Gaining a lb in one day?

Options
I am on keto and started jogging yesterday and gained a lb! Someone please tell me it's water weight :# I have goals and hate setbacks! lol

Replies

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,117 Member
    Options
    Generally:
    - slow changes in your weight (long-term trend) = changes in bodyfat
    - day to day fluctuations = water weight fluctuations and fluctuations of food waste in your system

If you're not used to jogging, that could explain the uptick (muscle repair)
  • AlyssaP1987
    AlyssaP1987 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Lietchi wrote: »
    Generally:
    - slow changes in your weight (long-term trend) = changes in bodyfat
    - day to day fluctuations = water weight fluctuations and fluctuations of food waste in your system

If you're not used to jogging, that could explain the uptick (muscle repair)

Yeah, haven't exercised in about 2 years! :) I just needed reassurance lol
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    The jogging did it. Keep jogging.. it all equals out later and you get all those extra running calories to eat.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    If you're a woman with a menstrual cycle, you'll likely get hormonal water retention as well. I JUST dropped the 3 pounds I went up due to ovulation a week ago >.<
  • jennacole12
    jennacole12 Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    It’s very doubtful unless you ate 3500 calories over your maintenance, which I highly doubt. It is most likely water weight especially considering you added new activity.
  • MercuryForce
    MercuryForce Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I once gained 10 lbs in a day after cross-country skiing. Between all the work for my muscles and the water I drank while doing it and the sodium bomb sandwich I ate after my body really held on to that water. But, after a few days I was back to normal.

But, that's why I weigh daily. I know it doesn't work for some people. But, for me it really helps me see the trends and fluctuations and not freak out about an upswing. Like tomorrow it is likely to be up because I accidentally am ending up with some carb and sodium heavy meals today. But, because I'm aware of how my body reacts and I know it's just a blip. A few days of drinking water and being a little more aware of my sodium intake and it will come right back down.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I'll suggest you are setting yourself up for some real aggravation and stress even thinking a daily change is meaningful and actionable.

Even a 1 lb loss isn't going to be more than water weight that is measurable by accuracy.

And talk about stress water weight gain.

If your goals have time based points to them, get ready there too.

Suggest rereading the great advice in topic.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    I once gained 10 lbs in a day after cross-country skiing. Between all the work for my muscles and the water I drank while doing it and the sodium bomb sandwich I ate after my body really held on to that water. But, after a few days I was back to normal.

But, that's why I weigh daily. I know it doesn't work for some people. But, for me it really helps me see the trends and fluctuations and not freak out about an upswing. Like tomorrow it is likely to be up because I accidentally am ending up with some carb and sodium heavy meals today. But, because I'm aware of how my body reacts and I know it's just a blip. A few days of drinking water and being a little more aware of my sodium intake and it will come right back down.

Yep, weighing daily is how I learned I retain water when I ovulate, and so I can be prepared for the upswing.
  • AlyssaP1987
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    If you're a woman with a menstrual cycle, you'll likely get hormonal water retention as well. I JUST dropped the 3 pounds I went up due to ovulation a week ago >.<

Unfortunately due to health reasons I am on medication and don't get a period :(
  • Poobah1972
    Poobah1972 Posts: 943 Member
    edited February 2021
    Options
    Without a doubt... Water weight for a Low carb dieter in Keto can fluctuate wildly... And the larger you are the larger the larger the potential fluctuation.

For me, I'm super big... Seriously if I for some reason decided to have a cheat day for some special occasion and ate a typical meal with a typical amount of carbs in it. I can seriously gain 20 pounds. It quite amazing really.

So just 1 pound is peanuts, as your body through various mechanisms can decide it needs a bit extra water weight from one day to the next. In your case, if you haven't been jogging much it likely your leg muscles are sponging up the water to repair and strengthen the muscles. (Just guessing)

As for weighing, my fiancé now only steps on the scale once a month. As she found she could be easily discouraged by the numbers. Myself I don't even step on the scales at all. That said I will start to step on the scales once I loose 150lbs. For now I'm confident the weight is coming off, thus I can also avoid any kind of emotional roller-coaster associated with missed expectations.

:)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,525 Member
    Options
    It came from all the dirt outside settling on you before weigh in. It's water weight and especially if you haven't exercised in a while, you MAY NOT lose any weight for a week or more as your body adapts to regular exercise.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I am on keto and started jogging yesterday and gained a lb! Someone please tell me it's water weight :# I have goals and hate setbacks! lol

Of course it is...do the math.
  • Ddsb11
    Ddsb11 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Yep, water. Also, are you keeping track of your calorie intake, if so how? I did low carb for 10 years and gained weight, so it’s important to monitor your calories.
  • AlyssaP1987
    Options
    msalicia07 wrote: »
    Yep, water. Also, are you keeping track of your calorie intake, if so how? I did low carb for 10 years and gained weight, so it’s important to monitor your calories.

Yes! I track everything through an app called carb manager. I haven't gone over 1400 calories or 20g of net carbs in 3 weeks ♡