Getting started and buddies

Options
Hey!

Im just get started calorie counting after trying half heartedly through January and ending up 2lb gained!!

I need advice, when is the best time to weigh? Weekly? Monthly? Whst do you recommend?

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited February 2021
    Options
    It’s very individual.

I weigh first thing every morning, naked, after peeing. This works for me because I’m not (usually) mentally affected by the scale number. It’s just a data point for me.

If the number on the scale will affect your mental well-being, doing it less often is a better choice.
  • 142jmh
    142jmh Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP!
    I like to weigh every morning. Water retention, sodium intake, hormones / cycles, etc all contribute to weight fluctuations for me, so I like to see frequent data points but pay attention to the trends. Example: If I have fish and chips for dinner on a day where I am still under my calorie goal, I'm pretty well guaranteed to be up almost two pounds the next morning. Not a big deal as I know it's water retention and it will sort itself out in another day. Measurements are also useful to get a better understanding of how our bodies can change even when the scale doesn't, though I usually only measure every month or so.
    I agree with quiksylver296, less often is better if it affects your mental well-being!
  • cannmom
    cannmom Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I usually weigh twice a week. Daily throws me off because I don’t like seeing fluctuations up. Even when I tell myself that it’s not a real gain I find it difficult.
  • trevrunner
    trevrunner Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    @quiksylver296 well said. I guess its obvious but weighing in at the same time, ie first thing in the morning gives you a fair reading.
    I like morning myself, same method as @quiksylver296 😁
  • Kayla2284
    Kayla2284 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Hey! I just started back up again this weekend.

I weigh myself every morning because I like to see how what I eat affects my weight. I do it like @quiksylver296 does, as well.

In doing this, I was able to actually see that not drinking enough water definitely impacts my weightloss.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i weigh every day. it fluctuates sometimes widely. I log it on mfp once a week.

there are many factors as to why weight fluctuates which have been addressed (and you can find other posts regarding it), but it is normal.

you also said you tried 'half heartedly' . that's a definite reason why it would be up.