Calories tracked for strength training

Options
Is there a way in the app to track calories for strength training? i.e. 50 reps of 100lbs each. I could not see that it was supported in the app.

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Log the start to finish duration of your strength training in the CARDIOVASCULAR part of the exercise diary.
    The Strength part of the diary is just an online notebook with no calorie functionality.

Search for "strength training" to get a reasonable estimate for what is (unfortunately) a modest calorie burn.
  • Back_4_more
    Back_4_more Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    You can create a custom exercise. I use a Fitbit and total calories burned for the workout to create a custom under cardio
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,419 Member
    Options
    Heart rate monitor stands a good chance of overestimating strength training calories, because heart rate increases for reasons not related to oxygen uptake. MFP's strength training entry (under cardiovascular) is actually one of the better ways to estimate it.

Explanation:

https://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view?id=hrms-cannot-count-calories-during-strength-training-17698

A few fitness trackers nowadays seem to estimate strength training calories without using HR, which generally would be a good thing. I don't know about Fitbit.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Fitbit has a few models that if you select Weights as the workout, they use the database rate of burn.
    Confirmed with several people.

Now, on software update maybe they all do now, don't know, pretty simple change.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,419 Member
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    Fitbit has a few models that if you select Weights as the workout, they use the database rate of burn.
    Confirmed with several people.

Now, on software update maybe they all do now, don't know, pretty simple change.

Thanks, heybales - good to know! 🙂
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I'll add Garmin without a HR uses a rate of burn based on I have no idea, their database is whack on Strength Training, and if based on RMR they state, is a METs value closer to Circuit Training.