Calorie sticker shock: have you experienced this?

Options

Replies

• valeriebpdx
    valeriebpdx Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Believe it or not, Pam cooking spray! If you spray your pan with it for 1/16th of a second, it's 2 calories. The average person sprays for about 5 seconds- that's around 100 calories added to your meal, before you even start cooking! When you're trying to do 300- 400 calories per meal, you start to pay attention to the little stuff like that. :)

If you sprayed Pam for five seconds it would be pooling in the pan. Gross. I refuse (or am heartbroken by how people cook, one or the other) to believe that a five-second spray is "average."
  • Lotstoluv263
    Options
    I was at Mimi's the other day for lunch and the grilled chicken sandwhich looked so appitizing in the menu, but as soon as I looked at the calories, I quickly changed my mind.....A whopping 1250....and that is without a side!! I opted for the half turkey andwhich and salad with dressing on the dide for less than 400!! A much better choice. Also, I no longer eat my favorite thing on Applebee's menu, which is the orange chicken bowl with brown rice and veggies, a whopping 1650!! It makes you think when you look at the menu's and see the calories, but I am sure glad they are on the menu's now!!!
  • mamax5
    mamax5 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Having calorie sticker shock just reading this thread O.O!
  • garlic7girl
    garlic7girl Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    Yes just this Thursday at work a speaker provided us with lunch from Corner Bakery....Oh boy so glad I only ate half the sandwhich!!! It was 680!!!!!! It was just cheese basil and tomatoes!
  • Marianna194
    Marianna194 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I live in Canada and there's a place here called Thai Express. I used to love love love their Pad Sew, and ate it religiously. Apparently it's over a 1000 cals though!! No wonder I've been gaining weight!
  • Louieanne
    Louieanne Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    For me it was the thai phoon shrimp app. at Ruby Tuesdays. That's my favorite but sooo not worth the calories!
  • Tobefitalways
    Options
    The California whopper at Burger King packs over 800 calories...looks healthy with avocado and tomatoes until you see the calorie count. Yikes!!
  • nicehormones
    nicehormones Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Believe it or not, Pam cooking spray! If you spray your pan with it for 1/16th of a second, it's 2 calories. The average person sprays for about 5 seconds- that's around 100 calories added to your meal, before you even start cooking! When you're trying to do 300- 400 calories per meal, you start to pay attention to the little stuff like that. :)

If you sprayed Pam for five seconds it would be pooling in the pan. Gross. I refuse (or am heartbroken by how people cook, one or the other) to believe that a five-second spray is "average."

I agree, it would be a ridiculous amount in the pan. The longest I will spray is for one full second...
  • janetb21
    janetb21 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I was on WW and got a salad from Chili's - I don't rmember which one, but it sounded pretty safe. Nope! it was 20 points. Most of my day's worth. I definitely pre-plan now.
  • peterson_jessica
    Options
    I have had two pretty bad sticker shocks. One was even before I was trying to lose weight. That was the Club from Jimmy Johns..... approximately 1000 calories! =O in a sandwich! I wasn't even paying attention to sodium...... I still love JJ's as a very special treat. Another was a medium DQ Blizzard. I figured it was bad but couldn't be that bad so I checked after I ate it (big mistake) and realized I had consumed 900 calories! Wowza. It's no wonder America has an obesity problem.
  • inlander
    inlander Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    The salads at Red Robin. It was my birthday dinner last night and I wanted to stay in and cook my own birthday dinner after looking at the calorie count on mere SALADS at restaurants.
  • L2M1D52
    L2M1D52 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I haven't eaten it since I started eating better. However, I would look up stuff that I previously ate. My shocked moment was with the Portillo's Chicken Ceasar Salad= 1200 calories. Even their hamburger, cheese fries, and italian beef were fewer calories.
  • runbikebreathe
    Options
    This summer, I decided to try Coldstone ice cream for the first time after hearing such rave reviews about it. I decided to get the "All Lovin' No Oven" signature creation in the "Like It" size (a small). Although it was good, it wasn't anything to write home about - not to mention that the portion size was much smaller than I expected. I looked it up after I ate it and discovered that it has around 655 calories and 31 grams of fat...for a small! Needless to say, I've been extremely diligent on looking up nutritional information BEFORE I eat something unfamiliar ever since.
  • kschhr
    kschhr Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    What's scary is that it probably WASN'T including the fries. I'm always afraid of eating out.. I almost always end up with soup, nowadays. Tortilla is the best from Red Robin or Claim Jumper. :)
  • _Ben
    _Ben Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    A bowl of icecream, I was shocked, and very very very sad to realize that a real persons portion of icecream was so high. I dont eat icecream, or desert very often, but I was very sad to find this out
  • maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    One of the best things about smart phones! I can look something up before I order!
  • CindyWarner
    Options
    ^^^^ Try skinny cow's instead. They are only 100 calories. :wink:

But yes I had East Indian Butter Chicken tonight and ate half of it. 600 cals.
  • NuMe46
    NuMe46 Posts: 128
    Options
    Sodium is the shocker for me. Captain D's 1/2 cup of green beans - 500 mg. Also the under 500 calorie menu at Applebee's. All of them are loaded with sodium.

Reading labels can be a real eye opener. Not just calories, but sugar and sodium are culprits.
  • claire_xox
    claire_xox Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    1 Marshmellow =80 calories
    errr never adding 4 of those to my hot choc again!
  • sarahcav123
    sarahcav123 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Shop-bought sandwiches are so calorific - its so depressing!

Eating out is such a pain - it takes me so long to order, trying to figure out a ballpark number as to how many calories is in the food. They should have the calories on the menu!