NET carbs

Options
Why isn't there a way to track "net" carbs in myfitnesspal?
Sue

Replies

• Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    There is, if you're a premium member.

It's not difficult to do yourself though. Just swap out sugar for fibre in the nutrients you have showing in your diary (web version), then subtract fibre from total carbs to get net. Alternatively, include the term 'net carbs' in your search terms and you will find plenty of entries others have made.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,456 Member
    Options
    femmasue wrote: »
    Why isn't there a way to track "net" carbs in myfitnesspal?
    Sue

It's a feature in the premium (paid) version of MFP. In the free version, modify your diary page to show both carbs and fiber as columns. Use vetted database items (with correct carbs, fiber) when you log food. Look at the totals on your diary page, subtract fiber grams from carb grams, and you have a decent approximation of net carbs.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,064 Member
    Options
    I'll point out it's not globally available even on Premium. It's only in the US & Canada at the moment I think. I can't access it on Premium in the UK/Ireland.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,186 Member
    Options
    I'll point out it's not globally available even on Premium. It's only in the US & Canada at the moment I think. I can't access it on Premium in the UK/Ireland.

Doesn't the UK and Ireland already use net carbs on food labels? I know it's the case in Belgium.
  • tinkerbellang83
    edited February 2021
    Options
    Lietchi wrote: »

Doesn't the UK and Ireland already use net carbs on food labels? I know it's the case in Belgium.

Edited perhaps we do, I always assumed it was total carbs.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,186 Member
    Options
    I found this: https://uk.atkins.com/blog/carb-counting-in-the-uk/

It think that also explains why net carbs are only available in the US and Canada.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Lietchi wrote: »

Edited perhaps we do, I always assumed it was total carbs.

We are using the EU food labelling rules in the UK where fibre ( not fiber ;) ) is listed separately to carbs. The carbs we see on our labelling are what our American cousins would call "net carbs"
  • tinkerbellang83
    edited February 2021
    Options
    I've never had need to count them but always saw UK folks amongst the ones moaning about NET carb feature so just assumed. I guess they do say assumption is the mother of f ups
  • drmwc
    drmwc Posts: 989 Member
    edited February 2021
    Options
    If using net carbs, does the app adjust for soluble against insoluble fibre? My understanding is that soluble is 2 calories per gramme; but insoluble is zero. (I don't actually use net carbs myself, as gross seems to have been working for me.)