what is potassium in and how much of it should we eat?

Options
Hi all,

I have been looking through my potassium intake and have noticed that I am VERY low in it.
What is it that potassium does? Is it true that I will retain water from it?
I have had couple days as low as 0 potassium and was wondering how much I should eat of it and what it is in?

Thanks all :)

Replies

• beach_bum_gurl
    Options
    bananas are a great source of potassium~
  • jennyfair24
    jennyfair24 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Sweet potatoes/yams are great, bananas are good too : )
  • healthieramanda
    healthieramanda Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Hiya! Potassium essentially helps your body maintain it's normal pH level, as well as reducing blood pressure, and converting glucose to glycogen (which gives your muscles energy). Essentially, being low on potassium and high in sodium means that your body will retain water to maintain it's balance with sodium. Increasing your intake of potassium helps with the excretion of sodium. Food rich in potassium are fresh fruits, vegetables, soybean flour, shellfish, beans, wheat bran, salad, nuts, cereals, meat, milk, coffee and tea.
  • trelm249
    trelm249 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Potassium is an essential electrolyte (one of many) used by your body. You will notice the lack of it when you increase your activity level. This is most obvious when your muscles cramp.

Foods that can help with this are the afore mentioned banana, almonds, some leafy greens, and other foods.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Lots of fruits and vegetables have potassium. Bananas, avocados, dates, figs, kiwi, melon, oranges, almonds, peanuts, Brazil nuts, beans, broccoli, carrots, Brussels sprouts, tomatoes, potatoes, sweet potatoes, spinach, soybeans, lentils.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Potassium cancels out sodium. Sodium causes you to retain water. Even if you have kept your sodium below allowable levels, if you have not eaten enough potassium, then you will still retain water.

You can find potassium in just about any fruit or vegetable but some of the foods that I most often eat to get potassium are:

Bananas
    Watermelon
    Brocolli
    Canned tomatoes
    Dried beans (I usually eat kidney beans in a chili with the tomatoes.)
    Skim milk
    Orange juice
    Carrots
  • bluebird321
    bluebird321 Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    avocado is a great source for potassium.