my eating disorder, a place i never want to be again. The gray pants had always been super baggy, and now fit like a glove.

I look daily at a wall of magazine clippings from fitness mags of women who i some day want to be able to stand next to and say, "i look like that!" But at the end of the day, i can not lift enough weight or do enough cardio or make my diet perfect enough to change the fact that i am 4'8" tall and have naturally wide hipbones.

I am not a zero.

Those Bongo pants will likely never fit me again.

And i will never have long, lean muscles because my body is predisposed to putting on CHUNKS of muscle.

I am stocky, and i weigh a LOT for my height.

But i have a 23 inch waist.

I found high school jeans that DO fit.

And i can throw my 5'11" fiance over my shoulder and bodyslam him.

So that? Is exactly enough for me.
  • sgha
    sgha Posts: 225
    Options
    :/