Knee pain, swollen shin & pins and needles in foot. Couch-5k.

Options
Hi! I could do with some advice please, please be kind as I feel very silly for asking. If I’m asking in the wrong place or shouldn’t be asking at all then please let me know and I will delete of course.

So I started couch-5k a few weeks ago, I’m obese with a BMI of 32 and no exercise for a good few years. I have mental health issues and running outside isn’t an option so I bought a treadmill.

I started the 0-5k but accidentally did it wrong so pushed myself slightly harder than it was meant to be, I felt fine so once I realised this I pushed a little more. I never felt I’d pushed myself too much.

7 runs in and a few hours after my run, I couldn’t walk due to severe pain in my left knee and mild pain in my right knee, the day after it calmed down massively in my left knee but my right knee has progressively got worse for the last 6 days.

I struggle to walk but if I do walk around it starts to feel like something in my knee is moving to the right and back again and also like something else is going to snap. Getting downstairs takes 8 minutes, upstairs about 5 minutes. Weirder though is that for the last 2-3 days I’ve had pins and needles in my foot and very slight foot swelling plus today my shin bone is much less pronounced (so presumably the area around it is swollen).
Is there any sort of knee injury anybody is aware of that can cause pins and needles in the foot and swelling in the lower leg?
I don’t feel as though walking/jogging at the speeds/lengths that I did was even enough to bring on this amount of pain in my knee never mind anything else but I’m a little worried about the pins and needles.
I never jogged at more than 6mph but mostly 4.5mph-5.5mph, walking was 2.2mph-2.5mph, brisk walk was 3mph (I’m only short). No incline. Brisk walk 5 minutes before each session, jogging/walking for 20-30 minutes per session. It seems highly unlikely to me that I’ve done anything serious but I’m a little worried as it’s just getting worse.

Thanks so much in advance.

Replies

• clearlynotamuggle
    Options
    Just apologising for the length of the post 🙈 I’m utterly useless at condensing information! 😬
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    yep. ^^^

Talk to your doctor.
  • clearlynotamuggle
    Options
    Thank you both. I feared that I needed to do this, it’s nigh on impossible at the moment unfortunately so I was hoping someone might know of something minor and obvious that it would be. I’ll try and get a telephone appointment.
    Thank you again.
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Definitely have it checked out, but in the meantime:

try soaking in a tub with Epson salts

Don't use Epsom salt in a hot tub, whirlpool, or other tub with jets unless the manufacturer says it's OK. Keep the part of your body that hurts in the water for at least 12 minutes. Just relax. Check with your doctor about how long and how often you should soak

If you have diabetes, talk to your doctor before soaking your feet in an Epsom salt bath. Soaking your feet may actually increase your risk of foot problems. It's recommended that you wash your feet every day, but you shouldn't soak them. Soaking can dry out your skin.

When taking an Epsom salt bath, you'll want to make sure the water is warm.

• SquirrelBrain
    SquirrelBrain Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Definitely get checked out by a doctor.

Over the years I've attempted Couch-25K three different times and each time although I didn't feel I was pushing myself I ended up with plantar fasciitis and/or shin splints after the first week and had to stop.

If people are carrying extra weight or have a low level of fitness (I was both) then even Couch to 5K can be too much too quickly, and the program doesn't contain any strength or mobility components.

I asked my physical therapist about this recently and she advised I needed to work on my lower body strength first to prevent these injuries.

• DavWillTry
    DavWillTry Posts: 76 Member
    edited February 2021
    Options
    I agree with GummiMundi. I started C25K yesterday. I don't know if there is more than one C25K program, but it is quite unrealistic for overweight couch potatoes.

Couch to walk then to 5K would be more realistic. And as some seem to experience, it would be medically safer, too.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Definitely see a doctor because it’s getting worse, not better. Don’t be surprised if doc wants to see you in person to do a physical exam and possibly order some imaging. I understand it’s difficult right now, but your ability to walk is worth it!
  • clearlynotamuggle
    Options
    Thank you all of you, I will definitely call the GP surgery on Monday.

