Good Workout Routines for 250lb-ers?

Options
Does anyone know of any good workouts for someone as heavy as 250? It feels as though everything I try (even those claiming to be for very beginners, with any body type or fitness level) feels impossible. I got the FitOn app, and I ended up getting really down because I just couldn't do anything in it.

Replies

• LisaGetsMoving
    LisaGetsMoving Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Walking is a good sustainable way to get exercise minutes in. When you can walk briskly for 30 minutes, then add in hills or go back and try the workouts that seemed too strenuous now. Build up to the workouts that currently feel impossible.
  • sneaky291
    sneaky291 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Walking. Doesn't have to be fast, just get into the habit of it. I throw on a good podcast or audiobook and the time just flies by. Work your way up to a 30-minute walk, then 45 minutes, then an hour. Then do it regularly. You don't have to do major hardcore workouts, just do something more than you would have done. Your body will respond and you WILL SEE RESULTS! Just give yourself a chance!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Do you have access to weights/gym?

I would suggest three day week beginner lifting program and walking on off lift days...
  • goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    +1 suggestion for walking. When the weather (and pandemic) permits, I like to go walking at some of the local parks around the county. Many of them have "heart trails" with little stations every 300 feet or so, where you do a bodyweight movement or use some simple equipment, which breaks up the monotony of basically walking around in a big circle, pleasant weather and natural scenery notwithstanding. Podcasts or audiobooks also make the time go by faster. I haven't really been able to do this in a while, mostly because of my work schedule but also pandemic.

I have a Planet Fitness membership, and while I'm not keen to go back to working out indoors with other people anytime soon, the Planet Fitness app has a ton of trainer-led workout videos. I've been really impressed with the Beginner Strength, Beginner Cardio and Beginner Dumbbell series on there. The trainers are very supportive and encouraging, and they proactively demonstrate modifications to make things easier.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    I agree. Walking, until it becomes too easy, then you can pick up the pace or add distance. Then invest in some light weights (or resistance bands)and begin training those muscles. Not a huge investment and very versatile. It will also give you more strength to improve other activities that you will eventually want to try.

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    What is your goal?
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i started at over 300 pounds just by walking.

now I'm routinely in the gym, but it took time to build up to that point.
  • gwenster89
    gwenster89 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Start simple! Squats, deadlifts, presses, that kind of thing. Watch a few videos to get your form right and just practice those. Start with small sets and work your way up. You got this!
  • Danam48
    Danam48 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I lost 100 pounds and walking was my only exercise. I just keep increasing speed and distance. Now I also feel like I want to be stronger and not just fit. Search for Holly Honjo on YouTube. I felt it comforting to take some classes from someone who looked like me and understood the difficulties of moving your body when you are overweight and just getting started out.
  • luceegj
    luceegj Posts: 246 Member
    edited February 2021
    Options
    Firstly if you don't have a step tracker I would get one, it doesn't need to be price at all just something to track your daily steps. I would then make sure you're hitting a certain amount each day and this does not go backward. I would look then to increase that over time. This is very good as it isn't strenuous, easy to do most places and can be built up over time.

I would also suggest a beginner's style resistance training, again you can start small and build up reps and weight you use.

I hope this helps

Lucy
    [edited by MFP mods]
  • eliseretzinger
    eliseretzinger Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know of any good workouts for someone as heavy as 250? It feels as though everything I try (even those claiming to be for very beginners, with any body type or fitness level) feels impossible. I got the FitOn app, and I ended up getting really down because I just couldn't do anything in it.

• eliseretzinger
    eliseretzinger Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Try Dance Groove. They are doing a 30 day challenge....check them out on Facebook. Dance exercise that really isnt too hard and gets you started. Makes exercise fun. I love it...best thing I've done for myself.
  • 1poundatax
    1poundatax Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Youtube has some good chair exercies. Google chair exercises for seinors. HASfit, Renew Active and Silver Sneakers all have some good videos and they encourage you to goat your own pace. Do what yu can and build up.
  • 4Phoenix
    4Phoenix Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    HASfit great for beginning weight lifting workouts...