What counts as a full serving of fruit and veggies?

I know you have to eat 5 full servings of fruits and veggies, but what counts as 1 full serving?

Replies

• darlilama
    darlilama Posts: 794 Member
    Here's a link to the USDA page for the "My Plate" food groups. If you click on a food group, on that page, on the right is a "how much is needed link". Click THAT and on that page is (yet another) link to a chart that designates for your sex & age what you should be eating.

http://www.choosemyplate.gov/foodgroups/index.html

There may be an easier way to get to that information, but I didn't spend tons of time on the site looking. Then again, it's the government, so it just could be another example of bureaucracy. :laugh:
  • Here in New Zealand, I've always measured a serving as about a palm full, when it comes to fruit and vegetables. Just as a guideline. In regards to fruit, ie Apple, Banana's - one serving is one piece of fruit.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Here in New Zealand, I've always measured a serving as about a palm full, when it comes to fruit and vegetables. Just as a guideline. In regards to fruit, ie Apple, Banana's - one serving is one piece of fruit.

So 1 strawberry, is 1 serving? :/
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    In regards to fruit, ie Apple, Banana's - one serving is one piece of fruit.

depends on the size. with our 'super-sized' fruit in the usa, one large apple is actually 2 servings. same with an average sized banana. a serving size of strawberries is 5 small/4 medium/3 large.
  • GreenGettingLean
    GreenGettingLean Posts: 252 Member
    Here in New Zealand, I've always measured a serving as about a palm full, when it comes to fruit and vegetables. Just as a guideline. In regards to fruit, ie Apple, Banana's - one serving is one piece of fruit.

And a watermelon is only one serving? :laugh: just kidding, I have actually often wondered myself how much "one serving" of fruit is.
  • ercarnes
    ercarnes Posts: 43 Member
    I have done Weight Watchers and we counted half a cup as one serving.
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member

And a watermelon is only one serving? :laugh: just kidding, I have actually often wondered myself how much "one serving" of fruit is.

I've always been told a serving of anything is about the same size as the palm of your hand.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    I have done Weight Watchers and we counted half a cup as one serving.

This is what I've learned
  • Lift_hard_eat_big

I've always been told a serving of anything is about the same size as the palm of your hand.

Not good to use your palm. Everyone's palms are different size, i.e. man hands vs. lady hands, and then how high do we stack the fruit?
  • darlilama
    darlilama Posts: 794 Member
    From USDA based on their new "my plate" guidelines. It didn't copy nicely here. See: http://www.choosemyplate.gov/foodgroups/fruits_counts.html#

Daily recommendation*

Women
    19-30 years old 2 cups**
    31-50 years old 1 ½ cups**
    51+ years old 1 ½ cups**

Men
    19-30 years old 2 cups**
    31-50 years old 2 cups**
    51+ years old 2 cups**

*These amounts are appropriate for individuals who get less than 30 minutes per day of moderate physical activity, beyond normal daily activities. Those who are more physically active may be able to consume more while staying within calorie needs. Click here for more information about physical activity.
    ** Click here to see what counts as a cup of fruit.

What counts as a cup of fruit?

In general, 1 cup of fruit or 100% fruit juice, or ½ cup of dried fruit can be considered as 1 cup from the Fruit Group. The following specific amounts count as 1 cup of fruit (in some cases equivalents for ½ cup are also shown) towards your daily recommended intake:

Amount that counts as 1 cup of fruit Amount that counts as ½ cup of fruit
    Apple
    ½ large (3.25" diameter) 1 small (2.5" diameter)
    1 cup sliced or chopped, raw or cooked
    ½ cup sliced or chopped, raw or cooked

Applesauce
    1 cup
    1 snack container (4 oz)

Banana
    1 cup sliced
    1 small (less than 6” long)

1 large (8" to 9" long)

Cantaloupe
    1 cup diced or melon balls
    1 medium wedge (1/8 of a med. melon)

Grapes
    1 cup whole or cut-up

32 seedless grapes
    16 seedless grapes

Grapefruit
    1 medium (4" diameter)
    ½ medium (4" diameter)

1 cup sections

Mixed fruit (fruit cocktail)
    1 cup diced or sliced, raw or canned, drained
    1 snack container (4 oz) drained = 3/8 cup

Orange
    1 large (3-1/16" diameter)
    1 small (2-3/8" diameter)

1 cup sections

Orange, mandarin
    1 cup canned, drained

Peach
    1 large (2 ¾" diameter)
    1 small (2" diameter)

1 cup sliced or diced, raw, cooked, or canned, drained

2 halves, canned

Pear
    1 medium pear (2.5 per lb)

1 cup sliced or diced, raw, cooked, or canned, drained

Pineapple
    1 cup chunks, sliced or crushed, raw, cooked or canned, drained

Plum
    1 cup sliced raw or cooked

3 medium or 2 large plums
    1 large plum

Strawberries
    About 8 large berries

1 cup whole, halved, or sliced, fresh or frozen
    ½ cup whole, halved, or sliced

Watermelon
    1 small wedge (1" thick)
    6 melon balls

1 cup diced or balls

Dried fruit (raisins, prunes, apricots, etc.)
    ½ cup dried fruit is equivalent to 1 cup fruit:
    ½ cup raisins
    ½ cup prunes
    ½ cup dried apricots
    ¼ cup dried fruit is equivalent to ½ cup fruit 1 small box raisins (1.5 oz)

100% fruit juice (orange, apple, grape, grapefruit, etc.)
    1 cup
    ½ cup