ZUMBA???!!!!

Hey all,
Has anyone on here tried Zumba? I had this suggested to me by my cousin and I'm wondering about it.... Does it burn alot of calories? Is it any fun? or well as much fun as a workout can be?

Replies

• luvmycandies
    luvmycandies Posts: 489 Member
    Zumba can be alot of fun. I love it. There are many different versions out there. I burn about 300 cal in 30-40 minutes. Get the one that works for you. I use the Zumba with the Xbox 360. Good luck .
  • BreakinTheChains
    BreakinTheChains Posts: 381 Member
    I have , it's a great cardio work and yes it burns calories.. It's alot of fun..
  • angel79202
    angel79202 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Zumba is awesome! I take 4 classes a week, huge calorie burn and so much fun!!!
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Hey all,
    Has anyone on here tried Zumba? I had this suggested to me by my cousin and I'm wondering about it.... Does it burn alot of calories? Is it any fun? or well as much fun as a workout can be?

Zumba is a TON of fun and can burn A LOT of calories depending on how much effort you put forth. I did an hour Zumba class this morning and my heart rate monitor said 722 calories. I HIGHLY recommend it. The dvd's are okay, but there's nothing like a live class!!
  • Kelblue1
    Kelblue1 Posts: 139 Member
    I love it! I own the DVD collection and do it now a couple times a week! I burn about 500-700 calories an hour.
  • love it!!
  • I love it too! I have the DVDs and do them 2 to 3 times a week. I bought them in May and now they are getting really monotonous. I would like to buy the new ones and will eventually. I would love to try a class, but there aren't many in my area.

I can't dance a lick either, but feel like I'm shaking the money maker when I do these and it doesn't matter.
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Give it a shot! My gym has 5 classes per week: 2 regular, 2 toning and 1 aqua. I burn anywhere from 300-500 cals based on which class I'm doing, and I try to go to all of them (my cals will probably increase as I get more familiar with the choreography - I just started a couple weeks ago). Maybe take a look at a couple YouTube videos to see if you like what you see, and if you do, attend a class :smile:
  • kfriedm1
    kfriedm1 Posts: 6 Member
    Hey all,

Zumba is amazing! I am an instructor and I take classes all the time. You can burn anywhere from 400-800 calories a class. It's fun and it doesn't even feel like working out.
  • TammiAcker
    TammiAcker Posts: 53 Member
    Yes definately try it! It burns tons of calories if you get into it. Like it was mentioned above try a live class! That truly if my fav, but I love to dance. I have a friend who doesn't think she has rhythm, so she loves the videos and games at home so she doesn't feel embarrassed. It seriously is the most fun I've had working out. They don't offer a class in a time frame I can make, so unfortunately I'm not able to go nearly as much as I would like. ;( Go to zumbacalories.com and type in your weight and length of class and you can find out an estimate of what you could burn in a class. Also many of gyms offer a "free trial class" so if you are curious about a live class, but aren't ready to pay for a gym membership there check into it.
  • Jennical
    Jennical Posts: 219 Member
    I have recently started Zumba and I love it. I look forward to doing it... I don't have a HRM so I usually just log it as Aerobics general. To me, it's a challenge because I have been ONLY walking on my treadmill for 3 months. I am hoping that I will see some changes in my body in the near future. I have lost about 19 pounds in the three months that I have been walking. Try it..I am sure you will like it....
  • Yes, it works! Also a lot of fun.
  • Its so much fun!
  • Thanks Everyone I did check out some you tube videos and it looks like a ton of fun. I am going to call around the local gyms tomorrow to see about the free trial class and if not I'll give it a try another way. Again thanks for the comments :D
  • dovesgate
    dovesgate Posts: 894 Member
    I've gone to the Zumba Circuit class at my local Curves and I just got Zumba for my Wii tonight. I can't wait to try it out tomorrow!
  • OMG!!! I luv Zumba!!! There is definitely so many ways you can do it, gym, wii, dvd ect, but I choose to do it in my own home for the moment so I ordered the DVDs. I personally like the older ones. I purchased the newest set about 2 months ago $100 dollars later and I was kind of disappointed.. The older version was different, better in my opinion. not sure how to explain it...lol.. o and cheaper!!

By all means if you've never tried it, U HAVE TO!! It is fun, you sweat, burn lots of calories and even feel sexy!!
  • roblow65
    roblow65 Posts: 156 Member
    Zumba definitely works! At my weight, even doing it at a low level if I'm having a "bad" day, I can burn around 800 calories an hour. In the beginning I lost inches first I only recently saw the scale moving. Remember to have a towel close by because you will sweat buckets!! :wink:
  • Dreamer1311
    Dreamer1311 Posts: 203 Member
    I am addicted to Zumba! Its a great and fun workout :-)
  • HeatherR930
    HeatherR930 Posts: 214 Member
    Zumba is SO much fun! I can't even dance that well & am so out of shape, but I started going a month ago when I joined my gym, and I am very addicted already. I started just going to the Saturday class, but now I go to every single class I can make! (3-4 per week!) Most gyms will let you do a trial class, as mentioned, but my gym gave me a whole week trial to check it out before I committed! Go to zumba.com & you can check out all the classes in your area and then check around for prices.

I agree with the others who said to do a LIVE CLASS! If you do it at home from a DVD, the same dance every time can get boring, AND you can easily cheat or turn it off before it's over. Being in the class holds you accountable to finish the workout, AND it goes by SO fast. I can hardly believe when the hour is up! :)
  • bobbi29
    bobbi29 Posts: 138 Member
    I also have Zumba DVDs that I do a couple times a week. My question is how do you log zumba? I can find it in the exercise section so I log it as Dancing. What do you all use?