Accidental Ketosis?

Options
zoer302
zoer302 Posts: 23 Member
edited February 2021 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi everyone. Restarted my fitness journey a month ago and lost 6lbs. I'm a 31 year old female.

For the last month I've been eating 1500 calories a day. On a standard day I'll have homemade crustless quiche with a variety of roasted vegetables or soup for lunch, and for dinner it's pretty varied but it's usually some form of meat protein and some form of vegetable (chicken breast and carrot and swede mash for example). Occasionally I'll have porridge (oatmeal) for lunch instead or I'll throw in a couple of potatoes with my dinner. For snacks I'll have fruit.

For the last 5 days I have had a horrible metal taste in my mouth that I can't shift. I've no medical issues other than PCOS. Due to my job I have covid testing twice a week. Always negative. Had full blood work done 6 months ago and everything was fine. Definitely not pregnant. We can rule out anything dental as I had my check up last year and everything was fine. I doubt I've got any vitamin deficiencies (other than Vitamin D) so what the hell? It happened so suddenly.

Although I've been eating a lot less carbs than usual, I doubt I've accidentally gone into ketosis.... or have I? I've heard Ketosis can cause a metal taste in the mouth?

I eat carby veg and like I say I have the occasional bowl of porridge and occasional potatoes.... although the portion sizes are small.

I've had a big jacket potato for dinner tonight so I'm going to see what happens tomorrow.

Any thoughts?

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    There's another thread somewhere on the boards about something similar. I'll see if I can find it and post the link.
  • zoer302
    zoer302 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    There's another thread somewhere on the boards about something similar. I'll see if I can find it and post the link.

Brill, thanks
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    Not about metallic taste specifically but maybe there's something in there that might help: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10590306/help-persistent-oily-greasy-waxy-feel-in-mouth/p1
  • Safari_Gal_
    Safari_Gal_ Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    Keto would be under 25 carbs a day.. so eating quiche or potatoes would likely be too high carb.

Do you log everything you eat? Where your carbs that low?

Keto also makes you lose water weight .. have you been taking extra trips to the bathroom? Ive never heard of metallic taste being a keto phenomenon IME. Maybe vitamin or prescription aftertaste?

• springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,479 Member
    edited February 2021
    Options
    It may be something you’re eating? I got a bag of frozen strawberries.

They have a very strong metallic taste and smell, and leave my tastebuds icky for a couple hours afterwards.

We have occasional issues where our normally fabulous water system will develop a metallic taste. Could it be your water supply? After all, you drink and cook with it.

And finally, our dishwasher can leave a film or something on freshly washed dishes that gives them a metallic odor and taste- especially on the drinking glasses and cutlery. It drives me mental. I’ve tried everything I can think of.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    Some people think cilantro has a metallic taste.

How many carbs (not including fiber) are you eating, and are you active? It seems unlikely, especially if you are including potatoes and oats, but if you are active and at a substantial deficit and eating mostly meat and eggs and veg, maybe.
  • natasor1
    natasor1 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Eating food every day won't take you to ketosis. I have to fast for 2 days on water and pureclear broth only to get to Ketones 0.4 in the blood