I keep surpassing my daily calories...

Options
So, people normally gain weight because they are inactive (which is not me), and/or they lack discipline and eat too many calories (me! me!). So here's the thing, I can't seem to discipline myself. I'm an evening snacker, so I'm thinking maybe I need to save up some calories from the day, in order to have some left at night?

Any ideas on low calorie yet satisfying snacks?

Any other suggestions?

(ps. even though I'm eating too many calories, I'm still losing weight, just really.....realllyy slowly) :(

Replies

• mommyfor3boys
    mommyfor3boys Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I was just talking to my chiropractor about this and he said I need to eat a big meal for breakfast, then smaller as the day goes on... I am such a snacker at night when hubby is gone and kids are in bed. I have to admit it has helped me not snack as much at night cause i am more full through out the day.
  • nrvo
    nrvo Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    It might help if you open your diary :flowerforyou:

I know I stay fuller when I eat more protein and fiber. Fage 0% greek yogurt, seasonal fresh fruits and veggies, low-sodium lunchmeat, 100-cal popcorn, and slow churned ice cream cups are some of my favorites. My diary is open if you wanna check it out!
  • katharos3
    katharos3 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Ugh, I'm the same. I do great during the day, and it's like I can't stop eating after dinner. lol If I'm really being disciplined and planning ahead, I save enough calories to eat a bowl of cereal. Something high fiber but still sweet so I feel like I'm getting dessert, like frosted mini wheats. Unfortunately, I'm not very disciplined most days, so my bowl of cereal puts me over, and I'm losing, but WAY slower than I want to. *sigh*
  • mccgivens
    Options
    Saving calories will help. I usually drink a cup of coffee at night if I have the urge to eat. If that doesn't work, (which is about 50% of the time) I grab an applesauce, banana, fiber bar or something around 100 cals.
  • luckypoisonivy
    Options
    I love the Ranch flavored Quaker mini rice snacks. I have a hard time not snacking at night but lately I have been eating sugar snap peas or carrots when I get that snacky feeling. Good luck.
  • russellma
    russellma Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Try to get 20-30 grams of protein first thing in the morning, and then with each meal. Fiber keeps you full, too.
  • srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    Options
    I can relate although I tend to snack in the afternoon. Lite microwave popcorn? Veggies and hummus or low-cal dressing/dip? Lean protein (I snack on imitation crab or deli meat)? I think you just need to plan for it. Either that or find something that keeps you busy and away from food in the evening - exercise? A craft that keeps your hands occupied?
  • pristinebutterfly
    Options
    I have the SAME problem and totally understand your frustration. What I've found that works for me is to plan, plan, plan. I decide the day before exactly what I am going to eat the next day and input it into my myfitnesspal app -- meals, snacks and all. Doing this makes it much easier to keep my calorie consumption in check.

My fave low calorie snack: Dannon Light and Fit Vanilla yogurt and a chopped up nectarine... sooooo yummy!
  • Heidi64
    Heidi64 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Drinking 8-12 glasses a day has helped me. (Most times, lol)
  • stephanie012000
    stephanie012000 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem when I was having a drink or two at night. Alcohol lowers the ability to say "no." I found that if I HAVE to snack, as in my stomach says "eat," or even when my mind says "eat" but I know I'm not hungry, that carrots or celery work wonders. If you need a little taste of something savory to go with it, try pickles, green olives (just a few), a little tiny dab of dressing, or a little tiny dab of peanut butter, and then WALK AWAY. Maybe even go to bed early -- that's helped for me.:happy:
  • moniquelessard
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas. I eat a lot of protein, but at night I want snacky foods - especially popcorn and I refuse to eat plain popcorn. Yuck! I do like rice cakes though, so I will try that. I'm sipping peppermint tea right now (2 cals) :)

I guess today I am ultra frustrated because I had to meet someone at a breakfast restaurant and afterwards I realized I'd eaten 1/2 my days worth of calories at breakfast alone!! Thanks for the support!! :D
  • moniquelessard
    Options
    I have the SAME problem and totally understand your frustration. What I've found that works for me is to plan, plan, plan. I decide the day before exactly what I am going to eat the next day and input it into my myfitnesspal app -- meals, snacks and all. Doing this makes it much easier to keep my calorie consumption in check.

My fave low calorie snack: Dannon Light and Fit Vanilla yogurt and a chopped up nectarine... sooooo yummy!

I LOVE this idea! Thanks! I'm a planner in other things, so I really should adopt the same strategy here. Makes sense. Excellent :)
  • navjhaj
    Options
    This was my BIG problem, too. I can venture into the gym, hit the elliptical for 2 hours straight on the highest resistance setting (20/20), apparently burn 2000 calories during that time, all the while only getting my heart rate up to like 135-140 at the end of that period. . And wind up losing no weight!

Because I was very indisciplined and ate terribly.

Now, I exercise very moderately, and have been under the NET calorie threshold practically every day since I started this site at the end of the August. I've cut out all sweets, lots of sugars, soda, desserts, fast food. I've targeted meal plans that are satisfying, my breakfast is nothing more than 3 types of soy products (soy chorizo, fake soy sausage, yum) with Greek yogurt. Really gets the day on the right start. Or else, Irish steel cuts with fruit. No deviation on that breakfast plan. Sets the table perfectly for the rest of the day.

I think if you can make it a habit for one day, you can extend it for 2, then for 3, 4, 5. When you get to 3 weeks or so, it's easier to become permanently internalized.
  • eelamme
    eelamme Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    Am a total night owl and with that comes a plethora of snacking. Not much of a breakfast eater either. Since joining MFP I've been working hard on the latter. Have noticed that though I may seem or actually be hungrier quicker, it has kept from being remotely hungry later...even the munchies have been more at bay.
  • moniquelessard
    Options
    Glad to know I'm not alone in this, and that with some dedication I can overcome it.

On another note if anyone wants to friend me, I'm all for supporting one another. I'm a parent and a nursing student, so other like-minded individuals are welcome! Not sure how the friending thing works, but I'm open to it!

xo
    Monique