It’s just so annoying, it’s definitely my fault as I tried to push myself as I was enjoying it, it had been so positive for my mental health and I felt I had something to work towards. I was only doing it for 2 weeks but now I feel a little lost again. I’m just hoping that once it’s sorted I can muster up the motivation again.

Thank you all again for the advice, I’ll definitely try the Epsom salts, and once my knee is up to it I’ll try just walking on the treadmill for a while before attempting it again.
    I am as inactive as you can get really so it was daft to push myself, I just assumed that if I pushed too hard I’d struggle and therefore pull it back a bit but I was absolutely fine until the point I wasn’t.

Thank you 😊
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,141 Member
    Options
    Do you have proper running shoes? Ideally from a specialized store where they analyse your gait? (Might be tricky depending on your local Covid restrictions)

Aside from that, I'm wondering if you didn't go to fast too soon? Maybe my perspective is skewed (I'm not a 'natural' runner) but 5.5 mph sounds quick for a beginner. I've been running for 15 months (I started at a similar BMI as you) and only now have I started running at 5mph.

I hope your knee feels better soon!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,991 Member
    Options
    The advice with injuries is always going to start with Rest. So, try to stay off the knee and definitely don't run on it until you get to the doctor - it could be made worse.

Sorry you are struggling, C25K is not that easy to get started especially if you are literally going from "couch."
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    It’s really a misnomer, it should be called walk2run with solid base of walking beforehand. Truth be told, walking is really great exercise and running can be hard on the body.
  • FitAgainBy55
    FitAgainBy55 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Definitely go get checked out by a doctor and don't try to return until you are completely healed.

Then, when you return:
    1. If you can afford it and if you have access, go to a running store and get them to fit you for an appropriate running shoe. A good pair of running shoes is likely to cost you $80 - $100+ but they are worth it if you can afford it.
    2. Before returning to the C25K programs, slowly increase your walking until you are consistently getting 10K steps per day without soreness or pain.
    3. After scaling up your steps per day, extrapolate from where you are now and where C25K starts and do your own little intro program and slowly work your way for 2 to 3 weeks until you are up to week 1 and then start C25K

I'm a runner but never followed the C25K program but this is what I mean by doing your own intro program. From what I can see, this is week 1:

"Week 1. For your 3 runs in week 1, you will begin with a brisk 5-minute walk. After this, you will alternate 1 minute of running and 1-and-a-half minutes of walking, for a total of 20 minutes"

So, create your own intro to C25K program which might look like:
    (these are just examples, you have to listen to your body to pick the parameters. start slow and expect a little soreness and then over time you shouldn't be sore even as you increase a little time/distance)
    Week 1: 5 minute walk, alternate: 30 seconds running, 2 minutes walking 4 times
    Week 2: 5 minute walk, alternate: 30 seconds running, 2 minutes walking 5 times
    Week 3: 5 minute walk, alternate: 45 seconds running, 2 minutes walking 5 times
    etc...
    eventually:
    Week 1 C25K: 5 minute walk, alternate: 60 seconds running, 1.5 minutes walking for a total of 20 minutes

• shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    Another consideration is the zombies run couch to 5k has stretching and maybe mobility built into its workouts. It's not in the normal version just the c25k version.
  • 142jmh
    142jmh Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Hi! If you are able to, see a physiotherapist (I know physiotherapy is governed differently in different countries, I would see a physio over a doctor in this case if it was me, but YMMV). They will be able to tell you the problem, come up with a treatment plan, and give you strengthening exercises to help fix it. Rest is great, but it's not necessarily going to fix the issue, and the next time you try to run the injury could very well just pop right up again. Especially if things are feeling unstable, or like something is going to snap, you don't want to get sidelined for months because of an injury! Best to get it checked!

As far as the running goes, if you like it, or you want to challenge yourself to become a runner, then once you are medically okay, go for it! But there are also many other ways to exercise as well so if its not your jam, just find what works for you!

