Slimming world fail- back to calorie counting.

Options
I’ve gained so much weight. 5’5.5ft and weighed in this morning at 160lbs 😔
This whole week I’ve been trying slimming world and not obsessing over the calories so much just eating really healthily, and I’ve actually gained weight. It’s so demoralising,
So today I’m going to start calorie counting again, even though I hate it and haven’t got the Will power to stick to it.
Does anyone have any helpful tips or hints for me? Feeling so unmotivated right now, what’s the point in even trying when I just gain weight anyway

Replies

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,389 Member
    Options
    I'm not a Slimming World fan (precisely because you can eat 'healthy' and still eat too many calories), but I also believe in sticking with a strategy long enough to actually determine if it's working.
    One week is really short, our weight naturally fluctuates (hormones, sodium, exercise,...) so being up after one week doesn't necessarily mean it's not working. Patience is required, no matter what strategy you choose.

I would suggest:
    - reading this article regarding weight fluctuations: https://physiqonomics.com/the-weird-and-highly-annoying-world-of-scale-weight-and-fluctuations/
    - installing a weight trending app like Libra or Happyscale to help you determine your weight trend

I like calorie counting, I feel much more in control than I would with a point system.
    Why do you hate it?
  • tgwmhs94
    tgwmhs94 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Lietchi wrote: »
    I'm not a Slimming World fan (precisely because you can eat 'healthy' and still eat too many calories), but I also believe in sticking with a strategy long enough to actually determine if it's working.
    One week is really short, our weight naturally fluctuates (hormones, sodium, exercise,...) so being up after one week doesn't necessarily mean it's not working. Patience is required, no matter what strategy you choose.

I would suggest:
    - reading this article regarding weight fluctuations: https://physiqonomics.com/the-weird-and-highly-annoying-world-of-scale-weight-and-fluctuations/
    - installing a weight trending app like Libra or Happyscale to help you determine your weight trend

I like calorie counting, I feel much more in control than I would with a point system.
    Why do you hate it?

I hate it because I always want more haha. I’m a recovering bulimic and binge eating is a huge issue for me. Through quitting purging I’ve gained about 16 lbs (don’t get me wrong I was never under weight) in a very short time which i want to lose but what I don’t want is to end up in the cycle of an eating disorder again x

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,389 Member
    Options
    Well, calorie counting is often not recommended for people with eating disorders. Always wanting more, is that because you choose an aggressive rate of loss (wanting to lose quickly)? If so, chossing a slower rate of loss would make it easier and more sustainable.
    Or would you have the same reflex of wanting more, no matter what the actual number is? If so, then calorie counting might not be a sustainable option for you. But it might still help you in finding out what appropriate portions are (a few weeks for example).