Question about adding natural foods to the database

Options
I know that I can normally read a Label on boxed/bottled/bagged or canned foods but how am i supposed to find out the proper info for something like fresh raw organic carrots. or tomatoes from my garden or herbs etc...

I have a product specifically that i'm trying to look up and they don't seem to have a website. "All Natural Fresh Organic Carrots" they are USDAOrganic approved.

Thanks so much!

Replies

• Justkf
    Justkf Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I would think carrots would be the same calories organic or not.
  • funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
  • mfrank47
    mfrank47 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Organic simply means that they are grown without chemical pesticides. A carrot is a carrot is a carrot
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    I always type in the fruit or vegetable with the word "raw" in the search term and find the database entry that doesn't have a * next to it. That is the official MFP entry with multiple serving size suggestions.
  • JulieSD
    JulieSD Posts: 567
    Options
    Organic simply means that they are grown without chemical pesticides. A carrot is a carrot is a carrot

Agree. Organic doesn't change anything about the calorie content of a carrot :)
  • lovelyiskey
    lovelyiskey Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    You guys are a bunch of smarty pants i see. lol I am looking for vitamin content etc... I looked at the nutritional info for the ones in the database and it says some have 40g of sodium in them... i have trouble believing that's possible...
  • CaptainMFP
    CaptainMFP Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Organic won't affect calories, as noted above. However, I don't trust any of the data in MFP for produce. I use the following website and enter all my fresh produce myself. http://www.fruitsandveggiesmorematters.org/?page_id=164

Edit: They have full nutrition information (except for potassium) and serving sizes are presented in g and oz so I can weigh everything and credit for what I've eaten as opposed to what I might have eaten. If you browse my diary, you'll see all of the veggies and fruits are entered as "Steve's" as I've pulled the data from the above site.
  • Jorra
    Options
    You guys are a bunch of smarty pants i see. lol I am looking for vitamin content etc... I looked at the nutritional info for the ones in the database and it says some have 40g of sodium in them... i have trouble believing that's possible...

Extremely possible. All natural food has some kind of sodium content, minute or not. Food is made of cells, cells are full of cytoplasm which contains dissolved sodium.
  • lovelyiskey
    Options
    Organic won't affect calories, as noted above. However, I don't trust any of the data in MFP for produce. I use the following website and enter all my fresh produce myself. http://www.fruitsandveggiesmorematters.org/?page_id=164

Edit: They have full nutrition information (except for potassium) and serving sizes are presented in g and oz so I can weigh everything and credit for what I've eaten as opposed to what I might have eaten. If you browse my diary, you'll see all of the veggies and fruits are entered as "Steve's" as I've pulled the data from the above site.

Thank you, great site!
  • lovelyiskey
    Options

Extremely possible. All natural food has some kind of sodium content, minute or not. Food is made of cells, cells are full of cytoplasm which contains dissolved sodium.
    Well color me educated. I didn't know this. That's very interesting to know it makes sense i guess.
  • lovelyiskey
    Options

THank yOU!
  • CaptainMFP
    CaptainMFP Posts: 440 Member
    Options

True, but very few cells -- plants in particular -- contain very much. The bulk of the sodium in animal bodies is found in extracellular fluids -- namely the plasma of blood and interstitial fluid around cells. Most veggies contain so little sodium as to register as zero...the main role of extracellular sodium in animals (aside from osmotic balance) is for neuro-muscular function...as plants do not have equivalent systems they contain considerably less sodium. Some (like broccoli, cauliflower, and especially celery) contain large amounts of sodium relative to calories, but it is still a fraction of what is found in meat.
  • Jorra
    Options

Well color me educated. I didn't know this. That's very interesting to know it makes sense i guess.

Yay learning! :)
  • Jorra
    Options

True, but very few cells -- plants in particular -- contain very much. The bulk of the sodium in animal bodies is found in extracellular fluids -- namely the plasma of blood and interstitial fluid around cells. Most veggies contain so little sodium as to register as zero...the main role of extracellular sodium in animals (aside from osmotic balance) is for neuro-muscular function...as plants do not have equivalent systems they contain considerably less sodium. Some (like broccoli, cauliflower, and especially celery) contain large amounts of sodium relative to calories, but it is still a fraction of what is found in meat.

Thank you, professor. :)
  • sneezles
    sneezles Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Well, it wouldn't be 40g but 40mg...big difference...
  • Jorra
    Options
    Well, it wouldn't be 40g but 40mg...big difference...

You are smarter than I, I did not even notice it said grams and not milligrams. 40mg is possible, 40g is not, that would kill you.