5k Running NSV :o)

Options
I have been a member of FMP since Jan 30, 2011 and this is my first post :blushing:

I am not one to typically toot my own horn, but I am pretty proud of myself today :bigsmile:

I was never a runner growing up. I did a little track in junior high, but I did sprinting stuff and long jump. When we had to run the mile in gym class, it took me 10.11 min. Which is not a stellar time when you are only running 1 mile. Then in high school I was on the swim team, but again I did sprinting stuff. Just never been good at long distance, my asthma didn't help.

My husband likes to run, and last year decided he wanted to run a 5K. So I walked the 5K pushing our two kids in the double stroller while he ran. Walked it in just over 54 mins.

Then I was laid off in Feb of this year and for some reason decided to take up running. By the beginning of June I coule run a 5K in 40 mins. Then by the beginning of August I did one in 37 mins. So this year we both signed up for the same 5K he ran last year, and this year I was determined that I was going to run it to. So I enlisted someone to come and do the 5K walking and push the kids for me so I could run.

Well the day came. We get this morning, and my help is lost :grumble: Well the race began, and I had the biggest, most unruley, hard to steer double stroller with 55lbs sitting in it (so probably about 70 lbs total with the weight of the stroller and the stuff in the bottom). And I decided, I was still going to run this 5K, stroller or not. So off I went.

Mind you, my neighborhood I had been running around for the past six months is flat. This trail is NOT flat and very curvy. But I ran the whole thing pushing the 70lbs up and down every hill and faught it around every curve and corner. I was even told by someone cheering everyone on towards the end as I was running up a hill that I was a "Strong Mama" :laugh:

I finished the race with a time of 43.35 mins!!! I don't think that was to schabby of a time considering the hills and 70 lbs I was pushing. SO VERY PROUD OF ME TODAY :flowerforyou:

Thanks for reading

Replies

• J3nnaLyn
    Options
    Great job!! That's awesome, and good for you sticking with it and pushing yourself!
  • wutamunkee
    wutamunkee Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Way to not let the lost walker get you down... bonus points!! Turn that negative into a positive... WAY TO GO!!!!
  • tammyll3
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your story! Awesome job!
  • LeslieAJ
    LeslieAJ Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Your post is so inspiring. I will be running my first 5K next week, and anytime I start feeling like it's getting tough, I'll think about you and the stroller.
  • baycat107
    baycat107 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! Congrats. You're one tough cookie.
  • bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    well done you! glad you kept pushing forward.
  • LesliePierceRN
    LesliePierceRN Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Awesome, awesome, awesome!! You're tops in my book!
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    This is fantastic! I'm glad you posted.
  • percussionbeat
    percussionbeat Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    That's amazing!! :D So happy for you..you're a tough one! :)
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    That was awesome and well worth the read! Nice job!!
  • sexyharleymama
    Options
    Thank you all! I appreciate the support :happy:
  • HOSED49
    HOSED49 Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Great job! This reminds me of one of the most inspiring and motivational stories regarding running and being a dedicated parent. Google team Hoyt, the story of **** and Rick Hoyt, a father and son duo that have completed numerous marathons, triathlons etc.. Numerous actually doesn't cover the amount of races this team has completed, but the number of races isn't what makes it so special. Rick was diagnosed with spastic quadriplegic and cerebral palsy, **** pushes him in every race to include marathons, he pulls him in a boat and has a specialized bicycle and stroller for the triathlons! Watch the YouTube video ICAN .... If this doesn't motivate you to run or do more with your kids then nothing will!
  • sexyharleymama
    Options
    Thank you for the tip. I will definately check out the video. Thank you.
  • sisofhoo
    Options
    Fantastic! Keep up the good work!
  • Newkell
    Newkell Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    you came, you saw, you conquered! good job!
  • GreenLifeGirl
    GreenLifeGirl Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    That is an AWESOME NSV!!!! Shows you how strong you have become!
  • sexyharleymama
    Options
    Thank you :blushing:
  • AmyS618
    AmyS618 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    That almost made me cry. Great job! You are awesome!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!