I started running at a BMI of 40, though I started with walking. I did a similar program to c-5k, but it started much slower. 30 seconds running, 4:30 walking, for the first 6 weeks the running went up by 30 seconds, the walking went down by 30 seconds. Even with that gradual increase, I did each week twice before moving on. I finished the program with an hour straight of running (this was a while ago), and now am training for a 50km. If c-5k is too much too fast, adjust it to work for you, or find a different program. I don't know of a single person that did c-5k one time only and was successful (though I'm sure that unicorn person exists somewhere).

I would also suggest checking out some youtube videos (the more the better) on running form. Running is not bad for the body, but it is high impact and does take musculature that people don't necessarily have when they start, it needs to be built up. Poor form is really common, and can lead to more injuries, and injuries kinda suck!

Also, if you can't remember when you last bought running shoes, its probably time for new ones. Its worth it to go to a running store and get properly fitted. Don't be surprised if your running shoes end up being larger than any of your other shoes (for example, mine are a full size and a half larger than any of my other shoes).

I hope you get some answers and that you recover quickly!
  • clearlynotamuggle
    Options
    Firstly an update, I managed to speak to the GP today on the phone and I’ve been told that it’s likely a damaged ligament and that I should rest it for 4-6 weeks and if it’s not any better then I should call back. I was told that I would normally be offered anti-inflammatory medication but I can’t take it so obviously wasn’t.
    I guess this is the current situation (UK), they’re only physically seeing patients when absolutely necessary, I don’t think they’re making physio referrals at the moment and I guess avoiding sending folk for x-rays.
    It’s still bad, the swelling has mostly gone down now but if anything the my mobility is getting worse rather than better.
    I guess this is a lesson learnt.

Thank you all, I’ve read through all your responses and there’s some really helpful information.
    I definitely wasn’t running in proper running shoes, I bought some Adidas trainers (I think they’re called ‘Run Falcon’), I think they were about £40 or less (youth size) so that’s probably a factor.
    I think I probably was running too fast, I can enjoy pushing myself and I have bipolar which unfortunately can mean I don’t always make the best decisions and I think I can take on the world 🙄 I was mostly running at 4.5mph-5mph with quite a few spurts of 5.5mph and a couple as high as 6mph. I should have taken it more slowly.

Thank you all again.
  • eric13296
    eric13296 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Of course call your doctor, but a lot of running pains can be helped with rest and ice or avoided altogether with proper running shoes.
    I used to get horrible shin and knee pain while running and it was from using shoes without enough support for my body. As another person mentioned earlier, a dedicated running shoe store can help you with that.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,930 Member
    Options
    Firstly an update, I managed to speak to the GP today on the phone and I’ve been told that it’s likely a damaged ligament and that I should rest it for 4-6 weeks and if it’s not any better then I should call back. I was told that I would normally be offered anti-inflammatory medication but I can’t take it so obviously wasn’t.
    I guess this is the current situation (UK), they’re only physically seeing patients when absolutely necessary, I don’t think they’re making physio referrals at the moment and I guess avoiding sending folk for x-rays.
    It’s still bad, the swelling has mostly gone down now but if anything the my mobility is getting worse rather than better.
    I guess this is a lesson learnt.

Thank you all, I’ve read through all your responses and there’s some really helpful information.
    I definitely wasn’t running in proper running shoes, I bought some Adidas trainers (I think they’re called ‘Run Falcon’), I think they were about £40 or less (youth size) so that’s probably a factor.
    I think I probably was running too fast, I can enjoy pushing myself and I have bipolar which unfortunately can mean I don’t always make the best decisions and I think I can take on the world 🙄 I was mostly running at 4.5mph-5mph with quite a few spurts of 5.5mph and a couple as high as 6mph. I should have taken it more slowly.

Thank you all again.

Thanks for the update!

Yes, when I was in the military, not overweight or sedentary, and jogging regularly, I would run 5 miles in an hour, so I agree with "too fast too soon" and also with the posters who suggest "couch to walk to run."

Do give yourself plenty of time to heal. I didn't with a knee injury in 2009 and it still plagues me to this day. You can take this opportunity to work on upper body strength :)