Losing weight and dealing with an eating disorder

Options
Hi all! I have an eating disorder called Avoidant Restrictive Food Intake Disorder (ARFID). ARFID is similar to anorexia in that both disorders involve limitations in the amount and/or types of food consumed, but unlike anorexia, ARFID does not involve any distress about body shape or size, or fears of fatness.

I started losing weight pretty rapidly in early 2020, due to having ARFID as well as being laid off and not being able to afford much food. In Feb 2020 I weighed 335lbs. In a year I am down 94lbs. I am starting to slow down now, as I feel like I don’t want to lose much more because of the loose skin getting worse.

I am proud that I have lost this weight, but at the same time slightly ashamed. People have commented on how great I look and that I must feel healthier. I appreciate they are being kind, but this makes me feel ashamed because I didn’t go about it in a healthy way. I don’t tell them that though lol

Anyway, just wondering if anyone can relate to anything I have written. Thanks for reading!

Replies

• stephie_nyc
    stephie_nyc Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I struggled with disordered behaviors with food. I tend to fluctuate between 20 lbs every year and it's really embarrassing for me. I am also trying to lose weight again while working on my relationship with food.

There is an ED facebook group that is REALLY supportive. DM me if you would like the name of it.

I've also started joining free virtual support groups! Do you do any kind of therapy?
  • Wendy_1978
    Wendy_1978 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi Stephie! I have not had therapy, just the diagnosis. It is something I have looked into, but because of my work hours it makes it impossible to get to any appts during business hours. Thank you for replying, I will attempt to DM you to get that referral.
    How long have you had these issues? Mine started as a young kid and has got worse over the years.
  • stephie_nyc
    stephie_nyc Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Wendy_1978 wrote: »
    Hi Stephie! I have not had therapy, just the diagnosis. It is something I have looked into, but because of my work hours it makes it impossible to get to any appts during business hours. Thank you for replying, I will attempt to DM you to get that referral.
    How long have you had these issues? Mine started as a young kid and has got worse over the years.

I know. Work makes it tough. A lot of therapist are working virtually now too though so it might be helpful with your schedule! I started dealing with my issues when I started logging calories on here years ago, actually.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,069 Member
    Options
    OP back to you - speak to your doctor for further guidance on your weight loss, your treatment team once you get beyond just diagnosis, may recommend you pause your weight loss efforts as calorie counting and dieting can trigger disordered behaviour.

I would hope your doctor has given you some reading material already or pointed you in the direction of some, if not, this may be helpful https://www.cambridge.org/files/1015/4408/8646/CBT-AR_workbook_12.4.18.pdf
  • Wendy_1978
    Options
    Tinkerbell,
    I have not spoken with my family doctor at all about how I’ve lost the weight, so they don’t know about my diagnosis or anything about my eating habits. I have not been able to see anyone or talk to anyone about this yet. I intend to talk to someone eventually, just not sure when I can afford to take a day off work. Thank you for the information, I will check that out for sure! I need to educate myself as much as possible.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,069 Member
    Options
    Wendy_1978 wrote: »
    Tinkerbell,
    I have not spoken with my family doctor at all about how I’ve lost the weight, so they don’t know about my diagnosis or anything about my eating habits. I have not been able to see anyone or talk to anyone about this yet. I intend to talk to someone eventually, just not sure when I can afford to take a day off work. Thank you for the information, I will check that out for sure! I need to educate myself as much as possible.

I would encourage you not to put it off too long, your mental health is as important as your physical health, if not more so. I am sure you'll be able to find a therapist or support group that can work around your hours even if it's not face-to-face.

Be as frank as you can with the doctor who has diagnosed you and a therapist when you do see them so you can work with them towards a healthier mindset (I realise that may be easier said than done).
  • Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing. I can't relate to this specifically, but have heard of this eating disorder before. I am a pediatric speech-language pathologist, so sometimes have children with feeding disorders on my caseload. This is a term that I have learned a bit about in the past few years.

As others have said, I would highly recommend speaking with your doctor, or better yet finding a therapist who knows about this disorder. I believe it is a relatively new diagnosis, so you may have to do some digging. I have a somewhat lesser known diagnosis (not related to eating at all), and I think it took 3 or 4 doctors to finally tell me what was going on...after I pretty much figured it out myself after reading an article about it in a magazine! So, you might have to be prepared, unfortunately, for some professionals to blow you off at first if they don't know about it.

I think you will be able to find someone who could see you virtually after work hours, since many therapists who work with adults have later or weekend hours.
  • EliseSon
    EliseSon Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I have also had very rapid weight loss in the last 2 years. My loose skin is very bothersome for me but then I remember why it’s there in the first place!
  • Wendy_1978
    Options
    Thank you to those that replied. I have already come across a doctor that didn’t put much stock into the diagnosis, which is why I’m not too keen on finding another doctor. In my experience doctors have always been less than helpful, I don’t have a lot of trust for them. But I will try again eventually. Thanks for the support all!