completing the diary

Options
MFP - completing the diary response: "you'll weigh ... in 5 weeks"

this function of MFP will give me results for expectations of weight loss in 5 weeks

but it goes up and down each day...sometimes by 3-4 lbs

which is weird since my caloric intake is not changing

is this a glitch?

or is it giving a more realistic, less linear, expectation of weight loss?

i don't give it much credibility, but it is interesting and can work as a motivator, except when it says you've suddenly gained 4 lbs with no change in diet or exercise

Replies

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    Same intake as in same calorie goal? Or as in precisely the same amount of calories consumed per day? And your intake might not be changing, but it's there a difference in activity? Exercise or step based calorie adjustment?
    In any case, it's just a gimmick, I don't even close my diary anymore.
  • sailor789
    sailor789 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    yes, same calorie goals, same consumed every day....it's really weird...i guess i'll stop using it. you're probably right, its just a gimmick
  • Lietchi
    Options
    Really dumb question but is your weight the same? Because MFP will use your most recent weigh-in as the basis of the calculation. If that fluctuates, the projection will also fluctuate.
  • sailor789
    Options
    well, i haven't changed my weight in the system b/c i'm only on week 2 of my diet and i haven't weighed again. so, yes, weight is same, according to MFP.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    sailor789 wrote: »
    yes, same calorie goals, same consumed every day....it's really weird...i guess i'll stop using it. you're probably right, its just a gimmick

Do you have a tracker linked or logging exercise but not eating it back?
  • Lietchi
    edited February 2021
    Options
    sailor789 wrote: »
    well, i haven't changed my weight in the system b/c i'm only on week 2 of my diet and i haven't weighed again. so, yes, weight is same, according to MFP.

I'm out of options then, sorry, I'll put it down to MFP's technical unreliability :lol:
  • LisaGetsMoving
    LisaGetsMoving Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Just ignore it for now. Mine changes from day to day depending on what I've eaten and how much exercise, it varies a pound or two, but it's just an estimate anyway. I look at it as a "meet it or beat it" opportunity, if anything.
  • sailor789
    Options
    makes sense from here too. i won't pay any attn to it....all that matters is my scale and how my clothes fit anyway. thanks for your insights! :smiley:
  • Jennliftsandspins
    Jennliftsandspins Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    The app probably pays attention to the nutrients in the food logged. So if one day you were to eat, for example, 1300 calories of carbs, sugar and sodium it would give you a different weight than a day you may have eaten 1300 calories of lean protein, lots of vegetables and healthy dairy.

Also amount of steps, activity, starting weight factor in as well.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    since the ' youll weigh x in 5 weeks' is never right to begin with .... i don't pay it any mind on what it says or if the number goes up or down LMAO